Let's Get Rid Of Tax Court

Practical and Practice issues for Professionals who practice in the area of taxation. Moral, social and economic issues relating to taxes, including international issues, the U.S. Internal Revenue Code, state tax issues, etc. Not for "tax protestor" issues, which should be posted in the "tax protestor" forum above. The advice or opinion given herein should not be relied on for any purpose whatsoever. Also examines cookie-cutter deals that have no economic substance but exist only to generate losses, as marketed by everybody from solo practitioner tax lawyers to the major accounting firms.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Let's Get Rid Of Tax Court

Post by The Observer »

In the case of Stanley Battat & Zmira Battat v. Commissioner of Internal Revenue, the petitioners filed a motion to disqualify all Tax Court Judges and to declare unconstitutional I.R.C. sec. 7443(f), which authorizes the President to remove Tax Court Judges "after notice and opportunity for public hearing, for inefficiency, neglect of duty, or malfeasance in office, but for no other cause."

I have not provided the text of the Tax Court decision because (1) it was very lengthy, (2) there was no mention in the case of frivolous argumets or the filers being tax protesters, and (3) I could not find any evidence of the petitioners being protesters. However, the premise of the plaintiffs seems to be "out there" in terms of the belief that they can suddenly eliminate a court system that is provided for by the Constitutuion. The Battat's argument is that the power of the President to remove Tax Court judges somehow violates the "separation of powers" principle; this is a silly argument for a number of obvious reasons.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Cpt Banjo
Fretful leader of the Quat Quartet

Re: Let's Get Rid Of Tax Court

Post by Cpt Banjo »

The petitioners seemed to overlook the fact that if all of the Tax Court judges were disqualified the deficiency asserted against them by the IRS would remain. So what was the purpose in filing a petition in the Tax Court in the first place, other than to obtain a ruling that not only doesn't help their tax situation but has the adverse consequence of forcing them to pay the deficiency and sue for a refund in a District Court or the Court of Federal Claims?
"Run get the pitcher, get the baby some beer." Rev. Gary Davis
Burnaby49
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians

Post by Burnaby49 »

Same in Canada. Under law once the Canada Revenue Agency reassesses a tax return the reassessment is legally binding unless overturned through a successful appeal to the Tax Court of Canada. Under current legislation only the Tax Court can hear appeals from reassessments. No other court has jurisdiction. So if the Tax Court suddenly disappeared there would be no way to challenge assessments until such time as the federal government enacted new legislation.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
Dr. Caligari
J.D., Miskatonic University School of Crickets

Post by Dr. Caligari »

the Observer wrote:However, the premise of the plaintiffs seems to be "out there" in terms of the belief that they can suddenly eliminate a court system that is provided for by the Constitutuion.
The Tax Court was not "created by the Constitution", nor was it it even created by Congress under Article III of the Constitution, which authorizes Congress to create courts inferior to the U.S. Supreme Court. The constitutionality of the Tax Court has been upheld by prior cases but, if this were a new question, the constitutional validity of the Tax Court would present a serious, non-frivolous issue.
the Observer wrote:The Battat's argument is that the power of the President to remove Tax Court judges somehow violates the "separation of powers" principle; this is a silly argument for a number of obvious reasons.
Not silly at all, actually. Under Article III of the Constitution, the President cannot remove federal judges, who serve for life unless impeached. Tax Court judges are removable because the courts have held that the Tax Court is a sort-of court, but not a real Article III court. The argument is probably foreclosed by precedent but again, as a new question, would be far from frivolous.
Dr. Caligari
(Du musst Caligari werden!)
fortinbras
Princeps Wooloosia

Post by fortinbras »

Decisions of the US Tax Court are appealable. The Tax Court is an Article I court created by Congress, and one of the very very few courts (the Court of Veterans Claims is another) where nonlawyers may represent litigants. The decisions of the Tax Court generally articulate the reasoning for the decision, esp if it goes against the taxpayer, which is sometimes enough to discourage that person from attempting an appeal.
Duke2Earl
Eighth Operator of the Delusional Mooloo

Post by Duke2Earl »

There is another very important aspect of Tax Court. It is the only way to judicially question the IRS assessment without paying up first. If not for Tax Court, the only way to get a judicial adjudication of an IRS assessment would be to pay up first, every cent they claimed, and then sue for a refund.
My choice early in life was to either be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politican. And to tell the truth there's hardly any difference.

Harry S Truman
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

Duke2Earl wrote:There is another very important aspect of Tax Court. It is the only way to judicially question the IRS assessment without paying up first. If not for Tax Court, the only way to get a judicial adjudication of an IRS assessment would be to pay up first, every cent they claimed, and then sue for a refund.
Or, without first paying, file a bankruptcy petition and try to obtain a Court determination under 11 USC section 505(a).
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Dr. Caligari wrote:The Tax Court was not "created by the Constitution"...
I am not sure where you are quoting from, I had said "provided for by the Constitution" which I think is more accurate since court rulings have confirmed that Congress has the power to create an Article 1 court.
Dr. Caligari wrote:Not silly at all, actually.
Except it is silly since, regardless of whether this is a "new" question, the outcome was predictable. In addition, as others have pointed out, elimination of the court would not have been in the petitioners' long term interest.

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
fortinbras
Princeps Wooloosia

Post by fortinbras »

The Constitution (Art. I, sec. 8, cl. 9) gives Congress the power "to constitute tribunals inferior to the Supreme Court;...."
and (Art. III, sec. 1) "... such inferior [to the Supreme Court] courts as the Congress may from time to time ordain and establish."

It is perfectly clear that the US Tax Court is a tribunal inferior to the Supreme Court and thus complies with both provisions.
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

IIRC the Tax Court(s) started life as an administrative board, U.S. Board of Tax Appeals, created by Congress in 1924, to administratively hear tax claims, as was the case with many Federal agencies, primarily to give an administrative recourse, which is what they still are, and make it less complicated than having to go to court right off the bat, which is what they still do. In 1942 Congress changed them in to Tax Court of the United States. They were and are the administrative remedy provided that needs to be exhausted before actually going to Dist court. At some point, and I remember hearing the reason why, but don't remember it, it was decided to fancy up their names and title and call them courts instead of a board
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Dr. Caligari
J.D., Miskatonic University School of Crickets

Post by Dr. Caligari »

fortinbra wrote:It is perfectly clear that the US Tax Court is a tribunal inferior to the Supreme Court and thus complies with both provisions.
It is certainly clear that the Tax Court is not created under Article III, because its judges do not have the protections Article III gives to all judges of the "inferior courts," including life tenure.

it has been held that the Tax Court is a valid "Article I court," and I am not suggesting that any court today would hold differently. But I am not sure that the Founders actually contemplated Congress creating courts under Article I that weren't also "courts" under Article III.
Dr. Caligari
(Du musst Caligari werden!)
jcolvin2
Grand Master Consul of Quatloosia

Post by jcolvin2 »

notorial dissent wrote:In 1942 Congress changed them in to Tax Court of the United States. They were and are the administrative remedy provided that needs to be exhausted before actually going to Dist court. At some point, and I remember hearing the reason why, but don't remember it, it was decided to fancy up their names and title and call them courts instead of a board
The Tax Court was never part of the administrative remedies that needed to be exhausted before going to district court. I think even the old BTA cases were appealed to the Circuit Courts if Appeal.

If a case is brought in Tax Court, the court gains jurisdiction over the entire year, and a later refund suit cannot be brought in district court. The converse is not true. A district court only gains jurisdiction over the refund claim. Accordingly, even after a district court rules on a refund claim, it is possible for the government to issue a SNOD and Tax Court litigation to ensue (though claim or issue preclusion would almost certainly apply to matters decided before the district court)
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Moved this thread to a more appropriate forum.

jcolvin2
Grand Master Consul of Quatloosia

Post by jcolvin2 »

Some analysis of the Battat decision:

http://procedurallytaxing.com/tax-court ... al-part-i/