More IRS Budget Cuts

Practical and Practice issues for Professionals who practice in the area of taxation. Moral, social and economic issues relating to taxes, including international issues, the U.S. Internal Revenue Code, state tax issues, etc. Not for "tax protestor" issues, which should be posted in the "tax protestor" forum above. The advice or opinion given herein should not be relied on for any purpose whatsoever. Also examines cookie-cutter deals that have no economic substance but exist only to generate losses, as marketed by everybody from solo practitioner tax lawyers to the major accounting firms.
Burnaby49
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians

Re: More IRS Budget Cuts

Post by Burnaby49 »

Not directly on topic but of interest given my career as an ex CRA auditor. One not really applicable in Canada is the dangerous part. In my experience just a job.

http://www.cracked.com/article_21175_wh ... agent.html

I only had one taxpayer that was a concern about violence. He owned a fish processing plant and the issue was the value of the business at a specific date. He kept trying to get the appeals section to agree to his value by screaming and threatening to the point that the RCMP attended all the meetings. When an agreement was finally concluded he broke it the next day by coming in unannounced screaming and ranting demanding a better deal. Appeals gave up and told him to take it to court. I had to testify against him. I was told not to worry, there would be plenty of RCMP at the hearing. Great.

He had a history of violence, two ex wives and separated from his third, he used to beat them all up. A few days before the court hearing the problem solved itself. He was in my morning paper shot dead by police. He'd gone to his separated wife's house, beat her up and, when she fled, trashed the house. Ripped out fixtures, threw furniture through the windows, that kind of thing. When the police arrived he came out ranting and waving a gun at them so they shot him. Worked for me and apparently everybody else because there were no complaints whatever about the shooting. The estate quickly dropped the appeal and settled.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
operabuff
Pirate
Pirate

Post by operabuff »

Looks like more cuts may be on the way:

http://www.usnews.com/news/business/art ... ice-at-irs
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

And yet more reasons to ... oops, sorry, no politics. :shrug:
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
LaVidaRoja
Basileus Quatlooseus

Post by LaVidaRoja »

My friends who are still working report that the message from Washington appears to be "Beatings will continue until morale improves."
Little boys who tell lies grow up to be weathermen.
operabuff
Pirate
Pirate

Post by operabuff »

Looks like the use of private debt collectors may return. Apparently it's in the Senate version of the highway bill. Here's an NYT editorial on the subject. http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/14/opini ... -work.html

Based on the editorial, it has some bipartisan support so maybe it will pass. Which would be unfortunate - it hasn't worked as a revenue raiser in the past.
AndyK
Illuminatian Revenue Supremo Emeritus

Post by AndyK »

:sarcasmon:

I disagree with Operabuff. In the past, is SIGNIFICANTLY raised revenue -- for the private debt collectors.
Taxes are the price we pay for a free society and to cover the responsibilities of the evaders
fortinbras
Princeps Wooloosia

Post by fortinbras »

Since the IRS is the principal source of revenue for the govt, the deliberate shortage of IRS staff means that clever and well-lawyered tax dodgers will escape, while the penny-ante tax cheats and people who simply made mistakes will be squeezed for the maximum.

It also means that incentive will shift to the people collecting student loans, veterans home loans, and other debts to the federal govt, to squeeze the debtors to the maximums, compromise as little as possible, and so forth.
operabuff
Pirate
Pirate

Post by operabuff »

AndyK wrote::sarcasmon:

I disagree with Operabuff. In the past, is SIGNIFICANTLY raised revenue -- for the private debt collectors.
Fair point - probably why the proposal keeps on coming back.
Number Six
Hereditary Margrave of Mooloosia

Post by Number Six »

I agree with these concerns of private tax collection. Have any privatizations of major government functions ever been successful?
'There are two kinds of injustice: the first is found in those who do an injury, the second in those who fail to protect another from injury when they can.' (Roman. Cicero, De Off. I. vii)

'Choose loss rather than shameful gains.' (Chilon Fr. 10. Diels)
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

fortinbras wrote:Since the IRS is the principal source of revenue for the govt, the deliberate shortage of IRS staff means that clever and well-lawyered tax dodgers will escape....
I have been seeing the deterioration at the IRS for some time now. For example, lately it is almost impossible to get through to the Tax Practitioner Hotline. Hopefully it will get a little better after the September 15 tax deadline. I suspect that the personnel shortage may be partly to blame, but I don't know for sure.
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

Even though we are in the middle of tax season, I'm finding that it's still easier to get through to the IRS Practitioner Priority Service (the Hotline) than it was last fall.

Still, the problems of funding and training remain. I was on the phone for about 15 minutes earlier today, waiting to talk to someone at the IRS about requesting data on an individual taxpayer in bankruptcy. The IRS employee I talked with said she had been working for the IRS practitioner hotline for nine years, and yet she had never heard of the section 6103 disclosure rules applicable to my particular case (which involve a required disclosure of confidential information by the IRS to a third party -- even without the taxpayer's permission). She was also unfamiliar with the relevant Internal Revenue Manual provisions.

Granted, these kinds of problems happen only about 10 or 20 percent of the time when I call the IRS. I guess it's a small miracle that I don't have more problems obtaining disclosures.

The wait "on hold" right now (Friday, March 25) appears to be about 15 minutes.
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet