Changes in certain tax return due dates

Practical and Practice issues for Professionals who practice in the area of taxation. Moral, social and economic issues relating to taxes, including international issues, the U.S. Internal Revenue Code, state tax issues, etc. Not for "tax protestor" issues, which should be posted in the "tax protestor" forum above. The advice or opinion given herein should not be relied on for any purpose whatsoever. Also examines cookie-cutter deals that have no economic substance but exist only to generate losses, as marketed by everybody from solo practitioner tax lawyers to the major accounting firms.
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Changes in certain tax return due dates

Post by Famspear »

On July 31, 2015, President Obama signed the Surface Transportation and Veterans Health Care Choice Improvement Act of 2015 (H.R. 3236). Section 2006 of the Act amends various provisions of the Internal Revenue Code to change various tax return due dates.

Some of the more exciting changes:

1. Beginning with the 2016 calendar tax year, the Form 1065 (for a partnership) will be due March 15, 2017. Thus, partnership and S corporation returns will be due on the same day.

2. Beginning with the 2016 calendar tax year, Form 1120 (for a C corporation) will be due April 15, 2017 (actually, a few days later, as April 15, 2017 falls on a Saturday).

:)
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
LaVidaRoja
Basileus Quatlooseus

Re: Changes in certain tax return due dates

Post by LaVidaRoja »

Any change to the 1041?
Little boys who tell lies grow up to be weathermen.
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

LaVidaRoja wrote:Any change to the 1041?
No, I don't see anything in the Act that changes the April 15th due date for the Form 1041.
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
NYGman
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by NYGman »

My issue has always been the partnership and individual date being the same, always causing issues. Putting Partnerships at March, give a one month lag between the issuance of the K1 and the Individual tax return. It also makes sense the 1041 stay where it is. While it will be a pain for some funds, we still have extensions :)
The Hardest Thing in the World to Understand is Income Taxes -Albert Einstein

Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose - As sung by Janis Joplin (and others) Written by Kris Kristofferson and Fred Foster.
Arthur Rubin
Tupa-O-Quatloosia

Post by Arthur Rubin »

I could be wrong, but I believe the 1041 extension is reduced from 6 months to 5-1/2 months: September 30 for calendar year estates and trusts. Note also the odd provision for corporations with a June end of the fiscal year; the change of due date from September 15 to October 15 is deferred for 10 years
Arthur Rubin, unemployed tax preparer and aerospace engineer
ImageJoin the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign!

Butterflies are free. T-shirts are $19.95 $24.95 $29.95