Close call!

A discussion of the better things in life, including music, the arts, wine, beer, cigars, scotch, gambling the Quatloosian way, travel, sports, and many other topics. [Political and religious discussions and the like should stay off-site.]
Randall
Warden of the Quatloosian Sane Asylum
Location: The Deep South, so deep I'm almost in Rhode Island.

Re: Close call!

Post by Randall »

My mother of 89 has at least 3 pay as you go cell phones. She fell last summer and broke her leg. Where were the phones? Still in their original packaging. She does carry a medic-alert device with her. She said it took her two hours to crawl less than 50 feet to the door to unlock it before she used the device to call for help. She has since recovered and is back home. The phones are still unopened.
Qweek
Swabby
Swabby

Post by Qweek »

At this age, older people should not be left unattended.
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

My mother passed away in 2007, at age 79. Two years previously, she fell and broke some bones; but Mom (typically stubborn) decided that she shouldn't use her Medic-Alert button "because the door is locked, and the firemen won't be able to get in."

My late father would have been a firefighter, had he not had a secure job with the VA; and when I was a teenager, he told me that most firefighters know how to pick locks, precisely for situations like these.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
Burnaby49
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians

Post by Burnaby49 »

Pottapaug1938 wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:15 am My mother passed away in 2007, at age 79. Two years previously, she fell and broke some bones; but Mom (typically stubborn) decided that she shouldn't use her Medic-Alert button "because the door is locked, and the firemen won't be able to get in."

My late father would have been a firefighter, had he not had a secure job with the VA; and when I was a teenager, he told me that most firefighters know how to pick locks, precisely for situations like these.
Just a few weeks ago I watched a fire crew force open a window so that one could get the door.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
bmxninja357
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by bmxninja357 »

funny thing about being to far to call for help. sometimes it just dosen't matter your age. im 27 with 18 years experience and i have been to far from my phone. i live in a motorhome and sleep on the upper bed over the cab. i have a memory foam mattress and before i made some modifications if it got very cold the mattress gets hard as plywood. you kind of melt into a nice warm hole and i often reach over and turn the furnace off while im sleeping. one morning i went to get up and my back gave up and went into spasms. now i was parked at my sisters and she was in the house. i left my phone on the table. couldnt call for help off my bed. couldnt reach phone. took around an hour for me to get off my bed.

point is keep your lifeline charged and handy. your life or the life of another may depend on it.

peace,
ninj
whoever said laughter is the best medicine never had gonorrhea....
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

A close friend of mine learned the value of keeping his phone with him. An improperly-braced staircase being installed in his home shifted when he stepped onto the top step. As it slid forward, he fell from fourteen feet onto the top step of the lower stairway below it leading down to the basement. He awoke a few hours later, immobilized from injuries but was able to get his phone out of his pocket and call a neighbor. He was within just a few more hours of dying right there in his own home.
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
Arthur Rubin
Tupa-O-Quatloosia

Post by Arthur Rubin »

Judge Roy Bean wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:06 pm A close friend of mine learned the value of keeping his phone with him. An improperly-braced staircase being installed in his home shifted when he stepped onto the top step. As it slid forward, he fell from fourteen feet onto the top step of the lower stairway below it leading down to the basement.
Could have used "fall detection"....

(No offense intended.)
Arthur Rubin, unemployed tax preparer and aerospace engineer
ImageJoin the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign!

Butterflies are free. T-shirts are $19.95 $24.95 $29.95
Judge Roy Bean

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

Arthur Rubin wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:45 am
Judge Roy Bean wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:06 pm A close friend of mine learned the value of keeping his phone with him. An improperly-braced staircase being installed in his home shifted when he stepped onto the top step. As it slid forward, he fell from fourteen feet onto the top step of the lower stairway below it leading down to the basement.
Could have used "fall detection"....

(No offense intended.)
This was far back enough that it was one of the old "pull up the antenna" handsets. No inertia detectors back then! :(
The Devil Makes Three
Qweek
Swabby
Swabby

Post by Qweek »

I had not even heard of such detectors.
Judge Roy Bean

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

Qweek wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:38 pm I had not even heard of such detectors.
If you have a newer phone that will rotate the image on the screen depending on how you hold it, you have them in it. Among other things they detect movement and control the display based on it. They are also used in those emergency notification devices to determine if someone has fallen.

Technically, they're often referred to as "accelerometers."
The Devil Makes Three
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

Judge Roy Bean wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:26 pm
If you have a newer phone that will rotate the image on the screen depending on how you hold it, you have them in it. Among other things they detect movement and control the display based on it. They are also used in those emergency notification devices to determine if someone has fallen.

If you tend to keep your phone in your pocket, it can also tell you how many steps you've taken.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
Judge Roy Bean

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

webhick wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:53 pm
Judge Roy Bean wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:26 pm

If you tend to keep your phone in your pocket, it can also tell you how many steps you've taken.
Don't tell Mrs. Bean; she'd start keeping track of my lack of exercise!!! :oops:
The Devil Makes Three