Beverage Choice

A discussion of the better things in life, including music, the arts, wine, beer, cigars, scotch, gambling the Quatloosian way, travel, sports, and many other topics. [Political and religious discussions and the like should stay off-site.]
lurker9000
Gunners Mate
Gunners Mate

Beverage Choice

Post by lurker9000 »

I may have inadvertently started a discussion about some Canadian beers on a thread dedicated to the I am not sure what adjective to use Winston Shrout :whistle:

I thought I would invite anyone that thinks my fondness for Molson Canadian and Labatt Blue is well wrong or crazy to feel free to post some other beverages they would recommend. I am always looking for more options and like to try other local brews when I travel. So feel free to post anything that you like I will keep an eye out for it and try it when I can.
AndyK
Illuminatian Revenue Supremo Emeritus

Re: Beverage Choice

Post by AndyK »

With respect to Molson Canadian, Labatt Blue, Budweiser, Millers, and Coors (to name a few), I prefer beer.

My basic rule is "If I can see through it, I won't drink it."

Porter, stout, heavy IPA: my suds of choice.

As a recommendation, Dogfish 60, 90 or 120 minute IPA. Heavily hoppy and alcohol content up to 12%.
Taxes are the price we pay for a free society and to cover the responsibilities of the evaders
Burnaby49
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians

Post by Burnaby49 »

I thought I would invite anyone that thinks my fondness for Molson Canadian and Labatt Blue is well wrong or crazy to feel free to post some other beverages they would recommend. I am always looking for more options and like to try other local brews when I travel. So feel free to post anything that you like I will keep an eye out for it and try it when I can.
I can't make general recommendations because, outside of traveling, I only drink beers brewed locally in Vancouver by our many craft breweries. The largest brewery who's products I purchase is Steamworks and I don't think their beers can be purchased outside of British Columbia. My travel destinations are often determined by the beers and pubs I can enjoy there hence the eight trips I've taken to the UK in the past 20 years to imbibe cask ale in CAMRA approved heritage pubs. My friend and I also do frequent driving trips to craft breweries in the American north-west, Seattle, Portland, Bend, Olympia and all of the other venues that have emerged as craft beer centers.

To quote AndyK
With respect to Molson Canadian, Labatt Blue, Budweiser, Millers, and Coors
I don't have the slightest idea what to suggest amongst their various product lines. Although I do disagree with AndyK regarding one of his comments;
My basic rule is "If I can see through it, I won't drink it."
Our local breweries make many fine lagers, pilsners, Kolschs and other light coloured beers. One beer I found to my surprise I really enjoy is sour beer. It's currently a local craze and our craft breweries are going all-in to meet the market. Someone commented that all I drank in my last posted pubbing list was sours and it's true, I'm grabbing the opportunity while it's there. So that's a recommendation I'd make. If you see a locally made sour, give it a shot.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

lurker9000 wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:10 pmI thought I would invite anyone that thinks my fondness for Molson Canadian and Labatt Blue is well wrong or crazy
Me! The Canadian equivalent of Bud or Coors. You know, whale piss.

Plenty of good Canadian beer available in NY. At least three from Unibroue, all simply outstanding: Maudite (dubbel), La Fin du Monde (tripel) and Trois Pistoles (dark ale). I don't mean to slight other fine Canadian beers one can get here - Alexander Keith, Denison, Propeller, others - but I'll drink one of the Unibroues anytime.

Can't sign off without a plug for an upstate NY craft brewery called Ommegang. Burnaby had some while he was here. Several exceptional offerings, frequently available here on tap.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
Dr. Caligari
J.D., Miskatonic University School of Crickets

Post by Dr. Caligari »

wserra wrote:The Canadian equivalent of Bud or Coors.
Reminds me of a riddle I once heard:

Why is Coors like having sex in a rowboat?

Because they're both f***ing close to water.
Dr. Caligari
(Du musst Caligari werden!)
Arthur Rubin
Tupa-O-Quatloosia

Post by Arthur Rubin »

Dr. Caligari wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:52 pmWhy is Coors like having sex in a rowboat?

Because they're both f***ing close to water.
I thought it was "canoe", rather than "rowboat"....
Arthur Rubin, unemployed tax preparer and aerospace engineer
ImageJoin the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign!

Butterflies are free. T-shirts are $19.95 $24.95 $29.95
AnOwlCalledSage
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by AnOwlCalledSage »

I have just been to what is colloquially referred to as "a gig". During the festivities I partook of a fine beer which went under the name "Amstel". I then followed it up with a couple of bottles of the equally fine brew, "Heineken". I'm now on the train home quaffing from a can of that fine Aussie beverage "Fosters" but that's because only Tesco was open and I'm not drinking Wife Beater this time of night.
Hic.
Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's Razor
rogfulton
Caveat Venditor
Location: No longer behind the satellite dish, second door along - in fact, not even in the same building.

Post by rogfulton »

I recently came across a Flemish sour that rewarded my curiosity, Vander Ghinste re-brown. It was in a box lot I won at a charity auction. I had not previously heard of sour ale.

I am looking forward to trying the St. Guillen Cuvee de Noel Belgian bottle fermented ale, also in that lot. I will need help with it because of size (1.5 L) due to lack of success recorking any bottle.
"No man is above the law and no man is below it; nor do we ask any man's permission when we require him to obey it. Obedience to the law is demanded as a right; not asked as a favor."
- President Theodore Roosevelt
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

I am partial to what is called the "New England IPA", or "juice bomb" -- hazy, citrusy, hoppy, and with little or no bitterness. I also like West Coast IPAs, weissbiers, porters, rauchbiers and brown ales. I can also enjoy a good pilsner, if made by a craft brewer and not by a macrobrewer making weasel whizz.

My go-to brewery is Trillium, out of Boston. It's tough to find, because all of their production is snapped up locally; but I do have an "in", if needed: my son is the Retail Sales manager for the Boston location.

For hard liquor, my choice is almost always rum and Coke, or the Puerto Rican variant, "Cuba Libre", with lime juice added. I also love a good Singapore Sling.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

wserra wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:24 pm
lurker9000 wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:10 pmI thought I would invite anyone that thinks my fondness for Molson Canadian and Labatt Blue is well wrong or crazy
Me! The Canadian equivalent of Bud or Coors. You know, whale piss.

Plenty of good Canadian beer available in NY. At least three from Unibroue, all simply outstanding: Maudite (dubbel), La Fin du Monde (tripel) and Trois Pistoles (dark ale). I don't mean to slight other fine Canadian beers one can get here - Alexander Keith, Denison, Propeller, others - but I'll drink one of the Unibroues anytime.

Can't sign off without a plug for an upstate NY craft brewery called Ommegang. Burnaby had some while he was here. Several exceptional offerings, frequently available here on tap.
Actually WES, that's horse, very old, very sick horse. I agree with Andy.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
eric
Trivial Observer of Great War

Post by eric »

Burnaby49 wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:49 pm I can't make general recommendations because, outside of traveling, I only drink beers brewed locally in Vancouver by our many craft breweries. The largest brewery who's products I purchase is Steamworks and I don't think their beers can be purchased outside of British Columbia.
Actually you can purchase Steamworks libations here in Alberta at chain stores such as SuperCentre. Personally my tastes go towards products made here... https://www.oldscollege.ca/shopoc/brewery/index.html
They're close, I'm supporting local education, and sometimes the students come out with some surprisingly good brews (also some scary bad stuff too). Personal note, any time I go there if an instructor is present they try to convince me to enroll there as a student. My present employer also supports some of their other Ag College programs - nothing like having to teach a wack of students the practicalities of modern swine farming with zero notice.
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

The Steamworks brewery is just a short drive from my house. I can walk it in 45 minutes and I often do. Load up my backpack with beer and have one there in their excellent tasting room. One of the nicest spots to have a beer in the greater Vancouver area.

"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
AndyK
Illuminatian Revenue Supremo Emeritus

Post by AndyK »

Frederick, Maryland:

For a relatively small city, the number of craft breweries is astounding.

Every time I think I've tried them all, another three have opened.

The beers follow German, British, Belgian and other European traditions: IPA, stout, porter, cloudy sours (agreed - surprisingly drinkable), lagers, pilsners, and some really strange stuff such as a blood orange infused IPA.

So, if you happen to be in Baltimore or Washington DC or even Philadelphia or NYC, it's close enough for a day trip.

Plus, the city, itself, is worth visiting -- especially if travelling with a dog. All the stores welcome canine companions and the restaurants serve the pets first (but only outdoors).

Let me know so I can meet you and help you hoist one or six.
Taxes are the price we pay for a free society and to cover the responsibilities of the evaders
lurker9000
Gunners Mate
Gunners Mate

Post by lurker9000 »

Thanks for the suggestions, but I'm getting thirsty now.
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

wserra wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:24 pm
Me! The Canadian equivalent of Bud or Coors. You know, whale piss. ...
Obviously, your culinary experiences are somewhat broader than mine. :shock:
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
Number Six
Hereditary Margrave of Mooloosia

Post by Number Six »

I see no reason to drink unless you enjoy the beverage. I avoid junk food and drink (eschew).

I like IPA beer, don't get a good buzz from the commercial junk beers.
'There are two kinds of injustice: the first is found in those who do an injury, the second in those who fail to protect another from injury when they can.' (Roman. Cicero, De Off. I. vii)

'Choose loss rather than shameful gains.' (Chilon Fr. 10. Diels)