Nominate your island!

A discussion of the better things in life, including music, the arts, wine, beer, cigars, scotch, gambling the Quatloosian way, travel, sports, and many other topics. [Political and religious discussions and the like should stay off-site.]
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Nominate your island!

Post by Gregg »

I never planned it that way, but for the last five years all my recreational trips have been to islands. Manhattan, Long Island, Sanibel, Key West.....I've always had to take a boat or a bridge and I'm inclined to stick with it.

All I need is a beach, decent hotel and abar where I can get a strawberry Mohito.

Suggestions?
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Re: Nominate your island!

Post by The Observer »

The last island I visited was Iceland. If you love volcanoes, geysers, hot springs, waterfalls, glaciers, the northern lights and lots of bars/pubs, then this may be the place for you. And WOW Airlines is going to have a $99 fare from several locations in the US, and the ability to put you on a connecting flight to Europe after your stay in Iceland is over (for an additional price).
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Hyrion
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by Hyrion »

Tahiti

If nothing else, looking through google images on Tahiti puts it as a visually wonderful place to be.
NYGman

Post by NYGman »

Marco Island Florida is my suggestion
Https://en.Wikipedia.org/Marco_Island,_Florida

All your needs will be met
The Hardest Thing in the World to Understand is Income Taxes -Albert Einstein

Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose - As sung by Janis Joplin (and others) Written by Kris Kristofferson and Fred Foster.
bmxninja357

Post by bmxninja357 »

saltspring island if you want the full speed hippie experience. it does not get more laid back. it also has its own currency.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saltspring_Island
http://www.saltspringdollars.com/
its interesting if nothing else.

peace,
ninj
whoever said laughter is the best medicine never had gonorrhea....
NYGman

Post by NYGman »

Actally I have changed my mind... Let me introduce yo to Captiva Island https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captiva_Island

I went to the http://www.southseas.com/ SOuth Seas Resort, and it is heaven. Any type of accommodation from hotel om and suites up to townhomes on the ocean. White sand, warm water, great food, it is a real island paradise, They have boats, tennis, village stores, restaurants, all in the compound, and the beach, did I mention the amazing beach.

Really Gregg, check ut the South Seas, You will not be disappointed.
The Hardest Thing in the World to Understand is Income Taxes -Albert Einstein

Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose - As sung by Janis Joplin (and others) Written by Kris Kristofferson and Fred Foster.
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

My family and I were at the Majestic Elegance Resort (all-inclusive) in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic. We were part of the "Elegance Club", and the extra expense was worth it. We hope to go back someday.

The literature says "tips are included in the price of your stay"; but we found out that the people who do things for you don't always get the tips. A stack of $1 and $5 bills goes a long way in getting you superb service; and if someone brought us a drink, we always slipped them a buck (you don't need pesos anywhere in the resort, or even in the country). We gave our maid $2 each day; and they said that it was a big help in feeding their families.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
bmxninja357

Post by bmxninja357 »

if your vacation is more of a hookers and blow thing you could enjoy the island of Montreal. it even comes with snooty french speakers who will pretend not to speak english and the occasional mob and/or biker war. and theres plenty of illuminati symbolism in the architecture to keep you feeling better than everyone else.

ninj
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

NYGman wrote:Actally I have changed my mind... Let me introduce yo to Captiva Island https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captiva_Island

I went to the http://www.southseas.com/ SOuth Seas Resort, and it is heaven. Any type of accommodation from hotel om and suites up to townhomes on the ocean. White sand, warm water, great food, it is a real island paradise, They have boats, tennis, village stores, restaurants, all in the compound, and the beach, did I mention the amazing beach.

Really Gregg, check ut the South Seas, You will not be disappointed.
Both Marco Island and Captiva are Metro Fort Meyers, which is more or less where we went last summer, Sanibel. In fact, the only overland way to get to Captiva is from Sanibel and indeed one day we did drive all the way to the "end of the road" at the very tip of Captiva.

I''m sorely tempted to return to Sanibel, I have some terrible allergy problems that only get aggravated by Florida and after I have sinus surgery (in a few weeks) I am assured that between my newly cleared head tunnels and the effects of my longer smoking I'll be able to enjoy it a lot more this year.
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
Burnaby49
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians

Post by Burnaby49 »

I am assured that between my newly cleared head tunnels and the effects of my longer smoking I'll be able to enjoy it a lot more this year.
The effects of your longer smoking? You mean like this?

"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

bmxninja357 wrote:if your vacation is more of a hookers and blow thing you could enjoy the island of Montreal. it even comes with snooty french speakers who will pretend not to speak english and the occasional mob and/or biker war. and theres plenty of illuminati symbolism in the architecture to keep you feeling better than everyone else.

ninj
As long as the Francofascists think that you're an American, you'll be fine. They will often look down on you and regard you as a benighted American; but their venom is reserved for les maudits Anglais a/k/a Anglophone Canadians, who won't leave La Belle Province -- excuse me, La Belle Pays -- and take their filthy language with them. The Canadian dollar has sunk really badly of late, so you can get a cheap vacation up there. Of course, it tends to get chilly up there around now; but the place is great to visit in warmer weather.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
Duke2Earl
Eighth Operator of the Delusional Mooloo

Post by Duke2Earl »

My wife and I go to Grand Cayman just about every December. We enjoy it very much. We are very simple to entertain, all we need is great weather, a nice beach and lots of drinks (preferably served to us on the beach) and good restaurants. K-Mon as the natives say, has all that and more. I have been considering buying a condo there for several years and with the situation here ...well...it's looking more likely.
My choice early in life was to either be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politican. And to tell the truth there's hardly any difference.

Harry S Truman
eric
Trivial Observer of Great War

Post by eric »

Pottapaug1938 wrote: As long as the Francofascists think that you're an American, you'll be fine. They will often look down on you and regard you as a benighted American; but their venom is reserved for les maudits Anglais a/k/a Anglophone Canadians, who won't leave La Belle Province -- excuse me, La Belle Pays -- and take their filthy language with them. The Canadian dollar has sunk really badly of late, so you can get a cheap vacation up there. Of course, it tends to get chilly up there around now; but the place is great to visit in warmer weather.
Of course Montreal is an island, and the topic is island vacations, but for a Quebec winter vacation I would reccomend Quebec city. For those of you wish the "bikers and blow" experience as Ninja mentioned, again you have to get off the island and go a little east. You could even visit with Menard in Saint-Jean. Memories of taking refuge under a relatively bullet proof slate top pool table in a bar near Granby while a group of my trainees from a SE Asian country that I won't mention, took on the bikers with weapons fabricated from steel pallet strapping tape. Creative little buggers... :roll:
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

You could even visit with Menard in Saint-Jean.
I think you are behind the times in that one. The owner was a friend who was trying to sell the place and I'm assuming that Rob was allowed to use it while it was vacant awaiting sale. The house was recently sold so I'm guessing that Rob is on the move again.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

Montreal is on an island? Well, I didn't know that, and I've even been there before (granted it was 1972). I think you have terribly misunderstood my idea of a good time, HOOKERS and blow = good, bikers and blow = not a good combination, even in Canada where they only have a few guns each.

I'll have a winner announced soon, I've got to get out of the Well Armed Homeless Shelter first and back to a proper easily defended position...
bmxninja357

Post by bmxninja357 »

well if thats the case might i suggest a relaxing vacation on north sentinel island. run right up and say hi to the friendly locals. lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8kV495 ... rkncYkptw2

:Axe:
ninj

*edit

also a good spot for opca litigants. no damn government to push anyone around.
exiledscouser

Post by exiledscouser »

Top islands for me.

Grand Cayman where I lived for a few years. Loved the North Sound in a hammock with a mud slide. Tarpon Alley at 60' down with predatory fish giving you the eyeball. Stingrays eating peas from your hand on a sandbank miles offshore.

Hilbre in the mouth of the river Dee between England and Wales. Huge skies, endless golden sands, broody Welsh hills to one side, the Liverpool cathedrals off in the other distance. Seabirds, seals, sand yachts and scary in-rushing tides.

Bardsey, off the tip of the Lleyn Peninsula. It's another planet, a rock ship out at sea battered by massive waves, full of mysterious ruins and mounds that surely inspired Tolkien.

Lindesfarne off the north east coast of England. A beach to rival anything in the world. A castle in a rocky crag. Houses made from upturned boats. A mist that descends and shrouds the abbey ruins. Pubs that don't close. A ribbon of Tarmac road cut off from the mainland twice a day. Mead made from honey. Known as Holy Island, you don't have to be religious to feel the spirituality of the place.
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

Pubs that don't close? And I've driven right by it without stopping!

There's only one answer to this for me. Vancouver Island. Beautiful place in it's own right with the added distinction that I was born there.

Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

Green Turtle Cay, Abaco.

Then again, I'm old.
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three