Percy Sledge (1940 - 2015)

A discussion of the better things in life, including music, the arts, wine, beer, cigars, scotch, gambling the Quatloosian way, travel, sports, and many other topics. [Political and religious discussions and the like should stay off-site.]
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Percy Sledge (1940 - 2015)

Post by Famspear »

One of the great soul singers, Percy Sledge, has passed on.

He had five top forty hits from April 1966 to the spring of 1968: When A Man Loves A Woman (which was number one for two weeks on the Billboard chart); Warm And Tender Love; It Tears Me Up; Love Me Tender; Take Time To Know Her.

"When A Man Loves A Woman" was used in the movie sound tracks for The Big Chill and Platoon and Michael Bolton won a Grammy with a cover of that song.

Sledge did have a federal tax conviction in the 1990s.

I never met him, but I talked with him by phone for a radio interview in the 1970s.

Percy Tyrone Sledge: Born Nov. 24, 1940, at Leighton, Alabama. Died April 14, 2015, at Baton Rouge, Louisiana.

From the New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/15/arts/ ... .html?_r=0

EDITED: Once for typo.
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Famspear

Re: Percy Sledge (1940 - 2015)

Post by Famspear »

Some sources report his year of birth as 1940, others as 1941. Not sure which is correct.
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Arthur Rubin
Tupa-O-Quatloosia

Post by Arthur Rubin »

Famspear wrote:Some sources report his year of birth as 1940, others as 1941. Not sure which is correct.
Wikipedia reports 1940, and doesn't mention a contrary opinion.
Arthur Rubin, unemployed tax preparer and aerospace engineer
ImageJoin the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign!

Butterflies are free. T-shirts are $19.95 $24.95 $29.95
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

I had raised the issue on the talk page for the Wikipedia article, not noticing that it had already been addressed in that talk page a while back.

The Billboard Book of Top 40 Hits (5th ed. 1992) by Joel Whitburn showed his birth year as 1941, as did one or two of the news reports on his passing.
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

Some years ago, I bought three paperback books of "misheard lyrics". One of them took its title from a misunderstanding of the first line of Sledge's signature song:

"When A Man Loves A Walnut".
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

Pottapaug1938 wrote:Some years ago, I bought three paperback books of "misheard lyrics". One of them took its title from a misunderstanding of the first line of Sledge's signature song:

"When A Man Loves A Walnut".
:)

Misheard -- or even unintelligible -- lyrics are a staple of popular music, it seems.

Even after years of playing records over and over on the radio, I occasionally will hear a song I played gazillions of times as a top 40 radio disc jockey, and I finally figure out what they're saying.

Some of the worst are the Stones' old hits. Everybody loves Mick Jagger, but sometimes it's um..... hard to figure out what he was singing......

:)
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

Betcha didn't know that Jimi Hendrix was gay: "'Scuse me while I kiss this guy".
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Famspear wrote:Misheard -- or even unintelligible -- lyrics are a staple of popular music, it seems
There is even a term for this phenomena: "mondegreen." As the Wikipedia entry describes it:
American writer Sylvia Wright coined the term in her essay "The Death of Lady Mondegreen", published in Harper's Magazine in November 1954. The term was inspired by "...and Lady Mondegreen," a misinterpretation of the line "...and laid him on the green," from the Scottish ballad "The Bonnie Earl o Moray."[3]
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

wserra wrote:Betcha didn't know that Jimi Hendrix was gay: "'Scuse me while I kiss this guy".
Yep.... Purple Haze......

:lol:

There is an old Saturday Night Live skit with "Wayne and Garth" where they cover the "top ten misheard lyrics," and that was one of them.

Another from that skit as I recall was from Creedence Clearwater Revival, where the line "there's a bad moon on the rise" was warped into "there's the bathroom on the right...."

:lol:
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

Ah here it is. Actually, it was the "top 5" not the top 10:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akZxhhcwkR8
JamesVincent
A Councilor of the Kabosh

Post by JamesVincent »

Which explains why "Who are you?" by The Who has never been censored on the air.

edit: There is actually a ton of misheard lyric videos on Youtube. Some of the ones for System Of A Down are particularly entertaining.
Disciple of the cross and champion in suffering
Immerse yourself into the kingdom of redemption
Pardon your mind through the chains of the divine
Make way, the shepherd of fire

Avenged Sevenfold "Shepherd of Fire"