Stunning story about Antrel Rolle

Practical and Practice issues for Professionals who practice in the area of taxation. Moral, social and economic issues relating to taxes, including international issues, the U.S. Internal Revenue Code, state tax issues, etc. Not for "tax protestor" issues, which should be posted in the "tax protestor" forum above. The advice or opinion given herein should not be relied on for any purpose whatsoever. Also examines cookie-cutter deals that have no economic substance but exist only to generate losses, as marketed by everybody from solo practitioner tax lawyers to the major accounting firms.
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Stunning story about Antrel Rolle

Post by Demosthenes »

http://www.forbes.com/2010/01/26/irs-ch ... audit.html

If I were the IRS, I'd be opening a criminal investigation.
Demo.
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Re: Stunning story about Antrel Rolle

Post by Demosthenes »

Hiram M. Martin, the lawyer for Rolle in the tax case, declined comment Tuesday on specifics. Calling the matter "confidential," he said it was "totally inappropriate" for Forbes to have obtained his pleading. "I am outraged," he said. By law, Tax Court lawsuits are public record at the clerk's office in Washington, D.C.
He's been practicing law since 1978 and he doesn't know that court filings are public record unless sealed?
Demo.
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

Demosthenes wrote:
Hiram M. Martin, the lawyer for Rolle in the tax case, declined comment Tuesday on specifics. Calling the matter "confidential," he said it was "totally inappropriate" for Forbes to have obtained his pleading. "I am outraged," he said. By law, Tax Court lawsuits are public record at the clerk's office in Washington, D.C.
He's been practicing law since 1978 and he doesn't know that court filings are public record unless sealed?
You know that. I know that. Most Quatloosers know that. But, the vast majority of the general public doesn't know that, and thus the lawyer's bloviation. Why let the facts get in the way of a good rant to arouse the yahoos?
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
Nikki

Post by Nikki »

Demosthenes wrote:He's been practicing law since 1978 and he doesn't know that court filings are public record unless sealed?
According to the docket available on the Tax Court's web site, he also didn't know a filing fee was required.
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

A lawyer was involved in this? Rolle isn't the only one who should be looking over his shoulder.
Sterling said he used to be the church's president and was still a member, and that the church faithful valued their privacy
I'm sure they do.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume