What's a non-binding contract?

Practical and Practice issues for Professionals who practice in the area of taxation. Moral, social and economic issues relating to taxes, including international issues, the U.S. Internal Revenue Code, state tax issues, etc. Not for "tax protestor" issues, which should be posted in the "tax protestor" forum above. The advice or opinion given herein should not be relied on for any purpose whatsoever. Also examines cookie-cutter deals that have no economic substance but exist only to generate losses, as marketed by everybody from solo practitioner tax lawyers to the major accounting firms.
Quixote
Quatloosian Master of Deception

What's a non-binding contract?

Post by Quixote »

IRC §36(h) reads (or at least used to read; the July 1 deadline was changed to Oct. 1)
Application of section
(1) In general
This section shall only apply to a principal residence purchased by the taxpayer on or after April 9, 2008, and before May 1, 2010.
(2) Exception in case of binding contract
In the case of any taxpayer who enters into a written binding contract before May 1, 2010, to close on the purchase of a principal residence before July 1, 2010, paragraph (1) shall be applied by substituting “July 1, 2010” for “May 1, 2010”.
What's the difference between a contract and a binding contract? The seller had his fingers crossed when he signed? Some provisions had "jk" tacked on the end?
"Here is a fundamental question to ask yourself- what is the goal of the income tax scam? I think it is a means to extract wealth from the masses and give it to a parasite class." Skankbeat
bmielke

Re: What's a non-binding contract?

Post by bmielke »

Quixote wrote:IRC §36(h) reads (or at least used to read; the July 1 deadline was changed to Oct. 1)
Application of section
(1) In general
This section shall only apply to a principal residence purchased by the taxpayer on or after April 9, 2008, and before May 1, 2010.
In the case of any taxpayer who enters into a written binding contract before May 1, 2010, to close on the purchase of a principal residence before July 1, 2010, paragraph (1) shall be applied by substituting “July 1, 2010” for “May 1, 2010”.
What's the difference between a contract and a binding contract? The seller had his fingers crossed when he signed? Some provisions had "jk" tacked on the end?
I thought offers on real estate were usually non-binding. "We'll pay you this much, but only if a whole bunch of conditions are met, one of which is we don't change our mind" that sort of thing.
Arthur Rubin
Tupa-O-Quatloosia

Post by Arthur Rubin »

Quixote wrote:IRC §36(h) reads (or at least used to read; the July 1 deadline was changed to Oct. 1)
Application of section
(1) In general
For practical purposes, it is believed that being "in escrow" makes it a binding contract. Most real estate contracts have conditional clauses, but "changing your mind" is not one of them. Failure to qualify for a loan usually is one of them, and failing to turn in the documentation to qualify for the loan is one way to avoid qualifying for the loan....
Arthur Rubin, unemployed tax preparer and aerospace engineer
ImageJoin the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign!

Butterflies are free. T-shirts are $19.95 $24.95 $29.95
Nikki

Post by Nikki »

Many real estate sales contracts are sort-of-non-binding.

For example, when I bought my previous home, I contracted to buy the house at a certain price and deposited a significant amount of non-refundable cash to cover the event that I changed my mind and walked away EXCEPT the contract was void if:

I couldn't obtain a mortgage at certain specified terms

The buyer-funded engineering inspection found any undisclosed flaws in the structure or systems of the house which the seller would not repair at his cost prior to closing,

There was any cloud on the title.

I or my spouse died prior to closing

and so on
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

IMHO, one that relies on the term "reasonable." :roll:
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
Brandybuck

Post by Brandybuck »

IANAL, but it seems to me that a contract with conditions is binding. If you meet the conditions you are still bound to the contract.