I Love NYC

A discussion of the better things in life, including music, the arts, wine, beer, cigars, scotch, gambling the Quatloosian way, travel, sports, and many other topics. [Political and religious discussions and the like should stay off-site.]
NYGman
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

I Love NYC

Post by NYGman »

Just had a nice dinner out in NYC with the wife and some friends, and on the way out, ran in to Adele. Another reason why I love NY.

edit: To fix typo
Last edited by NYGman on Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Hardest Thing in the World to Understand is Income Taxes -Albert Einstein

Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose - As sung by Janis Joplin (and others) Written by Kris Kristofferson and Fred Foster.
Burnaby49
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians

Re: I Love NYC

Post by Burnaby49 »

NYGman wrote:Just had a nice dinner out in NYC with the wife and some friends, and on the way out, ran in to Adel. Another reason why I love NY.
Would that be Adele?
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
NYGman

Post by NYGman »

Burnaby49 wrote:
NYGman wrote:Just had a nice dinner out in NYC with the wife and some friends, and on the way out, ran in to Adel. Another reason why I love NY.
Would that be Adele?
yes, that would, darn extra e
The Hardest Thing in the World to Understand is Income Taxes -Albert Einstein

Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose - As sung by Janis Joplin (and others) Written by Kris Kristofferson and Fred Foster.
Bill Lumbergh
Pirate Captain
Pirate Captain

Post by Bill Lumbergh »

The last time I went to NYC it was 1993.

Thank you for listening.
Bill Lumbergh
Pirate Captain
Pirate Captain

Post by Bill Lumbergh »

Double post.
Last edited by Bill Lumbergh on Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

I was there for the first time this spring. It was great.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

Bill Lumbergh
Pirate Captain
Pirate Captain

Post by Bill Lumbergh »

Now if only I could learn the difference between the edit and the quote button.

Anyways, I'm due for a trip there soon. I've already noted Burnaby's pub recommendations (while not a CAMRA member I too thirst for real ale). Any other top secret illuminati tips I should know about?
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

Wserra and Observer both highly recommended the Cloisters and it was great, I went twice. Way off at the extreme end of Manhattan but the A Train takes you almost to the doorstep. A ten minute walk through a beautiful park and you are there.

Speaking of trains get the one week subway pass even if you are not going for a week. Great deal and much more convenient that getting tickets. You can get it at JFK and use it to take the subway into town. Actually faster than the Air Porter. Wife and I stayed right by the Brooklyn Bridge down at the southern end of Manhattan but with the subway it didn't matter.

If you want real ale you won't get it in NYC, at least at any place I went. I targeted the historic pubs rather than the beer.

wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

Burnaby49 wrote:If you want real ale you won't get it in NYC, at least at any place I went. I targeted the historic pubs rather than the beer.
Ahem. You just didn't know where to look. An old list, but most of the beer engines still pumping it out. You shoulda asked.

And yes, the Cloisters is a unique place.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

wserra wrote:
Burnaby49 wrote:If you want real ale you won't get it in NYC, at least at any place I went. I targeted the historic pubs rather than the beer.
Ahem. You just didn't know where to look. An old list, but most of the beer engines still pumping it out. You shoulda asked.

And yes, the Cloisters is a unique place.
I batted 1,000. I didn't go to a single one of the establishments on that list. I'll just have to make up for it in my five week trip to Britain this summer.

I also really enjoyed Katz's Deli. Went three times. Great tongue sandwiches. They seem expensive but wife and I shared one for lunch and it was enough. Don't go Friday afternoons, just a madhouse.