Happy Birthday to my Dog

A discussion of the better things in life, including music, the arts, wine, beer, cigars, scotch, gambling the Quatloosian way, travel, sports, and many other topics. [Political and religious discussions and the like should stay off-site.]
BoomerSooner17
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Happy Birthday to my Dog

Post by BoomerSooner17 »

My Australian Shepherd, Winchester, turned 12 years old on Monday. So far, no major health problems aside from sensitive skin and natural aging. He lays around inside a lot, mainly because it is July in Houston outside. My family is blessed to have such a well-behaved (most of the time), submissive, healthy, and happy dog. My avatar is a picture of him taken at 7 years old.
"Never in the field of human conflict, was so much owed (but not paid), by so few, to so many." - Sir Winston Churchill
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Re: Happy Birthday to my Dog

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

Congratulations!

He doesn't seem to resemble Major Charles Winchester - is the name drawn from something firearm related ?
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
BoomerSooner17

Post by BoomerSooner17 »

His full name is Winchester Model 1873, .44-40. The family made the mistake of letting me name him, but they don't know his full name.

And that's Major Charles Emerson Winchester THE THIRD, thank you very much.
"Never in the field of human conflict, was so much owed (but not paid), by so few, to so many." - Sir Winston Churchill
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

Chile Dog, who is 13, passes on her birthday greetings!

Indulge me, I have a true story to tell.

I work for a big motorcar company, and part of my duties are test driving vehicles. Generally, we twice a day take a transmission at random off the assembly line, put it in a test truck, and I or someone else go out and take a cruise of about 125 miles or so, with diagnostic telemetry software plugged into the OBD port and sometimes a laptop connected to the computer in the car that lets me do unnatural things to the transmission.
There are a lot of people who also drive these test trucks (they're all SUVs or Pickup Trucks) for a variety of reasons, sometimes they need to go to another facility, sometimes for tests, whatever. But every time they come back to the motor pool,a mechanic puts it up on a lift and puts another transmission in it. The mechanics are in the truck most of the time for about 2 minutes, as long as it takes to pull it up on the lift, and that's about it.

So, last week, one of the trucks needed to be taken from Cincinnati to Detroit for some diagnostic tests at the Noise/Vibration/Handling Laboratory and the guy who drove it up actually lives in Detroit. He had the truck in Detroit for the tests etc and kept it for a week while he was out of town, finally bringing it back to Cincinnati. He used the truck for his personal travel while he was there, which is fine, its not unusual. Then yesterday, I took the truck with a new transmission for a drive.

When I got in the truck, the work order for the transmission swap was setting on the dashboard, and written in large, angry scrawl was a note "THERE HAS BEEN A DOG IN THIS TRUCK, IT MUST BE CLEANED BEFORE BEING RETURNED AGAIN TO GARAGE!"

I was not the one who had a dog in the truck, but I was also the one that everyone assumed had. Chili Dog is now regarded as doing my diagnostics for me.

Sorry for the hijack, but this little thing made my weekend. You bring up dogs and I can't help myself.
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
Judge Roy Bean

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

One should always have a qualified co-pilot on board when doing testing. :whistle:
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
BoomerSooner17

Post by BoomerSooner17 »

Judge Roy Bean wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:39 pm One should always have a qualified co-pilot on board when doing testing. :whistle:
"Dog is my Co-Pilot"?
BoomerSooner17

Post by BoomerSooner17 »

Winchester passed away in late October last year; he was 13. He had some kind of growth in his left ear which the vet removed but which then grew back. We think that it grew down into his nose because he started having nose bleeds and couldn't breather through his left nostril.

Well, one night the nose bleed just wouldn't stop. We took him to an animal emergency room (the regular vet's office was closed on Sunday) and they said that they might be able to stop the bleeding but that Winchester was already pretty weak and wouldn't have a good quality of life. My family agreed that the time had come to say goodbye to our beloved pet of 13 years. I couldn't watch, but my sister said that he went peacefully.

On a more positive note, my parents revealed a few weeks ago that they had put down the deposit with a Brittany spaniel breeder for the next litter. Well, the mama dog had six puppies, and we get first pick for a male Brittany. We won't pick him up for another six weeks, but his name will be Cooper.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Gee, I was hoping you would have named him Marlin .45-70.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
BoomerSooner17

Post by BoomerSooner17 »

Well, I didn't get to name the new puppy.
mashak

Post by mashak »

Nice post.You are the best friend a person could have, my dear pooch! GB Whatsapp