Former strip club owner gets 20 months for ATM tax evasion

Practical and Practice issues for Professionals who practice in the area of taxation. Moral, social and economic issues relating to taxes, including international issues, the U.S. Internal Revenue Code, state tax issues, etc. Not for "tax protestor" issues, which should be posted in the "tax protestor" forum above. The advice or opinion given herein should not be relied on for any purpose whatsoever. Also examines cookie-cutter deals that have no economic substance but exist only to generate losses, as marketed by everybody from solo practitioner tax lawyers to the major accounting firms.
Evil Squirrel Overlord
Emperor of rodents, foreign and domestic

Former strip club owner gets 20 months for ATM tax evasion

Post by Evil Squirrel Overlord »

http://www.startribune.com/local/53814067.html
Former strip club owner gets 20 months for ATM tax evasion scheme

A federal judge in St. Paul today sentenced former strip club owner Larry Kladek to 20 months in prison for tax evasion and ordered him to pay $40,000 in fines immediately and make restitution to the IRS.

Kladek owned the King of Diamonds strip club in Inver Grove Heights when he was indicted last year charged with evading income taxes through a scheme that funneled cash into a secret account every time a customer made a withdrawal from an ATM at the club. IRS investigators say Kladek amassed about $2 million that he used the money to buy investments and help build his expensive home.
Are you saying that Ron Paul serves as a convenient chew toy to keep stupid puppies occupied so they don't roll in the garbage? -grixit
Mr. Mephistopheles
Faustus Quatlus

Re: Former strip club owner gets 20 months for ATM tax evasion

Post by Mr. Mephistopheles »

I'm too late for the T&A banter but I can tell you, (not from experience of course), that ATM's at tee-tee bars charge rather usurious fees. I know this because there was this guy, (not me of course it was uhhh one of my friends), ran out of cash at one and a really friendly gal (who happened to be dressed like a cheerleader) told him he would be wise to go get some more cash from his car rather than pay the $25+ ATM fee.
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

Kladek owned the King of Diamonds strip club in Inver Grove Heights when he was indicted last year charged with evading income taxes through a scheme that funneled cash into a secret account every time a customer made a withdrawal from an ATM at the club. IRS investigators say Kladek amassed about $2 million that he used the money to buy investments and help build his expensive home.
I'm wondering how that worked. Did the machine charge a bogus ATM fee which went to his secret stash, did it overcharge the customer's account, or did the customer receive less cash than intended (which I guess would only be easy to do if the ATM stocked singles)?
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
bmielke

Post by bmielke »

If someone has used your ATM card without permission report them to the bank and more importantly the police. You need to report them as soon as possible, Bank of America only gives you 15 or 20 days to report fraud your bank might be more or less.
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

webhick wrote:
I'm wondering how that worked. Did the machine charge a bogus ATM fee which went to his secret stash, did it overcharge the customer's account, or did the customer receive less cash than intended (which I guess would only be easy to do if the ATM stocked singles)?
This is one reason why I stay as far away as possible from ATMs in places like this -- or even in places like convenience stores.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools