The Boots Have Come Off

A discussion of the better things in life, including music, the arts, wine, beer, cigars, scotch, gambling the Quatloosian way, travel, sports, and many other topics. [Political and religious discussions and the like should stay off-site.]
JamesVincent
A Councilor of the Kabosh

The Boots Have Come Off

Post by JamesVincent »

A good friend of mine is writing a blog about his transition from being a Marine to being a cake eater. His aim is to help civilians understand some of the things that vets go through after leaving the military, especially combat vets like him. In his case he was in his second tour in Afghanny when his time was up. IIRC he literally went from a combat zone to back home as a civilian in under a week. He has a unique perspective in that his father was a Marine and I've known him since he was a teenager and had always talked about the military with him. He went through some pretty rough times while in the Corps, many a time talking to him at 4am or some really odd time while he was in Okie or Afghanny. He was the youngest Marine to hold the title of Chief Armorer for the 22nd MEU and attained it as a Lance Corporal. I know of at least one time where he was awarded Marine of the Month and left the Corps as a Sergeant.
Tyler wrote:Welcome to my blog. I am going to be writing about thoughts and feelings of mine that other veterans may be dealing with. And for the civilians out there, I would hope that you read these posts and understand a little bit better.
https://thebootshavecomeoff.wordpress.com/

He is currently back home and taking classes at a community college until Fall when he transfers to a 4 year.

Any comments or suggestions I will be glad to pass along to him.
Disciple of the cross and champion in suffering
Immerse yourself into the kingdom of redemption
Pardon your mind through the chains of the divine
Make way, the shepherd of fire

Avenged Sevenfold "Shepherd of Fire"
Doktor Avalanche
Asst Secretary, the Dept of Jesters

Re: The Boots Have Come Off

Post by Doktor Avalanche »

This is a terrific idea and will help him adjust to civilian life - or hate it so much he decides he wants to re-up in the Marines. :lol:
The laissez-faire argument relies on the same tacit appeal to perfection as does communism. - George Soros
JamesVincent

Post by JamesVincent »

Doktor Avalanche wrote:This is a terrific idea and will help him adjust to civilian life - or hate it so much he decides he wants to re-up in the Marines. :lol:
We talked the other day about the possibility of him going in the Reserves or cross training and going in the Guard. He's not sure yet, not really for it but not really against it.

JamesVincent

Post by JamesVincent »

He has some more blog posts up if you guys are interested.

Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

My experience over many years is that the various branches of the Reserves offer a way to maintain a direct connection to people who share common experiences and ideals, not to mention maintaining proficiency in specialty areas like aviation.

The risk, of course, is that activation can make huge changes in lifestyle and have a serious impact on families.
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three