Network problems

A discussion of the better things in life, including music, the arts, wine, beer, cigars, scotch, gambling the Quatloosian way, travel, sports, and many other topics. [Political and religious discussions and the like should stay off-site.]
Arthur Rubin
Tupa-O-Quatloosia

Network problems

Post by Arthur Rubin »

OK, I had a new security system installed and my wireless network has slowed to a crawl. Not only that, but I bought a 50 foot data cable to connect this computer to the (wireless) router, and that worked for a little while, but not after rebooting.

Any ideas?
Arthur Rubin, unemployed tax preparer and aerospace engineer
ImageJoin the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign!

Butterflies are free. T-shirts are $19.95 $24.95 $29.95
Jeffrey
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Re: Network problems

Post by Jeffrey »

Security system wireless?
bmxninja357

Post by bmxninja357 »

did you install or upgrade or add anything else?

peace,
ninj
whoever said laughter is the best medicine never had gonorrhea....
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

Have you tried power cycling the router?

Also, make sure that your router is distributing enough IP addresses to your network. Most only go up to 50 by default, but you can allow it the whole 254 if needed.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
Arthur Rubin
Tupa-O-Quatloosia

Post by Arthur Rubin »

webhick wrote:Also, make sure that your router is distributing enough IP addresses to your network. Most only go up to 50 by default, but you can allow it the whole 254 if needed.
Actually, that occurred to me, but I changed the router's master password and apparently don't recall what I changed it to. It's a 802.11g router, anyway, and I should upgrade to 802.11n, at least.

I found why the data cable wasn't working, though. It wasn't plugged in at the other end. I was experimenting with the 3 data cables from the solar power system....

Arthur Rubin
Tupa-O-Quatloosia

Post by Arthur Rubin »

Jeffrey wrote:Security system wireless?
Of course, the security system is wireless. You wouldn't want to run wires from the sensors to the master station.

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

Does the security system use the wifi to transmit data or is it at the same frequency?
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

Simple test, disconnect the security system from your router, and re-boot it and your computer, see how they are working after the re-boot, my guess is they will be back to normal, connect the security system back in, see what happens, my guess is it will get overwhelmed again. Some secondary systems tend to be bandwidth and channel hogs, basically don't play nice with others.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Arthur Rubin
Tupa-O-Quatloosia

Post by Arthur Rubin »

notorial dissent wrote:Simple test, disconnect the security system...
Sorry I didn't make it clear; it's a home security system, which has cellular reporting (it is AT&T, after all), but uses the wireless router as a backup. The problem is probably not actual bandwidth use, but interference (its wireless communication signal is much stronger than my router's), although I still don't know what the Apple device showing up on the network might be (using "WiFi Inspector"); perhaps my housemate has an iPhone (she does have the passcode to the wireless router, as, when she moved in, she had a computer and got a 802.11g dongle (I think it was attached to a serial port, rather than USB)).

notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

OK, my misunderstanding. Most of the ones I've encountered recently parasite off of the owner's system rather than having their own. It may also be looking for an alternate path as well and trying to tie into your home router. The system company is probably going to have to tinker with the connection frequencies or protocols, since it has its own wifi router. Or it may just be an issue with that particular system and will remain a problem.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

Figure out what frequency the security system operates at. If it's 5 ghz, you're going to want to switch your routers N mode off and leave it G only. If it's 2.4 do the opposite.
Number Six
Hereditary Margrave of Mooloosia

Post by Number Six »

Depending on your needs you could always go to a library with quality wifi and regular terminals. At least you didn't have hack attacks like this lady: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/04/opini ... ticle&_r=0
'There are two kinds of injustice: the first is found in those who do an injury, the second in those who fail to protect another from injury when they can.' (Roman. Cicero, De Off. I. vii)

'Choose loss rather than shameful gains.' (Chilon Fr. 10. Diels)