Not really the good life

A discussion of the better things in life, including music, the arts, wine, beer, cigars, scotch, gambling the Quatloosian way, travel, sports, and many other topics. [Political and religious discussions and the like should stay off-site.]
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Not really the good life

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

I have not been on Quatloos since Friday, because my house suffered a bad fire. The worst damage was limited to one corner of the second and third floors, with most other areas suffering smoke and water damage.

The reason why I am writing, though, has to do with what happened last night. The house was locked with a sturdy padlock and hasp; but the screws were not set deep enough. Last night, someone kicked open the door, and cleaned out my wife's heirloom jewelry (and some of mine), plus about $10K worth of coins, the collection of which had taken me 59 years to assemble.

Today, I learned that burglars LOVE to find homes like mine. No one is home; any alarms are probably off; and many valuables were probably left behind in the rush to escape the flames. I hope that no one in the Quatloos community -- or any other communities, including those in those communities on the other side of the fence (Saving to Suitors, for example) has to go through this; but if you have a fire in your house, and are able to get back inside, remove all of your valuables at once, no matter what anyone else says. They will, at best, offer you only their sympathy, if your valuables are stolen and are not specifically insured.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Re: Not really the good life

Post by Famspear »

Sorry to hear this news. I hope the police can find the culprit or culprits and get your possessions back to you.
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

Man, that sucks. Sorry.

Is there any way that you can get the word out to coin dealers with the specifics of your collection? Then they (at least the honest ones) can notify police if someone tries to fence them.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
ArthurWankspittle
Slavering Minister of Auto-erotic Insinuation

Post by ArthurWankspittle »

Really sorry to hear about this.
"There is something about true madness that goes beyond mere eccentricity." Will Self
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

wserra wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:34 am Man, that sucks. Sorry.

Is there any way that you can get the word out to coin dealers with the specifics of your collection? Then they (at least the honest ones) can notify police if someone tries to fence them.
There is a web site for Numismatic Crimes (I don't have it handy, right now). Aside from that, I called some pawn and coin shops. They all said that the honest ones demand genuine IDs, comply with ordinances regarding hold times, and cooperate with law enforcement. The dishonest ones play Denny Dimwit when asked if they have the swag, even if it is sitting right next to them.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
Number Six
Hereditary Margrave of Mooloosia

Post by Number Six »

I'm very sorry to hear of your substantial loss, I just saw it. Of course hindsight is perfect, and I have had huge amounts of valuables where the wrong type of person could have stolen them. Theft is one of the basest types of fraud there are, very painful especially for those who are honest, hard-working and not wealthy.

My brother suffered a fire in his attic several weeks ago, fortunately he has a good support network and an insurance agent of many decades who is doing a top notch job. Someone who spends the winter in FL let him and his family stay in her house, and they are now renting it in the interim.
'There are two kinds of injustice: the first is found in those who do an injury, the second in those who fail to protect another from injury when they can.' (Roman. Cicero, De Off. I. vii)

'Choose loss rather than shameful gains.' (Chilon Fr. 10. Diels)