Medicare and skilled nursing facilities

A discussion of the better things in life, including music, the arts, wine, beer, cigars, scotch, gambling the Quatloosian way, travel, sports, and many other topics. [Political and religious discussions and the like should stay off-site.]
Arthur Rubin
Tupa-O-Quatloosia

Medicare and skilled nursing facilities

Post by Arthur Rubin »

Any US person happen to know how long Medicare will cover a skilled nursing facility after a covered surgery? I want to know when to contact our long-term-care insurance to start covering the excess, as it's likely she will take longer than the norm to recover.

I think my mailbox here is full, so please post in the thread.
Arthur Rubin, unemployed tax preparer and aerospace engineer
ImageJoin the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign!

Butterflies are free. T-shirts are $19.95 $24.95 $29.95
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Re: Medicare and skilled nursing facilities

Post by wserra »

Given the conditions qualify (sounds like they do) and the stay is in a Medicare-approved facility, Medicare fully covers for the first 20 days, partially for the next 80 days, nothing beyond that.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
LaVidaRoja
Basileus Quatlooseus

Post by LaVidaRoja »

Check the qualifying period on your long-term care insurance. Older policies my have only a 30-day waiting period. Newer policies (21st Cen) usually have at least a 90-day wait before they begin covering.
Little boys who tell lies grow up to be weathermen.
Arthur Rubin
Tupa-O-Quatloosia

Post by Arthur Rubin »

In regard the waiting period for long term care insurance; she already used the initial 90 day waiting period, but we took her out of an assisted living community because we were about to run out of benefits; I think we still have about $13,000 of benefits left. I don't think there's another waiting period.

I'll call them on Monday.
Arthur Rubin, unemployed tax preparer and aerospace engineer
ImageJoin the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign!

Butterflies are free. T-shirts are $19.95 $24.95 $29.95
Number Six
Hereditary Margrave of Mooloosia

Post by Number Six »

There are a lot of complications involved in using Medicare; I have an older sister who has been in a nursing home since March and application for Medicaid was done through the facility. I spoke to some elder law attorneys that charge around $7K or more for a Medicaid application.. I contacted an area council on aging supervisor who said that "Medicare savings" should be applied for. In many cases patients are not fully covered for their stay, one reason these nursing homes are often insolvent. I have been shocked at how little many of the so called experts know about choices for loved ones within these very unsavory places.
'There are two kinds of injustice: the first is found in those who do an injury, the second in those who fail to protect another from injury when they can.' (Roman. Cicero, De Off. I. vii)

'Choose loss rather than shameful gains.' (Chilon Fr. 10. Diels)