RIP Prof

A discussion of the better things in life, including music, the arts, wine, beer, cigars, scotch, gambling the Quatloosian way, travel, sports, and many other topics. [Political and religious discussions and the like should stay off-site.]
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness

RIP Prof

Post by wserra »

I just found out that founding member Prof died about a year ago at age 70. I'm ashamed to say that it took me that amount of time to find out. Over the years, he and I corresponded by email and PM, trading legal stories and advice. The "advice" part, I'm grateful to say, was more often inbound than outbound. We didn't practice in the same field - most of his work was in commercial matters, particularly bankruptcy - but every litigator needs an ethical consult from time to time. He always made time in what was obviously a busy schedule, and always gave on-point responses. I hope I did the same.

In recent years, he had certain health issues added to the burden of his practice, but nonetheless always remembered my issues when we corresponded. I'm in the process of retiring from litigation, had something to bounce off him, and realized that I hadn't seen or heard from him in a while. A quick google revealed why. Apparently he died less than a month after our last email exchange. I will forever deny any causal relationship.

He never made much of an effort here to conceal his identity, so I'm sure he wouldn't mind if I linked to a touching piece by someone who knew him.

RIP.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Re: RIP Prof

Post by notorial dissent »

So sorry to hear that, he was a true gentleman and a delight to read.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Duke2Earl
Eighth Operator of the Delusional Mooloo

Post by Duke2Earl »

Very sorry to hear that.
My choice early in life was to either be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politican. And to tell the truth there's hardly any difference.

Harry S Truman
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

Back during the mortgage crisis he was a sound, steady hand and source of advice. We connected directly a number of times on bankruptcy issues.

I wasn't aware he had passed it's really sad to lose a Texan of that caliber.
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

I'm very sorry to hear the news. To date, he is the only Quatloosian who I have met in person -- when my wife and I were visiting Austin, in November of 2012, he and his wife made the time to meet me at an outdoor restaurant/beer garden. I always hoped that I'd cross paths with him again.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

Sad news. My thoughts are with his family and friends.
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
wserra

Post by wserra »

Judge Roy Bean wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:56 pmit's really sad to lose a Texan of that caliber.
Absolutely agree, JRB. In fact, the only thing sadder would be to lose a non-Texan of that caliber.
- David Hume
texino
Grand Debunker of Medical Quackery

Post by texino »

PROF was a solid wall to toss your questions against and receive a reasonable well thought out reply. He will always carry my respect, as will the other law people on the Q; all of whom have been so generous with their time. (and Deep Kight too)
Texino
ҨTexino₪
Siga el dinero
El camino continúa por siempre, pero el partido nunca termina
texino@gmail.com
wserra

Post by wserra »

Hey, Tomás. How are you?
- David Hume
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

Prof was an amazing person. Among his many contributions, I will always fondly remember that time he combed through a dozen states worth of bullshit to locate The Word Salad Generator's unredacted document so we could throw him out on his ass. Good times.

His former law office has a touching memorial for him.

He will be sorely missed.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

I think that one thing that the obituaries missed among the personal activities of Prof was his love of dove hunting in the fall. I was glad to have interacted here with Prof, if only through the medium of electrons. Ego sum melior est homo autem est in eo
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
wserra

Post by wserra »

Obs - I hope we continue to see you around.

Life's too short.
- David Hume
Number Six
Hereditary Margrave of Mooloosia

Post by Number Six »

I'm very sorry to hear of this; a true Southern gentleman living in reality. I'll have to review his old posts.

Having lost far too many to what I believe are preventable diseases, I try to take organic raw garlic regularly, usually at night with other natural alternatives and no drugs. I can't even take Tylenol.
'There are two kinds of injustice: the first is found in those who do an injury, the second in those who fail to protect another from injury when they can.' (Roman. Cicero, De Off. I. vii)

'Choose loss rather than shameful gains.' (Chilon Fr. 10. Diels)