Fun with the IRS

Practical and Practice issues for Professionals who practice in the area of taxation. Moral, social and economic issues relating to taxes, including international issues, the U.S. Internal Revenue Code, state tax issues, etc. Not for "tax protestor" issues, which should be posted in the "tax protestor" forum above. The advice or opinion given herein should not be relied on for any purpose whatsoever. Also examines cookie-cutter deals that have no economic substance but exist only to generate losses, as marketed by everybody from solo practitioner tax lawyers to the major accounting firms.
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Re: Fun with the IRS

Post by Demosthenes »

If the IRS gives you grief, this is the kind of nonsense your Congressman might help with.
Demo.
Quixote
Quatloosian Master of Deception

Post by Quixote »

One hand is not aware of what the other is doing at the IRS.
Close. One hand doesn't know what the other hundreds of hands are doing. The amended return filed 6/3 probably won't be touched for weeks. It isn't clear from your post why you needed to file one. Was the information on the 1099-R different from the information you supplied IRS on Form 4852? (I assume when you say that you used the last pay stub, you meant you used the information on the pay stub to complete a Form 4852.)
"Here is a fundamental question to ask yourself- what is the goal of the income tax scam? I think it is a means to extract wealth from the masses and give it to a parasite class." Skankbeat
Quixote
Quatloosian Master of Deception

Post by Quixote »

Demosthenes wrote:If the IRS gives you grief, this is the kind of nonsense your Congressman might help with.
It's almost always faster to go through the Taxpayer Advocate Service (TAS). Typically, constituent inquiries concerning the IRS sit on a staffer's desk for about a month and are then forwarded to TAS.
"Here is a fundamental question to ask yourself- what is the goal of the income tax scam? I think it is a means to extract wealth from the masses and give it to a parasite class." Skankbeat
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Post by Demosthenes »

One way to speed that up is to make an appointment at the Congressman's constituent office. A face to face meeting does wonders to make the problem more human.
Demo.
Kimokeo

Post by Kimokeo »

8-12 weeks to process.

Do yourself a favor. Contact the IRS, and while speaking nicely, ask them if the billing notices are on hold. If so, how long of a hold?

It's a real pain to be told 8-12 weeks when the bills are sent every 4-6 weeks. By the time they complete the process, you could be in collections.
Kimokeo

Post by Kimokeo »

"Besides, before it got to be a collection matter, I would request a face-to-face, which would settle it once and for all. "

Not necessarily, unfortunately.

Four weeks? If it takes 8-12, I hope you have already waited 8 weeks for them to only place a 4-week hold. Otherwise, you need them to increase that timeframe. There is no reason you should be receiving notices when there is an amended return to process that will change things.

If they won't increase the timeframe, you'll need to contact them in 3 weeks. If you wait until the 4th week, chances are there'll be an overlap and the next bill will be issued. With each mis-step, you're one step closer to a levy by collections.

If you receive the dreaded "intent to levy notice", talk to the Taxpayer Advocate in your State. Blue pages, under IRS. Call them. Hopefully you won't need to but sometimes it is necessary when the billings are moving faster than the processing.
LOBO

Post by LOBO »

When an amended return is assigned, a 15 week hold on notices should be automatically entered on your account for the year you filed.

Unfortunately, it might not be looked at before the 8-12 week timeframe expires. Whenever there is an overload of phone calls, the people who handle paper inventory (1040X's, injured spouse claims, etc...) are taken off of it and put on the toll free lines. Most years, this only happens until April. This year, because of an avalanche of calls concerning the stimulus refund (and still coming), the 1040X inventory isn't even looked at when the timeframe expires.

You may want to give the toll free after the 12th week and (1) ask about the status of your 1040X and (2) get the notice hold extended.
LOBO

Post by LOBO »

="CaptainKickbackWell, today I received a phone message from the tax payer advocate's office informing me that a manual refund would be issued, and it would include the refund amound, economic incentive check and interest. In short, the IRS agreed with my returns and agreed that I was right.
Congraulations! Make sure you scan in a copy of the check so we can post it on the victory page!

Oops..wrong forum.... :wink:

Side note...that does seem like a long time for ATAO to finish the case.