Christmas

A discussion of the better things in life, including music, the arts, wine, beer, cigars, scotch, gambling the Quatloosian way, travel, sports, and many other topics. [Political and religious discussions and the like should stay off-site.]
JamesVincent
A Councilor of the Kabosh

Christmas

Post by JamesVincent »

So, as some of the older members know, I've been battling some serious health issues the past few years, both physical and mental. My Christmas, and birthday present too I would reckon, to myself was to verify that I will be having heart surgery. After seeing the surgeon this morning it was decided that I will be having my heart snipped in mid January, date to be decided in the next week or so. The surgeon only gives an ablation about a 50% chance of working since I've been in Afib for years non stop. They will wait about a month to see if my heart goes back into rythym. If it does not then they will perform a second surgery where they cut the back of the heart and then redo the interior ablation. Once I'm in for the ablation they will decide on operating on my heart valve. Since it's only a moderate leak they aren't making it a priority. However, in the past 2 years I've been hospitalized 5 times with Congestive Heart Failure, all caused by the leaking valve so, to me, it's just as important. While they are doing the ablation they will be inserting a heart monitor internally that notifies the office whenever my heart goes whacky.

So that was my Christmas Eve story and what my holidays will be about. Hopefully you all have better ones.
Disciple of the cross and champion in suffering
Immerse yourself into the kingdom of redemption
Pardon your mind through the chains of the divine
Make way, the shepherd of fire

Avenged Sevenfold "Shepherd of Fire"
eric
Trivial Observer of Great War

Re: Christmas

Post by eric »

Prayers for a successful outcome of your surgery. In my household it's going to be a quiet one - basicly locked down due to Covid. Of course it doesn't help that we're socked in by the weather, travel not advised, etc. I may attempt a trip to the local purveyor of libations for some Christmas cheer, assuming I can get out my driveway. Anyways, merry Christmas to all.
Burnaby49
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians

Post by Burnaby49 »

Like the rest of you we're making do within allowed limits. We skipped our traditional family Xmas dinner get together, the first time in over 70 years, so we're turning it into a meals on wheels. We're making a full Xmas dinner for each son and family. I'm about to put a 12 pound ham in the oven, they preferred that over a whole roast chicken each. Add scalloped potatoes, piles of wife's stuffing, and a pumpkin pie each wife just baked. Delivered to their doors at about 5:00. They're responsible for the vegetables.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
AndyK
Illuminatian Revenue Supremo Emeritus

Post by AndyK »

JV

I had serious tachycardia (like multiple ambulance rides) some years ago. It took three procedures to get it under control. But it finally worked.

So. just firmly believe that the long term odds are in your favor.
Taxes are the price we pay for a free society and to cover the responsibilities of the evaders
eric

Post by eric »

JamesVincent wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:43 pm While they are doing the ablation they will be inserting a heart monitor internally that notifies the office whenever my heart goes whacky.
Cute. Back story - I worked in the medical telemetry field years ago designing all sorts of swallowed/inserted/worn or implanted medical monitoring devices. Here's a hint to preserve marital peace and serenity - warn your wife before hand when testing out a device for warning farmers when a high value animal is about to give birth. I had programmed it to phone me and those calls at 3 AM saying "It's Betsy, come quick, I'm giving birth" required some explaining that Betsy was a cow. :roll:
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

So you say.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
eric

Post by eric »

Well it did require a visit up to the research barn where she got a chance to meet Betsy and her sisters and a demonstration by myself as to how to insert a device up against a pregnant cow's cervix. (just don't ask) :mrgreen:
Anyways, due to the beer virus my family is celebrating a rather distant Christmas with family in Portugal, Ontario, Australia, and Washington State so it's just the two of here with a turkey. Please no references to hams and the definition of eternity.
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

Hang in there, James. I know that you've been hearing that for a while, but it beats the alternative.

Merry Christmas, all.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

James best wishes, will be thinking about you.

Merry Christmas to all and all my best wishes.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Cathulhu
Order of the Quatloos, Brevet First Class

Post by Cathulhu »

Might be the first Xmas of my life that doesn't involve driving somewhere.
Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to. T. Pratchett
Always be a moving target. L.M. Bujold
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

I have been in the hospital for about a week and a half. I had a bone marrow transplant last week, and the doctor has indicated that I may be able to go home on Tuesday. I'm actually feeling pretty good -- just a sore throat and a rash on my back (which may or may not relate to the cancer that has resulted in my having the transplant). Christmas Day here in my hospital room wasn't too bad. I was able to have phone conferences with family, etc.
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
JamesVincent
A Councilor of the Kabosh

Post by JamesVincent »

Famspear wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:45 pm I have been in the hospital for about a week and a half. I had a bone marrow transplant last week, and the doctor has indicated that I may be able to go home on Tuesday. I'm actually feeling pretty good -- just a sore throat and a rash on my back (which may or may not relate to the cancer that has resulted in my having the transplant). Christmas Day here in my hospital room wasn't too bad. I was able to have phone conferences with family, etc.
Good to hear from you Fam. Been worried about you.
Disciple of the cross and champion in suffering
Immerse yourself into the kingdom of redemption
Pardon your mind through the chains of the divine
Make way, the shepherd of fire

Avenged Sevenfold "Shepherd of Fire"