Pres-O to double IRS enforcement budget

Practical and Practice issues for Professionals who practice in the area of taxation. Moral, social and economic issues relating to taxes, including international issues, the U.S. Internal Revenue Code, state tax issues, etc. Not for "tax protestor" issues, which should be posted in the "tax protestor" forum above. The advice or opinion given herein should not be relied on for any purpose whatsoever. Also examines cookie-cutter deals that have no economic substance but exist only to generate losses, as marketed by everybody from solo practitioner tax lawyers to the major accounting firms.
absdes96
Scalawag
Scalawag

Re: Pres-O to double IRS enforcement budget

Post by absdes96 »

But, it may be good time to send in a resume to the IRS. Hmmmm....
The mongoose of a disciplined mind and will is more than a match for the cobra of desire and emotion. - Professor Dallas Willard, USC
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

What a waste. Instead of simplification, the geniuses in Washington will buy and throw cotton balls at the bullet wounds. :roll:
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
Nikki

Post by Nikki »

It's part of the economic stimulus program:

Provide employment for a few hundred attorneys and CPAs who were laid off in the financial melt-down.
jcolvin2
Grand Master Consul of Quatloosia

Post by jcolvin2 »

Heard at the ABA Tax Section meeting in DC:

IRS Appeals is hiring 300 new employees. This may be the largest single hiring program in Appeals' history. IRS Chief Counsel is also planning to hire 400 over the next two years, with the bulk of the new hires being in the field instead of the National Office.
Nikki

Post by Nikki »

jcolvin2 wrote:Heard at the ABA Tax Section meeting in DC:

IRS Appeals is hiring 300 new employees. This may be the largest single hiring program in Appeals' history. IRS Chief Counsel is also planning to hire 400 over the next two years, with the bulk of the new hires being in the field instead of the National Office.
Except that IRS is hiring 10 times as many and neither one has adequate office space available.
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

CaptainKickback wrote:
Nikki wrote:
jcolvin2 wrote:Heard at the ABA Tax Section meeting in DC:

Except that IRS is hiring 10 times as many and neither one has adequate office space available.
Say Nikki, did you know that there are people who own office buildings who, now follow me if you can, lease out part or all of their office building to those willing to pay a monthly fee (called "rent")? Yep, I am pulling your leg.

Right now, in most if not all cities there is a glut of office space and the IRS can probably rent all the space they want on the cheap.
Based on what I've seen, Chief Counsel should have no problem finding qualified -- and near desperate -- candidates. With the economy as it is, the job market is apparently saturated with J.D.s (many with CPA or LL.M. or both).

For tales of woe, see:

http://www.taxtalent.com/forum/index.cf ... AT=general
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Nikki

Post by Nikki »

CaptainKickback wrote:
Nikki wrote:Except that IRS is hiring 10 times as many and neither one has adequate office space available.
Say Nikki, did you know that there are people who own office buildings who, now follow me if you can, lease out part or all of their office building to those willing to pay a monthly fee (called "rent")? Yep, I am pulling your leg.

Right now, in most if not all cities there is a glut of office space and the IRS can probably rent all the space they want on the cheap.
Which would be great if Congress had appropriated additional money, with the new employees, for things like office space, furniture, their computers, etc.

All the IRS (and Counsel and Appeals) got was bodies.
Nikki

Post by Nikki »

Any of which would be great, except that there's no money appropriated.
absdes96
Scalawag
Scalawag

Post by absdes96 »

Nikki wrote:It's part of the economic stimulus program:

Provide employment for a few hundred attorneys and CPAs who were laid off in the financial melt-down.

The new "No Attorney or CPA Life Behind Program".
The mongoose of a disciplined mind and will is more than a match for the cobra of desire and emotion. - Professor Dallas Willard, USC
Number Six
Hereditary Margrave of Mooloosia

Post by Number Six »

It's about time. I would like to see the level of enforcement and tax rates before the Reagan years with his mantra "government isn't the solution, government is the problem".

I just don't get it. With the most powerful software and computers that have ever existed, this is probably a time of lower tax compliance than the 1980's. I don't want a fascist government, but there must be a bureaucrat out there who could order a review of any given area of tax shortfall and a tax comliance strategy to address it.

So how is the tax system "broken" as the President asserted last week, with TS Geithner and Commissioner Douglas Shulman at his side? It would be interesting to know how much data-crunching is being outsourced to Bangalore...
'There are two kinds of injustice: the first is found in those who do an injury, the second in those who fail to protect another from injury when they can.' (Roman. Cicero, De Off. I. vii)

'Choose loss rather than shameful gains.' (Chilon Fr. 10. Diels)
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Post by Demosthenes »

With the most powerful software and computers that have ever existed
The IRS is kind of famous over the decades for having archaic computers...
Demo.
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

Demosthenes wrote:
With the most powerful software and computers that have ever existed
The IRS is kind of famous over the decades for having archaic computers...
I don't see what the problem is, vacuum tubes and punch cards are practically bleeding edge.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
Number Six
Hereditary Margrave of Mooloosia

Post by Number Six »

I remember Congressman Ron Paul in one of his newsletters many years ago alerting his readers that even his Republican collegues were pushing to increase the IRS budget to upgrade their computers, much to his chagrin. I guess he prefers the honor system.
'There are two kinds of injustice: the first is found in those who do an injury, the second in those who fail to protect another from injury when they can.' (Roman. Cicero, De Off. I. vii)

'Choose loss rather than shameful gains.' (Chilon Fr. 10. Diels)