Proving the Earth is flat

A discussion of the better things in life, including music, the arts, wine, beer, cigars, scotch, gambling the Quatloosian way, travel, sports, and many other topics. [Political and religious discussions and the like should stay off-site.]
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Proving the Earth is flat

Post by Famspear »

From the same kind of brain, apparently, that brought us tax protesters.....

.....excerpts from the article, “Rocket launch will prove Earth is flat, California man says,” Nov. 23, 2017, by Lukas Mikelionis, Fox News (with contribution by the Associated Press):
A California man intends to launch himself 1,800 feet high on Saturday in a home-built rocket to prove that astronauts faked the shape of the Earth.

Mike Hughes, a 61-year-old limo driver, said his stunt will be the first phase of the flat-Earth space program, sponsored by Research Flat Earth, a group that believes Earth is, well, flat.

The rocket should travel about a mile at a speed of roughly 500 mph.

[ . . . ]

The daredevil’s aim is to get miles above Earth and snap a photo, proving that astronauts conspired to fabricate the shape of the planet.

“I don’t believe in science,” Hughes said. “I know about aerodynamics and fluid dynamics and how things move through the air, about the certain size of rocket nozzles, and thrust. But that’s not science, that’s just a formula. There’s no difference between science and science fiction.”

[ . . . ]

Hughes, however, is not an absolute amateur when it comes to rocket science. He built his first rocket in 2014 and flew a quarter-mile in Arizona, though the flight left him injured.

[ . . . ]

“John Glenn and Neil Armstrong are Freemasons," Hughes said. "Once you understand that, you understand the roots of the deception."
see
http://www.foxnews.com/science/2017/11/ ... -says.html
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Re: Proving the Earth is flat

Post by notorial dissent »

So it's all a Masonic conspiracy then??? That explains everything.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

Obviously these people have never spent any time on or at the shore of an ocean looking out at the horizon with some good binoculars (or even better, a telescope). In good, clear weather very large ships like aircraft carriers appear as if they're being slowly lifted up from below the surface; you can't see the whole ship until it's within a few miles depending on what you're standing on. But I'm sure they'd have a good explanation for all this. :roll:
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
The Seventh String
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by The Seventh String »

Oh they have explanations aplenty

My favourite at the moment is the one that explains how, when the light rays leave your eyes and go out to the ship, there’s refraction caused by the air density being different at low altitudes over the sea because air temperature changes with altitude. So the cooler, denser air near the sea bends the light rays upwards a bit. So when they’re reflected back to your eyes you only see the upper parts of the ship.

Or maybe the one about how Einstein showed gravity bends light, so, obviously, the closer the light is to the surface of the Earth the greater the effect of gravity on it and the more it gets bent. So because the light’s bent upwards a bit by gravity you can only see the top part of the ship until it’s close enough for the amount of bend in the light to reduce to the point you can see the lower parts of the ship.

Please note that said they have explanations. I didn’t say they had good ones.
NYGman

Post by NYGman »

Wouldn't a camera on a weather balloon be a lot cheaper? Heck, they could book a flight on a small jet, for a hell of a lot less, and it would be a lot safer too.
The Hardest Thing in the World to Understand is Income Taxes -Albert Einstein

Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose - As sung by Janis Joplin (and others) Written by Kris Kristofferson and Fred Foster.
eric
Trivial Observer of Great War

Post by eric »

The Seventh String wrote:Oh they have explanations aplenty
My favourite at the moment is the one that explains how, when the light rays leave your eyes and go out to the ship, there’s refraction caused by the air density being different at low altitudes over the sea because air temperature changes with altitude. So the cooler, denser air near the sea bends the light rays upwards a bit. So when they’re reflected back to your eyes you only see the upper parts of the ship.
I immediately thought of this when you mentioned light rays leaving the eyes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqWvRyXwgxY
That being said, having slogged around Kingston doing this way too much I can spout the required math as required:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levelling ... _Curvature
The best story about levelling is one from my father dating back to the 1940's. When told to do a level survey as part of his training at University of Toronto in the 1940's he and his partner spent the afternoon surveying young ladies on University Ave in downtown Toronto what one particular statue memorialized. Don't mind me, it's an engineer joke. :shrug:
JamesVincent
A Councilor of the Kabosh

Post by JamesVincent »

I got into a "discussion" awhile back with one of these there fruits. Same exact freaking discussion. There is a facebook group, Flat Earth Society, whose page I did trespass upon. When I brought up the fact that on flat ground or water you can see the visible curve of the horizon they brought up "gravity bends light waves" argument. So I asked, what about at 10,000' in elevation in the mountains? What about 18,000'? That's not close to the ground. Can't remember the argument there but just flat denial.

Last thing I remember was asking if they truly wanted proof all they had to do was be in one spot, take pictures of the visible horizon and then be lifted in the air at the exact same spot and take more pictures. The pics would the difference in the visible horizon from whatever altitude they could achieve.

Problem is they don't want to prove anything except that their fingers fit just fine in their ears.
Disciple of the cross and champion in suffering
Immerse yourself into the kingdom of redemption
Pardon your mind through the chains of the divine
Make way, the shepherd of fire

Avenged Sevenfold "Shepherd of Fire"
Randall
Warden of the Quatloosian Sane Asylum
Location: The Deep South, so deep I'm almost in Rhode Island.

Post by Randall »

If the earth is flat, what is on the other side?
NYGman

Post by NYGman »

Randall wrote:If the earth is flat, what is on the other side?
That is the Mirror world, where before only a mirror allowed us access, if we prove this, we could actually visit our mirror image. Although if we go there, won't they come here, we may have to rethink this whole thing.
The Hardest Thing in the World to Understand is Income Taxes -Albert Einstein

Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose - As sung by Janis Joplin (and others) Written by Kris Kristofferson and Fred Foster.
fortinbras
Princeps Wooloosia

Post by fortinbras »

[Moderator: The Observer: Removed post for being a political message]
Arthur Rubin
Tupa-O-Quatloosia

Post by Arthur Rubin »

It's turtles, all the way down....
Last edited by Arthur Rubin on Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Rm signature
notorial dissent

Arthur Rubin wrote:
It's turtles, all the way down....
If the earth were indeed flat, then cats would have long ago knocked everything off. Nuff said!!!

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

He cancelled the flight.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 894762001/

Thank goodness.
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
The Seventh String

NYGman wrote:Wouldn't a camera on a weather balloon be a lot cheaper? Heck, they could book a flight on a small jet, for a hell of a lot less, and it would be a lot safer too.
The web has many flat-earthers using videos and photos shot from high altitude balloons. Apparently the photos show beyond any doubt that the world is indeed flat. Because if it was round it would look different from that altitude. Or something. Because reasons.

No, I don't understand it either.
The Seventh String

Opinions differ.

There's obviously a wall round the Earth or the seas would all run off the edge. Some claim that wall is Antarctica, which is really a 700 feet high ice plateau that goes all the way round the edge. Which is why no-one is allowed to visit Antarctica other than a few carefully vetted scientists, everyone else who tried gets mysteriously disappeared.

After all, if there was nothing to hide, why aren't there cities in Antarctica like everywhere else? All that stuff about months of darkness and blizzards and freezing temperatures is all lies intended to keep people away so they don't find the TRUTH.

Others will assure you there's a big dome over the Earth that covers it at an altitude of 3,000 miles, give or take. So the Moon is a few hundred miles away and 32 miles in diameter, and space travel, satellites etc. are clearly impossible and LIES.

Asking why the (insert tyrannical conspiracy theory world government of choice) would want you to believe the Earth is an oblate spheroid when it's really flat seems to annoy the genuine flat-Earther quite a lot. It seems to be the current conspiracy theory of choice for those who find the idea of flying-saucer operating Nazis living inside a hollow Earth or the OPPT a bit too rational for their tastes.
Judge Roy Bean

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

Arthur Rubin wrote:It's turtles, all the way down....
:shock: A Sturgill Simpson fan? On Quatloos?!?
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
eric
Trivial Observer of Great War

Post by eric »

Of course. There are at least two regulars from Alberta. :shock:
notorial dissent

All I can say, is that if they really want to prove the earth is flat then go jump off the edge, it'll solve two problems at once.
BoomerSooner17

Post by BoomerSooner17 »

NYGman wrote:Wouldn't a camera on a weather balloon be a lot cheaper? Heck, they could book a flight on a small jet, for a hell of a lot less, and it would be a lot safer too.
This was my initial reaction as well. Several of the headlines that I read described his planned flight as a "space flight", which sounds really impressive until you find out that in reality he wasn't even going high enough to need supplemental oxygen.
USA Today wrote:Plus, as he and his team were preparing to leave Wednesday, the motorhome/rocket launcher broke down in his driveway, he said.
Don't you just hate it when your homemade rocket launcher breaks down? :snicker:
"Never in the field of human conflict, was so much owed (but not paid), by so few, to so many." - Sir Winston Churchill
notorial dissent

BoomerSooner17 wrote:
This was my initial reaction as well. Several of the headlines that I read described his planned flight as a "space flight", which sounds really impressive until you find out that in reality he wasn't even going high enough to need supplemental oxygen.
USA Today wrote:Plus, as he and his team were preparing to leave Wednesday, the motorhome/rocket launcher broke down in his driveway, he said.
Don't you just hate it when your homemade rocket launcher breaks down? :snicker:
Parts are just so hard to find, doncha know???? :snicker: