Chemerinsky's IRC 107 suit!

Practical and Practice issues for Professionals who practice in the area of taxation. Moral, social and economic issues relating to taxes, including international issues, the U.S. Internal Revenue Code, state tax issues, etc. Not for "tax protestor" issues, which should be posted in the "tax protestor" forum above. The advice or opinion given herein should not be relied on for any purpose whatsoever. Also examines cookie-cutter deals that have no economic substance but exist only to generate losses, as marketed by everybody from solo practitioner tax lawyers to the major accounting firms.
Paths of the Sea
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Chemerinsky's IRC 107 suit!

Post by Paths of the Sea »

While Chemerinsky appears to have been distracted and has failed to fulfill his previous Rick-Warren-case-related pledge to file that IRC 107 (ministerial housing exclusion) suit based on it being in violation of The Establishment Clause, others have indicated that they are close to being able to file such a suit.

Any folks here wish to offer any insight into the prospects of such a suit and why such a judicial test appears to have not already been made?

Sincerely,
Maury enthusiast!
Quixote
Quatloosian Master of Deception

Re: Chemerinsky's IRC 107 suit!

Post by Quixote »

How would the plaintiff in such a suit have standing to sue? Any injury to those of us not able to exclude our housing costs is collective rather than individual.
"Here is a fundamental question to ask yourself- what is the goal of the income tax scam? I think it is a means to extract wealth from the masses and give it to a parasite class." Skankbeat
Paths of the Sea

The short answer is:

> "taxpayer standing".

There are a number of cases addressing this issue, one within the last few months, and support the "standing" of a "taxpayer" to challenge IRC 107 on Establishment Clause grounds.

Something about Article 1, Section 8 of the Constitution, I think.

However, a challenge to standing has been anticipated and it might be expected that the Court will have to make a ruling on it before the IRC 107 issue can be decided on its merits.

Sincerely,
Maury Enthusiast!
Paths of the Sea

It might even be noteworthy that a case reported within the last couple of days has taken note that the old Flast case allows a broad swath of plaintiffs to obtain "standing" when challenging tax matters on the basis of the Establishment Clause.

Here's a link to that case:

http://www.ca2.uscourts.gov/decisions/i ... cv_opn.pdf

I think the "Flast" footnote is on page 21.

Sincerely,
Maury Enthusiast!
Paths of the Sea

OK, I found my reference to another more directly related recent case.

Try this:

Winn v. Arizona Christian School Tuition Organization,
2009 U.S. App. LEXIS 8242 (9th Cir. 2009).

It has been argued that "Winn" holds that taxpayers have standing to challenge tax benefits in the same way taxpayers have standing to challenge direct expenditures from the treasury for religion.

Sincerely,
Maury enthusiast!
Kimokeo

Post by Kimokeo »

Didn't he Sklar case of California touch on the establishment clause?
Paths of the Sea

In a case reported out yesterday, from the 6th Circuit, there is a pretty good discussion of "taxpayer standing".

In my reading of the discussion, I conclude that it further supports the proposition that a taxpayer (e.g., Chemerinsky) would have standing to challenge IRC 107, which comes under Article 1, Section 8 of the Constitution, on Establishment Clause grounds.

Here's a link to the case:

6th-circuit-opinion.pdf

http://www.au.org/media/press-releases/ ... pinion.pdf

Sincerely,
Maury Enthusiast!
Paths of the Sea

I got another message a couple of days ago indicating that the filing of the IRC 107 suit is drawing closer to becoming a reality.

I hope not to suffer another Chemerinsky-style disappointment.

Let the suit be filed!
Let the public debate begin!

Sincerely,
Maury Enthusiast!
Paths of the Sea

I saw today where SCOTUS denied cert on the Sklar case. I guess that means the Sklars lost.

I also got wind of a rumor that the official, public announcement and filing of the IRC 107 suit may be as early as next week.

That would be quite nice.

Sincerely,
Maury enthusiast!
Noah
Exalted Parter of the Great Sea of Insanity

Post by Noah »

Paths of the Sea wrote:I saw today where SCOTUS denied cert on the Sklar case. I guess that means the Sklars lost.
Sklar lacked a Cruise Missle....Tom Cruise that is. :wink: