"The Verdict"

A discussion of the better things in life, including music, the arts, wine, beer, cigars, scotch, gambling the Quatloosian way, travel, sports, and many other topics. [Political and religious discussions and the like should stay off-site.]
Number Six
Hereditary Margrave of Mooloosia

"The Verdict"

Post by Number Six »

The Turner movie channel ran "The Verdict" recently. Great movie, Jack Warden was the strongest performance IMO, among the many strong actors in it. There are not many movies featuring trials like this. Have any lawyers on this forum seen theatrics as both lawyers and the judge engaged in? Bending the rules to the breaking point, or is that just entertainment? On the final decisive witness, how is it that her testimony could be struck from the record since her role as a rebuttal to the record, and as a surprise witness? Thanks.
'There are two kinds of injustice: the first is found in those who do an injury, the second in those who fail to protect another from injury when they can.' (Roman. Cicero, De Off. I. vii)

'Choose loss rather than shameful gains.' (Chilon Fr. 10. Diels)
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Re: "The Verdict"

Post by wserra »

The courtroom stuff is very unrealistic. And, for a Prince Of Darkness, James Mason does a really bad cross.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
fortinbras
Princeps Wooloosia

Post by fortinbras »

Despite its tremendous popularity, THE VERDICT showed an incredible absence of professional ethics.
Jack Warden gives his inept alcoholic friend, Paul Newman, a client as an act of charity (to Newman, not the client).
James Mason (the opposing lawyer) is paying an associate of Newman to spy on him.
Paul Newman breaks into someone's mailbox and steals the mail.
A doctor is scheduled to be an expert witness and deliberately disappears just before the trial begins (presumably bribed by Mason to do so).
The best evidence rule is turned on its head by Mason with the cooperation of the judge.
One thing that may well be realistic: Faced with a major lawsuit, the defendant corporation (a hospital) gears up with a major public relations campaign to swamp the locality and brainwash the entire jury pool.
Jeffrey
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by Jeffrey »

I been sucked into American Crime Story and Making a Murderer lately. No offense, but murder cases are way more interesting than tax cases.
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

Can the currently practicing lawyers here suggest any courtroom or legal movies which are at all realistic?
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

The only thing I liked about The Verdict is that I recognized the scenes filmed in the Massachusetts State House.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
Duke2Earl
Eighth Operator of the Delusional Mooloo

Post by Duke2Earl »

I saw the movie some time ago. I thought it was an entertaining movie. Of course it wasn't realistic.....it was a movie.
My choice early in life was to either be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politican. And to tell the truth there's hardly any difference.

Harry S Truman
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

Pottapaug1938 wrote:Can the currently practicing lawyers here suggest any courtroom or legal movies which are at all realistic?
IMHO movies don't do a very good job of depicting trials, mainly because movies are a stream-of-consciousness experience meant to capture and hold an audiences attention over a couple of hours while actual trials (both civil and criminal) are often undramatic and tedious.
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
AndyK
Illuminatian Revenue Supremo Emeritus

Post by AndyK »

FIFY
Judge Roy Bean wrote:
Pottapaug1938 wrote:Can the currently practicing lawyers here suggest any courtroom or legal movies which are at all realistic?
IMHO movies don't do a very good job of depicting trials, mainly because movies are a stream-of-consciousness experience meant to capture and hold an audiences attention over a couple of hours while actual trials (both civil and criminal) are often AT BEST undramatic and tedious.
I've served on several juries, both civil and criminal cases. It's fortunate for both the prosecution and defense attornies that no firearms are permitted in the court house.
Taxes are the price we pay for a free society and to cover the responsibilities of the evaders
Number Six

Post by Number Six »

Here is a list of significant US courtroom trial movies: http://www.listal.com/list/trial-movies

And as pointed out real life is far less entertaining than fictional drama or movies based loosely on fact. Hail Mary witnesses are probably as rare as getting hit by a meteor.
'There are two kinds of injustice: the first is found in those who do an injury, the second in those who fail to protect another from injury when they can.' (Roman. Cicero, De Off. I. vii)

fortinbras
Princeps Wooloosia

Post by fortinbras »

I have long had the pipedream of working up a screenplay of The Trial of Clay Shaw -- the same case (involving the assassination of JFK) that was completely twisted up in Oliver Stone's JFK (1991, starring Kevin Costner). An honest telling would show how a completely innocent man is hounded and nearly convicted by a sociopathic prosecutor, willing to use fake evidence and delusional witnesses to make a name for himself.
Arthur Rubin
Tupa-O-Quatloosia

Post by Arthur Rubin »

fortinbras wrote:An honest telling would show how a completely innocent man is hounded and nearly convicted by a sociopathic prosecutor, willing to use fake evidence and delusional witnesses to make a name for himself.
McMartin?
Arthur Rubin, unemployed tax preparer and aerospace engineer
ImageJoin the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign!

Butterflies are free. T-shirts are $19.95 $24.95 $29.95
Number Six

Post by Number Six »

These days incompetent prosecutors and judges can get identified and scheduled for disciplinary action quickly. As bad as Garrison's actions were, I would side with the conspiracy theories on Kennedy.