Perhaps they picked the wrong target

Practical and Practice issues for Professionals who practice in the area of taxation. Moral, social and economic issues relating to taxes, including international issues, the U.S. Internal Revenue Code, state tax issues, etc. Not for "tax protestor" issues, which should be posted in the "tax protestor" forum above. The advice or opinion given herein should not be relied on for any purpose whatsoever. Also examines cookie-cutter deals that have no economic substance but exist only to generate losses, as marketed by everybody from solo practitioner tax lawyers to the major accounting firms.
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Perhaps they picked the wrong target

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

"...a dispute over payroll taxes that the lawmaker's office blames on faulty government paperwork."
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/200 ... -campaign/

A Senator's campaign believes there could be such a thing as "faulty government paperwork?" I'm shocked. Shocked I tell you - in more ways than one. 8)
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
Quixote
Quatloosian Master of Deception

Re: Perhaps they picked the wrong target

Post by Quixote »

Ms. Smith said the campaign received a letter from the IRS on Jan. 7, 2008, saying that authorities were missing W-2 forms from the campaign. She said the IRS letter noted the penalty was $819,000, the amount on the lien.
It appears that the lien is not for employment taxes, but rather for a penalty for failure to file W-2s. Generally, if the employer can supply the missing W-2s, the penalty will be abated. Of course, the employer may have to supply them several times before the IRS knows it got them. I believe the record is held by a Houston employer who took his W-2s into an IRS walk-in office four times, receiving a date stamped receipt each time. The penalty was finally abated by the Problem Resolution Office, the precurser of the Taxpayer Advocate Service.
"Here is a fundamental question to ask yourself- what is the goal of the income tax scam? I think it is a means to extract wealth from the masses and give it to a parasite class." Skankbeat