Backup withholding and privacy

Practical and Practice issues for Professionals who practice in the area of taxation. Moral, social and economic issues relating to taxes, including international issues, the U.S. Internal Revenue Code, state tax issues, etc. Not for "tax protestor" issues, which should be posted in the "tax protestor" forum above. The advice or opinion given herein should not be relied on for any purpose whatsoever. Also examines cookie-cutter deals that have no economic substance but exist only to generate losses, as marketed by everybody from solo practitioner tax lawyers to the major accounting firms.
Arthur Rubin
Tupa-O-Quatloosia

Backup withholding and privacy

Post by Arthur Rubin »

A few years back, I noticed that 2 ER doctors at <unnamed hospital> were subject to backup withholding, at least according to EOBs from my insurance company. Ignoring the "coincidence", this brings up two tax-related questions more suited to this board:

Does the EOB constitute a release of tax information about a third party, contrary to law?

Now that I'm aware that they are subject to backup withholding, should I have withheld from my share of the copayment, as well. (Actually, there wasn't any, as the ER copayment is a fixed dollar amount to the facility, with insurance picking up the rest. Still, in principle....)
Arthur Rubin, unemployed tax preparer and aerospace engineer
ImageJoin the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign!

Butterflies are free. T-shirts are $19.95 $24.95 $29.95
Cathulhu
Order of the Quatloos, Brevet First Class

Re: Backup withholding and privacy

Post by Cathulhu »

There are actually two different backup withholding (BWH) programs in place; one is caused by nonreporting, (filing without all your income, or not filing) and one by lying about your identity (oops, I just happened to use a fake SSN, or fake name!) I recall there was some legal dovetailing; the BWH statutes allow IRS to advise payers much like employers. It's IRC 3406(a), but the sun finally came out (it was 54 degrees at noon today, cloudy) and the beach is calling too loudly for me to do anything like work.

I love being retired!
Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to. T. Pratchett
Always be a moving target. L.M. Bujold