Bank holiday

A discussion of the better things in life, including music, the arts, wine, beer, cigars, scotch, gambling the Quatloosian way, travel, sports, and many other topics. [Political and religious discussions and the like should stay off-site.]
AndyK
Illuminatian Revenue Supremo Emeritus

Bank holiday

Post by AndyK »

What if

nation-wide bank holiday until we beat the virus

all mortgages, rents, loan payments, taxes, savings account interest payments, suspended.

let the money flow where needed: food, medicine, etc

After people get back to work, then sort things out

Totally insane???
Taxes are the price we pay for a free society and to cover the responsibilities of the evaders
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Re: Bank holiday

Post by notorial dissent »

I think it is not only a good idea but going to be a necessity, not so much a holiday but a moratorium on those kinds of payments.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Frater I*I
Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

First thing that should have been done was to nationalize power and water companies [they're state granted monopolies to begin with], tell them they are essential services, they will not shut off services to anyone, and that they are to stop charging people for service until further advised.
Gazer Into the SovCit Abyss
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

Too late on that one. Utilities (power, water, gas, phone) are state regulated. most states have already declared a moratorium on service shutoff.
Taxes are the price we pay for a free society and to cover the responsibilities of the evaders
Arthur Rubin
Tupa-O-Quatloosia

Post by Arthur Rubin »

Frater I*I wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:45 pm First thing that should have been done was to nationalize power and water companies [they're state granted monopolies to begin with], tell them they are essential services, they will not shut off services to anyone, and that they are to stop charging people for service until further advised.
I'm not sure even (US) states have the power to restrict municipal utility companies from shutting off service.
Arthur Rubin, unemployed tax preparer and aerospace engineer
ImageJoin the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign!

Butterflies are free. T-shirts are $19.95 $24.95 $29.95
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

It's a nice idea, but doesn't take into account economic reality. A suspension of payments means that someone somewhere is going to be taking a loss. Of course, that loss is seen as acceptable because of the perception that the receivers of these suspended payments are "rich" and can "afford" the loss. And the idea assumes that that those who owe do not have the ability to make the payments, regardless of whether they are still working (or at least receiving income of some sort), can borrow or have savings or assets they can liquidate.

Right now we are in a panic mode because all we are focusing on is the fact that the virus is causing deaths. We still have not done anything concrete in getting solid numbers on how much of the population is infected and asymptomatic, let alone how many are actually infected and cognizant that they have COVID-19. Thus any kind of plans to beat the virus, whether medically or economically, have no basis in reality and have the potential to aggravate the problems we are seeing now.

I would rather see the government focus on getting mass testing rolled out, so that intelligent decisions can be made as to what should be done next. Due to the virus being contagious as it is, trying to stop it from spreading under the current methods is pointless. The people who need to quarantine are the known risk groups: seniors, people with heart/respiratory/blood pressure conditions and diabetics. They should be the ones given the leeway to stay at home from work and to not go out into the public until the virus has spread and burned itself out; in return they should be provided with food, medicine, and economic relief as needed.

Final thing is that this topic has a strong potential to spill over into a political discussion. I would ask that people refrain from going off in that direction. If I see it start, I will lock this topic down immediately. Thanks!
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Dark Optimist
Scalawag
Scalawag

Post by Dark Optimist »

Has anyone heard about the treatments being used? I'm speaking of actual treatment, not speculation or self-promotion. All I have really heard is that there is a tremendous need for ventilators.

But is this like the flu - drink lots of fluids and take aspirin? Or is there a more specific protocol that is being used?
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

So far, the only treatments have been "treat the symptoms." Keep them breathing (ventilators), keep them hydrated (IV fluids), and keep the fever down.

Beyond that, there hasn't been anything demonstrably successful. A couple of untested anecdotally reported instances of alleged cures (more like recoveries after the body cures itself) with medications that are almost as dangerous as the virus.

Vaccine? Probably not for close to a year.
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

It's a virus, so finding anything to work on it is highly unlikely. Usually finding an anti-viral takes years and years. We can hope, but.....
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
AnOwlCalledSage
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by AnOwlCalledSage »

Dark Optimist wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:55 pm Has anyone heard about the treatments being used? I'm speaking of actual treatment, not speculation or self-promotion. All I have really heard is that there is a tremendous need for ventilators.

But is this like the flu - drink lots of fluids and take aspirin? Or is there a more specific protocol that is being used?
It's a SARS related illness. Which means in humans it affects the respiratory system. If you have any affliction that may result in a poor response then you are in trouble and if you cannot breath then a ventilator is your only hope. There is no vaccine, so the usual treatment of giving a weak "dose" to built herd immunity does not exist yet. Herd immunity will be a consequence of the virus, but without a vaccine it means that 2% of the population is in deep shit until that comes about naturally.

I've had a persistent cough for the last two weeks. And that's after attending a mass sporting event whilst we weren't under orders. It could be just a seasonal cold. I've not felt particularly bad and have self medicated on paracetamol and Whiskey Macs. But I do not like playing Russian roulette with someone else's life, so I've stayed at home. It's the least I can do.
Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's Razor
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

Assuming it is SARS-like, why hasn't SFBFKADMVP been up there pitching his frequency generator that 'cured' him of SARS?
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

AndyK wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:17 pm Assuming it is SARS-like, why hasn't SFBFKADMVP been up there pitching his frequency generator that 'cured' him of SARS?
I'll have to check out Saving to Suckers -- er, Suitors, to see if he is doing anything like that.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

He is.

DMVP and his COVID-19-curing device make Robert Menard and his ventilator-cum-fireplace-bellows seem like Albert Einstein.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

I'm afraid there is no "solution" for the economic fallout unless and until people can go back to work.
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

wserra wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:01 pm He is.

DMVP and his COVID-19-curing device make Robert Menard and his ventilator-cum-fireplace-bellows seem like Albert Einstein.
It's been quite a while since I last visited the other end of the rabbit hole. Reading DMVP's latest effluent, or offerings, I remembered why I haven't done so in a while
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools