Hurricane/Tropical Storm Harvey

A discussion of the better things in life, including music, the arts, wine, beer, cigars, scotch, gambling the Quatloosian way, travel, sports, and many other topics. [Political and religious discussions and the like should stay off-site.]
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Hurricane/Tropical Storm Harvey

Post by Famspear »

Based on the rain gauge here at my house:
Friday: zero rain
Saturday: 10.4 inches
Sunday, August 27, up to 10:40 pm: 18.86 inches

Total: 29.26 inches of rain.
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Famspear

Re: Hurricane/Tropical Storm Harvey

Post by Famspear »

For those who don't know, I live on the north side of Houston.

Considering the weather situation here, living in Houston feels a lot like "gambling" right now -- and not so much the "good life."

:shrug:
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

It's now early Monday morning central time in Houston (about 12:36 am). To give you an idea of how bad it is here, of the 18.86 inches of rain on Sunday, 6.9 inches fell here at my home between 6:54 pm and 10:40 pm alone.
Burnaby49
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians

Post by Burnaby49 »

Famspear wrote:For those who don't know, I live on the north side of Houston.

Considering the weather situation here, living in Houston feels a lot like "gambling" right now -- and not so much the "good life."

I drove through Houston in 2008 and it was still recovering from Katrina. Now this. Seems like a dangerous place to live.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

Burnaby49 wrote:

I drove through Houston in 2008 and it was still recovering from Katrina. Now this. Seems like a dangerous place to live.
If it was 2008, you may be thinking of Hurricane Ike. Actually, these storms have been few and far between in Houston. Tropical Storm Allison was really bad in 2001.
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

Famspear wrote:
Burnaby49 wrote:

If it was 2008, you may be thinking of Hurricane Ike. Actually, these storms have been few and far between in Houston. Tropical Storm Allison was really bad in 2001.
You'd know better than me. Lot of signage down in Houston and all kinds of coastal damage between New Orleans and Houston. Still, the fourth largest town in the US getting trashed every decade or so seems an unsustainable situation.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

Burnaby49 wrote:You'd know better than me. Lot of signage down in Houston and all kinds of coastal damage between New Orleans and Houston. Still, the fourth largest town in the US getting trashed every decade or so seems an unsustainable situation.
I've lived here for 31 years. Despite the spectacular pictures on television and the cost to rebuild, hurricanes and tropical storms here don't seem to do material permanent damage. Houston is strong economically.

Also, we know when the storm is coming. Many people here contrast the Gulf Coast storms to earthquakes in California. It is difficult to predict an earthquake. Also, the mud slides.

And, up north, they have those miserable blizzards that paralyze communities -- seemingly every winter. Shoveling snow out of a drive way????!!!??? It's difficult for many people here to understand why anyone would want to live in a climate like that.

I guess it's partly a matter of what a person is "used to".
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

Glad you're safe, if soggy.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
NYGman
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by NYGman »

Stay safe. Living in Florida when younger you learn that it can be just as dangerous after the hurricane, especially with downed power lines, messy roads, and debris everywhere. Glad you made it through, just be careful the next few days.
The Hardest Thing in the World to Understand is Income Taxes -Albert Einstein

Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose - As sung by Janis Joplin (and others) Written by Kris Kristofferson and Fred Foster.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Burnaby49 wrote: Still, the fourth largest town in the US getting trashed every decade or so seems an unsustainable situation.
You are overlooking the fact that Famspear posted this thread in "Gambling and Quatloosia Good Life." Maybe Houstonians like living on the edge.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
notorial dissent

Considering the flooding, and more to come down there, that is putting it mildly.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

We're probably a few decades away from having to start declaring sections of the coast to be uninhabitable, but it's a fair cost benefit analysis to make. Back in '05 there was some good discussion as to whether rebuilding New Orleans post-Katrina was worth the expense:

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_ ... float.html
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

Unfortunately, we've had a turn in events. This morning, Monday, August 28, we woke up to find out our neighborhood flooded. The water is about 15 feet from my front door, and appears to be rising slowly.

We may lose power soon. If the water gets into the house, I'll have to kill the power myself, anyway.
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

Argh. Good luck, stay as safe as possible.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

wserra wrote:Argh. Good luck, stay as safe as possible.
Thanks. I lost my internet during the middle of the day, but now I have it back (about 9:14 pm on Monday 28 August). The neighborhood is still flooded, and the water is closer to my front door (maybe less than 10 feet).

My wife and I spent the day putting the most important items in the attic of our one-story home and putting furniture up on bricks, rolling up rugs and generally trying to move the most important items to higher places.

Almost miraculously, we have not lost our electricity or cable TV (even though Comcast or "infinity" or whatever they call it provides both internet and cable TV to us).

Some of the weather folks on TV are saying that the rain may let up a bit late on Tuesday instead of on Wednesday or Thursday.

Houston desperately needs a break.

I have a rain gauge in my yard. Here are my readings for rain:

Friday, August 25: 0.5 inch.
Saturday, August 26: 10.4 inches.
Sunday, August 27: 18.8 inches.
Monday, August 28, thru my latest reading (at 7:15 pm): 5.0 inches.

I'll take another reading on the rain some time before midnight.
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

PS: I don't have any sand bags, but my wife remembered that we have several unused bags of bark mulch. I have piled about six of them in front of the front door.
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

The water got to within a few feet of my front door, but began receding early Tuesday morning. No water in the house!

The water is now gone from my enclave, but the flood is still preventing me from being able to drive out.
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

Best of luck - it is amazing you still have utilities.

A suggestion - don't go out into the water - especially without waders. God only knows what's in it.
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
wserra

Post by wserra »

JRB - you're far enough west that you're not affected, right?
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
notorial dissent

Anyone heard anything from Prof???