Wolf Foundation

A discussion of the better things in life, including music, the arts, wine, beer, cigars, scotch, gambling the Quatloosian way, travel, sports, and many other topics. [Political and religious discussions and the like should stay off-site.]
JamesVincent
A Councilor of the Kabosh

Wolf Foundation

Post by JamesVincent »

Hey guys and gals, I know I haven't been very active these past few months but I have a good excuse, I swear....... the dog ate it!

Since we don't have a dog I guess I need another one. Welcome to my world:

http://www.themoreheadnews.com/news/fam ... 14134.html
James Vincent and his children are trying to start a non-profit to help elderly persons in the community.
He said that his family moved to Rowan County four years ago and over time he began to notice a lack of organizations that help the elderly in their homes, so he decided to start a non-profit group to do just that.
Vincent is calling it the Wolf Foundation.
Wolf was his nickname when he served in the military.
“Right now we’re trying to get started and get running but we’re working with some local businesses to identify people who need help and trying to see what we can do for them,” said Vincent. “There’s a lot of agencies here if you can get to them but there’s no one who goes to see if people have heat or a safe place to live. So we started the Wolf Foundation to help bridge that gap. We started the foundation itself a couple weeks ago but we’ve been doing stuff on our own for years.”
https://www.facebook.com/Wolf-Foundatio ... 861467267/

And now for the gratuitous begging for money:

https://www.gofundme.com/WolfFoundation

As I'm sure the tax people in the room can attest filing my 1023 is going to be friggin expensive, much less the incorporation in KY and other licensing I need at the local level. I already have the county license but need a separate one for the city and liability insurance and a million other things. So if you're looking for a worthy cause this year I'd like to submit my application.

I'm trying to get a little more settled so I can get back to neing a smartass on here more often but it may take some time. Until then, thanks you guys.
Disciple of the cross and champion in suffering
Immerse yourself into the kingdom of redemption
Pardon your mind through the chains of the divine
Make way, the shepherd of fire

Avenged Sevenfold "Shepherd of Fire"
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Re: Wolf Foundation

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

James - you've probably already been aware of the organization - Meals on Wheels. I don't know if there is one in your area but if there is, they'd be an ideal awareness partner. Those that we've been associated with share information on their client's behalf with other agencies when it comes to basic home-maintenance needs.

Good luck!
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
JamesVincent

Post by JamesVincent »

There is a meals on wheels out here but I have had no dealings with them. Only reason I know they're here is that they asked the Fiscal Court for money.

LaVidaRoja
Basileus Quatlooseus

Post by LaVidaRoja »

Also, make contact with local churches, food kitchens and food pantrys. They do not always coordinate. Here, I'm on the board of the local food pantry. Two or three churches also distribute food, and some of them assist with utility bills. One church operates a weekly soup kitchen. In addition, the local police force keeps track of the homeless in our town. We sometimes get MREs that we give the police to distribute to the homeless. Being human, we each tend to guard our little fiefdoms. We can't seem to work together, but we do try to at least be aware of who is doing what.
Little boys who tell lies grow up to be weathermen.
Judge Roy Bean

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

JamesVincent wrote:There is a meals on wheels out here but I have had no dealings with them. Only reason I know they're here is that they asked the Fiscal Court for money.
From my experience at least, it would be worth teaming up with them to find people in need who don't have a way to get in touch with services like the one you're considering.
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
JamesVincent

Post by JamesVincent »

LaVidaRoja wrote:Also, make contact with local churches, food kitchens and food pantrys. They do not always coordinate. Here, I'm on the board of the local food pantry. Two or three churches also distribute food, and some of them assist with utility bills. One church operates a weekly soup kitchen. In addition, the local police force keeps track of the homeless in our town. We sometimes get MREs that we give the police to distribute to the homeless. Being human, we each tend to guard our little fiefdoms. We can't seem to work together, but we do try to at least be aware of who is doing what.
That is also one of the biggest missions of the Foundation, to try to be a intermediary between the people needing help and the multiple agencies out here. I'm a member of the United Methodist Men so I am always among different faith groups.

LaVidaRoja
Basileus Quatlooseus

Post by LaVidaRoja »

Publicity, publicity, publicity. I write a column every month or two for our local paper. The last two paragraphs are boiler-plate, our location, our hours, asking for volunteers and for money.
I also speak to the Rotary, the Chamber of Commerce, anyone who is willing to listen. I even made the local TV shows (when our computer was stolen). Willingness to speak with and meet with almost anyone is a key component of establishing your reputation. I have several of my people who lead food drives at their individual churches. You local utilities and banks often have a public service component/requirement for their employees.
The one danger is getting to be such a boor that your friends start avoiding you.
Little boys who tell lies grow up to be weathermen.
JamesVincent

Post by JamesVincent »

Well, we are officially a state non-profit. I guess we're the equivalent of a 501 (a), still can't afford the paperwork to become a (c) (3). So we are now Wolf Foundation, LLC.

The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Congratulations!
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
JamesVincent

Post by JamesVincent »

I have been accepted to and received my first certification from the Red Cross Disaster Relief Team.