The Rockford Files

A discussion of the better things in life, including music, the arts, wine, beer, cigars, scotch, gambling the Quatloosian way, travel, sports, and many other topics. [Political and religious discussions and the like should stay off-site.]
Number Six
Hereditary Margrave of Mooloosia

The Rockford Files

Post by Number Six »

I've been watching the various seasons of "The Rockford Files" on Amazon Prime. Rockford in his series was literally threatened by all types of fraud as a private eye, would make a lot of people cynical. He did his own stunts which turned out being a mistake in the long run with persistent physical injuries. Here is an episode where tax enforcers figured strongly: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0688078/
'There are two kinds of injustice: the first is found in those who do an injury, the second in those who fail to protect another from injury when they can.' (Roman. Cicero, De Off. I. vii)

'Choose loss rather than shameful gains.' (Chilon Fr. 10. Diels)
Burnaby49
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians

Re: The Rockford Files

Post by Burnaby49 »

Loved the show and watched the whole series during its original TV run from 1974 to 1980, back in the day when you had to actually schedule shows in. I now have the whole series on DVD and can watch whenever the hell I want.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
Frater I*I
Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Burnaby49 wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:36 am back in the day when you had to actually schedule shows in
Bet ya had to walk to school in the snow....

Uphill....

Both ways.... :D
Gazer Into the SovCit Abyss
Dark Optimist
Scalawag
Scalawag

Post by Dark Optimist »

Without shoes...
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

Frater I*I wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:41 pm
Burnaby49 wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:36 am back in the day when you had to actually schedule shows in

Uphill....

Yes and no. It was a long uphill slope to school but i got the downhill home.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Burnaby49 wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:12 pm
Frater I*I wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:41 pm

Uphill....

Yes and no. It was a long uphill slope to school but i got the downhill home.
But at least you were barefoot, right?
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

Don't you people pay any attention? Look at the description I've given for my location since I joined Quatloos almost a decade ago.
The Evergreen Playground
Shoes? Who needs shoes in a playground? Back in those halcyon days it was always summer and always sunny.

The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Burnaby49 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:50 am Shoes? Who needs shoes in a playground? Back in those halcyon days it was always summer and always sunny.
But with snow on the ground.

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
NYGman
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by NYGman »

Does this need a repost?

The Hardest Thing in the World to Understand is Income Taxes -Albert Einstein

Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose - As sung by Janis Joplin (and others) Written by Kris Kristofferson and Fred Foster.
AnOwlCalledSage

Post by AnOwlCalledSage »

If you are going to post it, at least post the original. 8)

Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's Razor
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

AnOwlCalledSage wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:55 pm If you are going to post it, at least post the original.
Wow, you had access to the video - we dreamed of being able to have video. We had to be happy with photos of the skit pasted onto cardboard and then flipping them to simulate a moving picture.

rogfulton
Caveat Venditor
Location: No longer behind the satellite dish, second door along - in fact, not even in the same building.

Post by rogfulton »

The Observer wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:43 am Wow, you had access to the video - we dreamed of being able to have video. We had to be happy with photos of the skit pasted onto cardboard and then flipping them to simulate a moving picture.
Photos?

You're lucky. We had to wait for the tot next door to draw stick figures on the backs of envelopes for us to flip through. And he was blind in one eye.
"No man is above the law and no man is below it; nor do we ask any man's permission when we require him to obey it. Obedience to the law is demanded as a right; not asked as a favor."
- President Theodore Roosevelt
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

You have cardboard? You lucky, lucky bastard!

AnOwlCalledSage

Burnaby49 wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:01 am You have cardboard? You lucky, lucky bastard!
We are veering into "What Have Yorkshiremen Ever Done For Us?" territory here!
Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's Razor
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

AnOwlCalledSage wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:48 am
Burnaby49 wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:01 am You have cardboard? You lucky, lucky bastard!
We are veering into "What Have Yorkshiremen Ever Done For Us?" territory here!
And legitimately. My mother was born and grew up in Hull and I've been there at least a dozen times, first time in 1950. I've had a beer in almost every pub in downtown Hull and Hessle and every pub on Hessle Road. Including, in one of my most fraught pubbing experiences, the Criterion, the low point in my British pubbing adventures.

AnOwlCalledSage

Burnaby49 wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:11 am And legitimately. My mother was born and grew up in Hull and I've been there at least a dozen times, first time in 1950. I've had a beer in almost every pub in downtown Hull and Hessle and every pub on Hessle Road. Including, in one of my most fraught pubbing experiences, the Criterion, the low point in my British pubbing adventures.
So, you've been to Hull and back!
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

I've been to the Criterion on karaoke night, that's close enough for me.

Number Six
Hereditary Margrave of Mooloosia

Post by Number Six »

Of course "Rockford Files" is entertainment and James Garner was a superb actor in most roles he played.

So regrets on his insisting doing stunt scenes when a stand in probably would have been smarter. He fell down some stairs in one scene, not sure in which season and he was partially handicapped after that requiring rest that the studio did not want to give him. He later talked about how cannabis helped him over the years, no one could begrudge him that especially for the pain. Most episodes are far fetched, but insurance fraud is a common area for PIs.

Probably too violent in retrospect, I can see criminals using lingo learned in his episodes and methods to throw fear into their targets and victims. "Law and Order" was also judged too violent by one AG angering Michael Moriarty who quit and moved to Canada after that.
'There are two kinds of injustice: the first is found in those who do an injury, the second in those who fail to protect another from injury when they can.' (Roman. Cicero, De Off. I. vii)

'Choose loss rather than shameful gains.' (Chilon Fr. 10. Diels)
JamesVincent
A Councilor of the Kabosh

Post by JamesVincent »

Always liked his attitude and his car.
Disciple of the cross and champion in suffering
Immerse yourself into the kingdom of redemption
Pardon your mind through the chains of the divine
Make way, the shepherd of fire

Avenged Sevenfold "Shepherd of Fire"
bmxninja357

Post by bmxninja357 »

i think my favourite thing in jimmy's arsenal was the business card printer in his glove box. loved that trick.

but investigators the best has to be....

banacek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykuGCT2uixk

peace,
ninj
whoever said laughter is the best medicine never had gonorrhea....