69 year old man self-identifies as 49 yr old

A discussion of the better things in life, including music, the arts, wine, beer, cigars, scotch, gambling the Quatloosian way, travel, sports, and many other topics. [Political and religious discussions and the like should stay off-site.]
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

69 year old man self-identifies as 49 yr old

Post by Famspear »

Here's an inspiring story:
69-year-old Dutchman starts legal bid to become 20 years younger

by Tara John
CNN

[Thursday, November 8, 2018]

Lying about your age on dating websites is usually considered a bit of a faux pas. Now a 69-year-old Dutchman wants the courts to make him officially 20 years younger, likening the change to identifying as transgender.

Emile Ratelband has launched a legal bid to change his age by 20 years in order to improve his chances with women on dating applications like Tinder and help with job prospects, according to reports in Dutch media.

"You can change your name. You can change your gender. Why not your age? Nowhere are you so discriminated against as with your age," Dutch paper De Telegraaf quoted Ratelband as saying.

On Monday, he asked a court in his hometown of Arnhem, in the east of the country, for his date of birth to be changed from March 11, 1949 to March 11, 1960.

He told the court that he "suffers" as a 69-year-old and has been feeling "20, 25 years younger" than his official age, according to Dutch newspaper Algemeen Dagblad.

[ . . . ]

"If I put on Tinder that I am 69, I will not get a response...[As] 49, with that face of mine, then I'm rammed," he said.
https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/08/europe/d ... index.html

This is just inspirational!

I myself have always been limited and discriminated against because I was born in rural Louisiana. I feel that I should be a native of London, Paris or Rome, or some other well-known, exotic-sounding place. I think I will go to court and ask for a ruling that I was born in Rome.

:P
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Cpt Banjo
Fretful leader of the Quat Quartet

Re: 69 year old man self-identifies as 49 yr old

Post by Cpt Banjo »

Methinks this guy has been hanging around the Dutch coffee shops too much.
"Run get the pitcher, get the baby some beer." Rev. Gary Davis
Burnaby49
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians

Post by Burnaby49 »

As a geriatric born just a few months away from him I applaud his bold initiative against the vile discrimination of factsism. Why not make both he and I sweet sixteen again? Or make me three years old so I can get free transit? And every teenager can add a decade to their age and drinking is suddenly legal. But one question. Do you actually have to feel the age you aspire to? Because after groaning my way out of bed this morning 69 felt about right. And one downside for Emile. If he wins who's to say that the hot 35 year old who responds to his ad isn't actually 80?
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

Burnaby49 wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:38 pm[ . . . ] And one downside for Emile. If he wins who's to say that the hot 35 year old who responds to his ad isn't actually 80?
Whoah!

:shock:
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

Another downside, if he keeps legally changing his age he's going to die a young man, well before his three score and ten. Does he really want to die in, say, his mid forties, a tragic victim of the registry office?
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

Famspear

Post by Famspear »

I'm, umm... well, older than 65, let's put it that way. I don't think I can afford to be 20 years younger. I think I would be too young to qualify for my U.S. Medicare benefits.
Tevildo
Pirate
Pirate

Post by Tevildo »

From the BBC article:
Mr Ratelband further argued that according to his doctors he has the body of a 45-year-old
Looking at the photos, there's a simple response - "You don't". Unless that 45-year-old has over-indulged in Certain Substances for the past 30 years...
Tevildo
Pirate
Pirate

Post by Tevildo »

Entirely irrelevant, but there was an excellent crash blossom on the BBC site earlier today -
Buffalo drowned "fleeing lions".
Poor little kittens! Unfortunately, they've now updated it to "Lions blamed as hundreds of buffalo drown."
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

I just turned 66. Even if I were single, I'd have a hard time passing as someone who was, say, 46; and even if I found a suitable woman of that age, the gap between her age and my actual age would cause problems ("Paul McCartney? Oh, yeah -- Wings"; "my mother was a little girl when JFK was assassinated"; "AC/DC, Guns N'Roses and Metallica were the bands which changed my life"; and so on).
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
Mike_p
Cannoneer
Cannoneer

Post by Mike_p »

Hmmm? Anyone spotted the howler in the report? ......
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

Sadly for us old geezers Emile lost.

https://nationalpost.com/news/world/dut ... rs-younger

Mike_p
Cannoneer
Cannoneer

Post by Mike_p »

Seems no-one else has spotted that changing d-o-b from 1949 to 1960 is only reducing his 'official' age by 11 years, not 20. These reporters ...? Or is it just modern education or was something horrendously lost in translation?
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

Mike_p wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:01 pm Seems no-one else has spotted that changing d-o-b from 1949 to 1960 is only reducing his 'official' age by 11 years, not 20. These reporters ...? Or is it just modern education or was something horrendously lost in translation?
Hey, I didn't even notice that, and I'm the one who copied the excerpts. However, I notice that the story now says "1969" instead of "1960". Maybe the reporter had made a typo that was later corrected.

But, I guess it would be just as "logical" to say: "Hey, if that guy can get his age changed by legislation or a court order, etc., why can't we also change mathematics itself, so that the period from 1949 to 1960 is changed from 11 years to 20 years?".

:thinking:
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

From the later story -- on the court's rejection of his request:
Ratelband, perhaps unsurprisingly given his background as self-described advocate of positive thinking, was undeterred by the court’s rejection and vowed to appeal.

“This is great!” he said. “The rejection of (the) court is great … because they give all kinds of angles where we can connect when we go in appeal.”
A defeat is a victory! A defeat is a victory!

Mr. Ratelband sounds like someone who has attended the School of Legal Analysis of the Bloviating Blowhard -- the Crack-a-dooster in Chief -- the Fabulous Felon -- Prevaricating Peter, the Pompous, Pandering Pontificator of Preposterously Paralogistic Promulgations -- the Haughty, Haplessly, Hopelessly Humiliated Hendrickson.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

8)
bmxninja357
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by bmxninja357 »

all i know is i identify as an Apache attack helicopter; and as such i demand my own hanger for when i need to change fluids. oh, and since im an Apache helicopter i also need a treaty card.

its only fair.

peace,
ninj
whoever said laughter is the best medicine never had gonorrhea....
ArthurWankspittle
Slavering Minister of Auto-erotic Insinuation

Post by ArthurWankspittle »

I think the state pension department should agree with him, demand 4 years pension back and tell him he can start collecting it again in 16 years.
"There is something about true madness that goes beyond mere eccentricity." Will Self
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

ArthurWankspittle wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:15 pm I think the state pension department should agree with him, demand 4 years pension back and tell him he can start collecting it again in 16 years.
Oops!

:shock:
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

I think what he hasn't come to grips with is the law of unintended consequences.

There are medications that are or are not suitable depending on a patient's age. Given a life-threatening condition that can be treated and age is a key factor in determining the modality used, I wonder which he'd decide was real. :?
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

I think the real reason he's doing all this is that he's a motivational speaker trying to drum up some free publicity. If not he's just an idiot.

Hyrion

Post by Hyrion »

Judge Roy Bean wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:59 pm I think what he hasn't come to grips with is the law of unintended consequences.

There are medications that are or are not suitable depending on a patient's age.
I was thinking along the same lines - but I was thinking about retirement age. When you can officially collect your pension.... the associating costs that might be incurred with collecting it early..... that kind of thing.

It looks like the Dutch State pension benefits start at 65. So by altering his age from 69 to 49 he'd no longer qualify and would be required to head back to work and pay into the pension system for another 16 years - just one of the many impacts that should happen.

But you have a much better one with the life-and-death potential created by the incorrect drug and/or drug injection amount.

Potential Scenario: he's facing death... but could easily be saved by the correct drug dosage.... based on age, the Nurse gives him the correct dosage.... to result in a drug overdose that kills him..... or a drug underdose that fails to save him.

The irony.

edited to include: Oopps... just noticed Arthur already touched on the retirement trap... serves me right for reading the thread from the bottom.