Ministers or Clergy Reporting Income

Practical and Practice issues for Professionals who practice in the area of taxation. Moral, social and economic issues relating to taxes, including international issues, the U.S. Internal Revenue Code, state tax issues, etc. Not for "tax protestor" issues, which should be posted in the "tax protestor" forum above. The advice or opinion given herein should not be relied on for any purpose whatsoever. Also examines cookie-cutter deals that have no economic substance but exist only to generate losses, as marketed by everybody from solo practitioner tax lawyers to the major accounting firms.
jcmustang

Ministers or Clergy Reporting Income

Post by jcmustang »

I am a tax professional (new at that) and have an interesting client. My client is a licensed minister, filed for an received exemption (form 4361) from self-employment tax. He has about $6,500.00 in income from churches that supported him while he was starting a church.

Questions:

1. Would this income would be reported on Schedule C?

2. If yes, the income is not subject to SE tax, how do I tell the IRS this on the return?

I am certain I have more questions, but any help from the great minds at Quatloos would be appreciated.
Quixote
Quatloosian Master of Deception

Re: Ministers or Clergy Reporting Income

Post by Quixote »

1) yes.

2) Write "Exempt - Form 4361" on the dotted line next to line 57 on Form 1040. Pub 517, page 10.
"Here is a fundamental question to ask yourself- what is the goal of the income tax scam? I think it is a means to extract wealth from the masses and give it to a parasite class." Skankbeat
Number Six
Hereditary Margrave of Mooloosia

Re: Ministers or Clergy Reporting Income

Post by Number Six »

A Priest, a Rabbi, and a Baptist pastor are having an ecumenical discussion on how they determine personal or in house salary vs. what they save for the parish expenses.
The Priest speaks first--"My method is to put all collections on a table with a small circle drawn. What is inside, I keep, what is outside the circle, goes to the larger parish expense and the diocese." Next the Baptist speaks up--"I place all collections on the floor with a square imposed over the monies. What is outside the square, I keep, what is inside, goes to the church expenses." Finally the Rabbi speaks up. "Your methods are just plain stupid. I throw all collections in the air. What God, Almighty doesn't catch, I keep."
'There are two kinds of injustice: the first is found in those who do an injury, the second in those who fail to protect another from injury when they can.' (Roman. Cicero, De Off. I. vii)

'Choose loss rather than shameful gains.' (Chilon Fr. 10. Diels)