Police chief who has a law firm?

A discussion of the better things in life, including music, the arts, wine, beer, cigars, scotch, gambling the Quatloosian way, travel, sports, and many other topics. [Political and religious discussions and the like should stay off-site.]
Number Six
Hereditary Margrave of Mooloosia

Police chief who has a law firm?

Post by Number Six »

I'm not sure who has jurisdiction in these situations.

A police chief with generous salary, benefits and pension getting degrees in philosophy and the law while "serving" as head honcho in the local cop department? This seems to me as a conflict of interest, submitted for examination of ethics.

I got this response to my query from the town selectman:

"The Police Department in **, under our Town Charter, is managed by the Police Commission, not by the Selectmen. At the time of Leon’s selection and appointment to be Chief his outside practice as an attorney was reviewed and approved by the Police Commission. It is my understanding that his private practice of law does not conflict with his duties and time required of him as Chief. My personal observation is that Leon does a fine job and meets all the requirements of his role as Chief of Police. I hope this is responsive to your inquiry."

Any thoughts based on your experience?
'There are two kinds of injustice: the first is found in those who do an injury, the second in those who fail to protect another from injury when they can.' (Roman. Cicero, De Off. I. vii)

'Choose loss rather than shameful gains.' (Chilon Fr. 10. Diels)
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Re: Police chief who has a law firm?

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

I don't see a conflict of interest unless he were to take on a client in a local criminal matter or act on behalf of someone in litigation with the municipality. I'm pretty sure the local ethics rules are comprehensive enough to address those issues.

And there are lots of law enforcement personnel working their way through school; more power to 'em.

Frankly, a Police Chief with a law degree would seem to me to be an asset.
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
Number Six
Hereditary Margrave of Mooloosia

Re: Police chief who has a law firm?

Post by Number Six »

Thanks; I just never heard of it before.

But this in a town where a couple workers were caught for embezzling around $500K:

This is a local story, with national publications picking up the story: https://ncadvertiser.com/126663/breakin ... afeterias/
https://ncadvertiser.com/126678/schools ... ht-things/

What should be consequences on a major fraud like this going on for at least 6 years?

The real estate people and politicians sell the town and Fairfield County in general as having great schools. New Canaan has the highest per capita debt in the state at over $6600 due to excessive school spending.

You would think with all the CPAs, MBAs and other financial experts such problems would be less likely.
'There are two kinds of injustice: the first is found in those who do an injury, the second in those who fail to protect another from injury when they can.' (Roman. Cicero, De Off. I. vii)

'Choose loss rather than shameful gains.' (Chilon Fr. 10. Diels)