Questionable CPA request

Practical and Practice issues for Professionals who practice in the area of taxation. Moral, social and economic issues relating to taxes, including international issues, the U.S. Internal Revenue Code, state tax issues, etc. Not for "tax protestor" issues, which should be posted in the "tax protestor" forum above. The advice or opinion given herein should not be relied on for any purpose whatsoever. Also examines cookie-cutter deals that have no economic substance but exist only to generate losses, as marketed by everybody from solo practitioner tax lawyers to the major accounting firms.
Arthur Rubin
Tupa-O-Quatloosia

Questionable CPA request

Post by Arthur Rubin »

On JustAnswer, the following question was asked in the "Tax" category. All misspellings and capitalizations are in the original. Only the name of the CPA is redacted:
I AM A CPA AND ONE MY MY CLIENTS WHO OWNED A CLOSELY HELD RESTAURANT CORPORATION IN NJ DIED AFTER CONTRACTING CORONAVIRUS IN MARCH 2020. HIS RESIDENCE WAS OWNED 100% BY HIS SPOUSE. HIS BUSINESS WAS OWNED 100% BY HIM AND THE PROPERTY OF THE BUSINESS WAS CO-OWNED 50-50 BY HE AND HIS BROTHER. HE HAD LIFE INSURANCE POLICIES WHICH NAMED HIS SPOUSE AS BENEFICIARY BUT ALSO HAD A POLICY WHICH NAMED HIS ESTATE AS BENEFICIARY. HE HAD NOMINAL SECURITIES IN HIS OWN NAME. WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE TO FILE A NJ TRANSFER INHERITANCE TAX RETURN -ITR- BASED ON THE ABOVE INFORMATION. [redacted] CPA
Should I report him to the NJ CPA board? Filing NJ inheritance tax returns is something a CPA should know how to do, or at least know how to ask, but ALL CAPITALS?
Arthur Rubin, unemployed tax preparer and aerospace engineer
ImageJoin the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign!

Butterflies are free. T-shirts are $19.95 $24.95 $29.95
Pirate Purveyor of the Last Word

Re: Questionable CPA request

Post by . »

Obviously, a capital offense.
All the States incorporated daughter corporations for transaction of business in the 1960s or so. - Some voice in Van Pelt's head, circa 2006.
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

Nope. Just a StrawCorpse.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

We could be generous and assume that this CPA fell asleep in class when inheritance tax was discussed.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Number Six
Hereditary Margrave of Mooloosia

Post by Number Six »

The problem of reporting stuff like that is you would have to have greater evidence of violations. I once reported a CPA who gave me three different returns for a given year varying by 2x as if it were up to me how much to pay. After investigating the Maryland oversight authority said that they did not find misconduct.
'There are two kinds of injustice: the first is found in those who do an injury, the second in those who fail to protect another from injury when they can.' (Roman. Cicero, De Off. I. vii)

'Choose loss rather than shameful gains.' (Chilon Fr. 10. Diels)
NYGman
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by NYGman »

I don't think a CPA, or even a Lawyer for that matter, should or even could know everything about all possible filings in all states, but I would think they should have the necessary skills to look up what they don't know, interpreted form instructions, and be able to figure out how to do something like this themselves. However, I would also think that if you want a CPA to do a type of filing, you should seek out a CPA who specializes in that area. I used to work on Partnership Form 1065 and REIT 1120-REIT returns. While I could figure out how to file other forms like a 1041 form for a trusts and estates, or a 990 for a an Exempt entity, or even 1120-RIC returns, I am no expert. While I can look up how to do them, read the form instructions, and and some concepts transfer, I would be able to pull a filing together but it may not be as tax efficient as someone who does those returns all the time.

While I have no issue asking for help from experts, if I have a paying client, I don't think it is appropriate to ask on an open public internet forum. Best to either engage an expert to prepare for you, or find some you know to call, and talk about what is required. I would also question why they would want to prepare this return, if they don't understand how to, and why they are not doing the right thing, and recommend another CPA, or subcontract (hire) one themselves. I know a few CPAs that freelance work for accountants especially around busy season or in areas where they are not experts, one is even in NJ.
The Hardest Thing in the World to Understand is Income Taxes -Albert Einstein

Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose - As sung by Janis Joplin (and others) Written by Kris Kristofferson and Fred Foster.
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

So you think the poster is a CPA??? Why??? Just my impression, but whoever set that dumpster fire up did the restaurant owner, wife, and brother no favors.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
NYGman

Post by NYGman »

I don't think adding "I AM A CPA AND ONE MY MY CLIENTS" to the start of a question adds anything to the question, in fact it could be completely omitted, and changed to "I am trying to help one of my friends" and likely received better responses than what I expect the CPA to get here. However, Arthur has the full name and could look him up to confirm. It may well be a CPA, just not a very good one.
The Hardest Thing in the World to Understand is Income Taxes -Albert Einstein

Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose - As sung by Janis Joplin (and others) Written by Kris Kristofferson and Fred Foster.