WSJ Tax Reporter Tom Herman Calls It Quits

Practical and Practice issues for Professionals who practice in the area of taxation. Moral, social and economic issues relating to taxes, including international issues, the U.S. Internal Revenue Code, state tax issues, etc. Not for "tax protestor" issues, which should be posted in the "tax protestor" forum above. The advice or opinion given herein should not be relied on for any purpose whatsoever. Also examines cookie-cutter deals that have no economic substance but exist only to generate losses, as marketed by everybody from solo practitioner tax lawyers to the major accounting firms.
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

WSJ Tax Reporter Tom Herman Calls It Quits

Post by wserra »

On those rare occasions when I would read articles about tax issues not related to TPs, they would invariably be from either David Cay Johnston or Tom Herman. Johnston, of course, quit the Times a couple of years ago. Now, fittingly, Herman quit the Journal on April 15. Here is his goodbye.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Re: WSJ Tax Reporter Tom Herman Calls It Quits

Post by Demosthenes »

Tom is an old friend of mine. He's truly a class act.
Demo.
Number Six
Hereditary Margrave of Mooloosia

Post by Number Six »

I hope there will be equally competant people on tax issues to replace him.
IMHO Lynette Browning is doing an excellent job at The New York Times. Those with extensive knowledge on federal taxes in theory and practice who also write well should be paid well for their articles. It is tragic that the great newspapers have had such a decline in revenue. The internet is not the best replacement for the sort of coverage and access a NYT page 1 article has in a Sunday edition.

But as for Mr. Herman's bromide regarding the impossibility of getting an honest return according to the law--I would beg to differ. The problem is not the IRS code but the interpreters of it. I have had a lot of trouble just finding an honest accountant. They all want to make me cheat. I will be amending last week's return--even after giving the accountant all my bank records for 2008, and W-2's, he prepared a return on the last day that offends my conscience. When I insisted putting in sales of tangibles, he warned against it, "I don't want you to go to jail", that was included. I'm a little tired of this sort of intimidation to do the wrong thing. I have no fear of any agency. It will be amended and I will be paying the full amount.
'There are two kinds of injustice: the first is found in those who do an injury, the second in those who fail to protect another from injury when they can.' (Roman. Cicero, De Off. I. vii)

'Choose loss rather than shameful gains.' (Chilon Fr. 10. Diels)
Nikki

Post by Nikki »

One of the senior tax Partners at Price Waterhouse once said to me, "When you drop the tax return in the mailbox, if you don't feel slightly nervous then you overpaid."
Prof
El Pontificator de Porceline Precepts

Post by Prof »

Nikki wrote:One of the senior tax Partners at Price Waterhouse once said to me, "When you drop the tax return in the mailbox, if you don't feel slightly nervous then you overpaid."
A friend once remarked, "I look at a 1040 as my opening offer to the IRS." If you have good records, and a fairly simple finacial life, that "opening offer" can be fairly aggressive and still let you sleep soundly.
"My Health is Better in November."
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Post by Demosthenes »

Number Six wrote:I hope there will be equally competant people on tax issues to replace him.
IMHO Lynette Browning is doing an excellent job at The New York Times.
Lynnley, like Tom Herman, is a FOQ*.

*Friend o' Quatloos.
Demo.