IRC 1341 Claim of Right

Practical and Practice issues for Professionals who practice in the area of taxation. Moral, social and economic issues relating to taxes, including international issues, the U.S. Internal Revenue Code, state tax issues, etc. Not for "tax protestor" issues, which should be posted in the "tax protestor" forum above. The advice or opinion given herein should not be relied on for any purpose whatsoever. Also examines cookie-cutter deals that have no economic substance but exist only to generate losses, as marketed by everybody from solo practitioner tax lawyers to the major accounting firms.
Kimokeo

IRC 1341 Claim of Right

Post by Kimokeo »

I'm interested in your opinion regarding credit this credit.

Estimated taxes and Federal withholding are considered pre-paid credits. This sets the 3-year rule for these to be refunded.

But, what starts the clock on IRC 1341 credits?
Quixote
Quatloosian Master of Deception

Re: IRC 1341 Claim of Right

Post by Quixote »

Kimokeo wrote:I'm interested in your opinion regarding credit this credit.

Estimated taxes and Federal withholding are considered pre-paid credits. This sets the 3-year rule for these to be refunded.

But, what starts the clock on IRC 1341 credits?
IRC §1341(b)(1) does.
If the decrease in tax ascertained under subsection (a)(5)(B) exceeds the tax imposed by this chapter for the taxable year (computed without the deduction) such excess shall be considered to be a payment of tax on the last day prescribed by law for the payment of tax for the taxable year, and shall be refunded or credited in the same manner as if it were an overpayment for such taxable year.
"Here is a fundamental question to ask yourself- what is the goal of the income tax scam? I think it is a means to extract wealth from the masses and give it to a parasite class." Skankbeat
Kimokeo

Post by Kimokeo »

"If the decrease in tax ascertained under subsection (a)(5)(B) exceeds the tax imposed by this chapter for the taxable year (computed without the deduction) such excess shall be considered to be a payment of tax on the last day prescribed by law for the payment of tax for the taxable year, and shall be refunded or credited in the same manner as if it were an overpayment for such taxable year. "

If I'm looking at a 1870 tax year, with the return due April 15, 1871, calendar year filer.
The claim is made.

Last day prescribed by law for the payment of tax for the taxable year. What is the last day? Sorry, but my mind is foggy... Is it December 31st of the year or is it April 15th?
Also, if I chose file the return in 1872, making it a late return, what would be the date?
LaVidaRoja
Basileus Quatlooseus

Post by LaVidaRoja »

Date for payment is not same as date for filing. Remember, extension is of time to file, not time to pay. Date for payment is normally same as initial filing date requirement (i.e. April 15) However, remember that penalties for failure to make estimated payments (i.e. pay early) may apply
Little boys who tell lies grow up to be weathermen.