Allegations of IRS retaliation

Practical and Practice issues for Professionals who practice in the area of taxation. Moral, social and economic issues relating to taxes, including international issues, the U.S. Internal Revenue Code, state tax issues, etc. Not for "tax protestor" issues, which should be posted in the "tax protestor" forum above. The advice or opinion given herein should not be relied on for any purpose whatsoever. Also examines cookie-cutter deals that have no economic substance but exist only to generate losses, as marketed by everybody from solo practitioner tax lawyers to the major accounting firms.
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Allegations of IRS retaliation

Post by Famspear »

From Paul Caron's weblog, reporting on material from the New Jersey Law Journal:

[February 22, 2009]
Tax Lawyer Alleges IRS Retaliated Against Him for Complaint About Agent

New Jersey Law Journal: Lawyer Charges IRS Retaliated Against Him for Complaint Over Agent's Practices, by Mary Pat Gallagher:

Princeton, N.J., tax lawyer Robert Kenny says he's paying a steep price for taking on the IRS on behalf of clients: a retaliatory strike that has put his livelihood and his law license at risk.

In a federal court suit, Kenny alleges that when he complained to the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration that an IRS agent was telling taxpayers to forgo representation, the IRS lodged a professional complaint against him.

Though the suit ... was dismissed, Kenny says he is appealing. According to his suit, Kenny filed three complaints with TIGTA over a three-year period, accusing IRS agent Steven Wald of deterring taxpayers from hiring representatives and, when they did so, trying to interfere with them. ...

[A]n IRS investigation of Kenny's tax records ... uncovered two late-filed returns, for 2001 and 2005 ... Kenny, who is also a CPA, says his failure to obtain an extension was careless but when he realized his error, he filed accurate returns and paid what he owed, well before the IRS began its probe. ...

Last May 14, however, he heard from the IRS Office of Professional Responsibility ... [which] accused him of willful failure to file a return, as well as giving false information and attempting to influence an IRS employee by making false accusations. If the charges stick, Kenny can be permanently barred from IRS practice, suspended, censured or fined. In addition, some states will disbar a lawyer whose right to practice before the IRS is revoked, and New Jersey might be one of them, says Kenny.

Last July, after he learned of the OPR action, Kenny filed another complaint with TIGTA, asserting that he had been falsely accused in retaliation for his complaints against Wald. He says he does not know the status of that complaint or of the pending OPR matter. The following month, he sued. ...

He issued a press release when he filed his complaint, raised it on an ABA listserv and spoke with lawyers knowledgeable about that area of the law. One of them is Kevin Thorn, of Williams Mullen in Washington, D.C., who once worked for the OPR and devotes a large part of his practice to representing lawyers and accountants in OPR proceedings.

"Tax practitioners should sit up and take notice of this," he says. There seems to be a connection between Kenny's filing of a TIGTA complaint and the OPR complaint against him, says Thorn ...

New Jersey tax lawyer Dennis Haase [says] ... "I have had clients come to me and say the IRS told them 'you don't need someone to represent you, you only need to produce the records,'" says Haase, of Sweeney Lev in Montclair. "We find it chilling. We find it scary," says Barton Goodeve, an accountant in Peterborough, N.H. ...
(bolding added)

http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog ... laint.html

Without commenting on the merits of Mr. Kenny's allegations, or on the merits of the allegations against him, I say that I would take a pretty dim view of a statement by an IRS employee appearing to discourage a taxpayer from seeking representation, if it could be proven that such a statement had been made.
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
LOBO

Re: Allegations of IRS retaliation

Post by LOBO »

Famspear wrote:From Paul Caron's weblog, reporting on material from the New Jersey Law Journal:

[February 22, 2009]

New Jersey tax lawyer Dennis Haase [says] ... "I have had clients come to me and say the IRS told them 'you don't need someone to represent you, you only need to produce the records,'" says Haase, of Sweeney Lev in Montclair. "We find it chilling. We find it scary," says Barton Goodeve, an accountant in Peterborough, N.H. ...
(bolding added)
I wonder what the context is. I have taxpayers ask on the toll free line all the time if they need to hire someone for a certain issue. I always say its up to them. Heck, I've had people ask if they needed a lawyer when all they needed to give me was an SSN to correct a math error. But I could see someone saying if asked that they don't NEED to, as in its not a requirement.
Last edited by LOBO on Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Re: Allegations of IRS retaliation

Post by Famspear »

LOBO wrote:
Famspear wrote:From Paul Caron's weblog, reporting on material from the New Jersey Law Journal:

[February 22, 2009]

(bolding added)
I wonder what the context is. I have taxpayers ask on the toll free line all the time if they need to hire someone for a certain issue. I always say its up to them. Heck, I've had people ask if they needed a lawyer when all they needed to give me was an SSN to correct a math error. But I could see someone saying is asked that they don't NEED to, as in its not a requirement.
I see what you mean. Good point.
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet