Increases in tax prosecutions & convictions

Practical and Practice issues for Professionals who practice in the area of taxation. Moral, social and economic issues relating to taxes, including international issues, the U.S. Internal Revenue Code, state tax issues, etc. Not for "tax protestor" issues, which should be posted in the "tax protestor" forum above. The advice or opinion given herein should not be relied on for any purpose whatsoever. Also examines cookie-cutter deals that have no economic substance but exist only to generate losses, as marketed by everybody from solo practitioner tax lawyers to the major accounting firms.
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Increases in tax prosecutions & convictions

Post by Famspear »

Tax professor Paul Caron highlights report on big increases in tax prosecutions and convictions:

http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog ... ions-.html

And see:

http://trac.syr.edu/tracreports/bulleti ... nov10/gui/
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Re: Increases in tax prosecutions & convictions

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

Without searching at this hour, my essentially cynical self tells me that if one were to place that trend line against something else there would be a different story.

The other nagging thought is why should it be increasing? Doesn't effective enforcement translate to fewer offenders?

And given the variances in tax law over the last seven years, is the trend even meaningful?
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
$OVER1

Re: Increases in tax prosecutions & convictions

Post by $OVER1 »

CaptainKickback wrote:There are two things missing that would provide real meaning to the numbers - what is the total number of returns filed and the prosecutions represent what percentage of the filings.

Prosecutions may be up because the number of returns filed is up. Victories may be up, because there is very little new under the sun, so what is being seen is what has been seen before, which would seem to make it easier on the prosecution side.

Your mileage may vary.
Exactly.

For over 300 million residents the numbers are quite small.