Analysis of Uniformity Clause Law

Practical and Practice issues for Professionals who practice in the area of taxation. Moral, social and economic issues relating to taxes, including international issues, the U.S. Internal Revenue Code, state tax issues, etc. Not for "tax protestor" issues, which should be posted in the "tax protestor" forum above. The advice or opinion given herein should not be relied on for any purpose whatsoever. Also examines cookie-cutter deals that have no economic substance but exist only to generate losses, as marketed by everybody from solo practitioner tax lawyers to the major accounting firms.
Cpt Banjo
Fretful leader of the Quat Quartet

Analysis of Uniformity Clause Law

Post by Cpt Banjo »

The Congressional Research Service has written an analysis of the constitutionality of linking tax benefits to geographical variations on the cost of living:

http://taxprof.typepad.com/files/crs-he ... ormity.pdf

I came across a law review article several years ago (which I can't seem to locate now) in which the author argued that variations in the application of tax law among the federal circuit courts of appeals violated the Uniformity Clause -- e.g., you can't have the 2d and 9th Circuits applying different rules to a particular issue. To avoid this problem, he suggested having a single intermediate appeals court handle all tax appeals. I don't necessarily believe that a court would buy this argument (try persuading the 9th that they have to follow the 2d's prior opinion), but it's an interesting point.
"Run get the pitcher, get the baby some beer." Rev. Gary Davis
SteveSy

Re: Analysis of Uniformity Clause Law

Post by SteveSy »

Ptasynski is one of the most egregious examples of the Supreme Court violating its duty to follow the constitution and prevent an over zealous government. That case along with Wickard v. Filburn have set a horrible standard. A standard that will be used to provide the government with unconstitutional powers beyond compare.

The constitution doesn't say uniformity only applies as long as congress isn't discriminating. It simply says all indirect taxes must be uniform, furthermore the founders never once mentioned such a provision. The courts have made the constitution almost meaningless at this point. I wouldn't doubt that giving CA, or any State drowning in red ink, a tax holiday wouldn't even violate the uniformity clause at this point considering the courts verbal acrobatics used in Ptasynski. Hopefully the country will swing hard the other way next election or the government will do enough to go over the line to where people decide its hopeless and it's time to start over.