Leguin stamp

A discussion of the better things in life, including music, the arts, wine, beer, cigars, scotch, gambling the Quatloosian way, travel, sports, and many other topics. [Political and religious discussions and the like should stay off-site.]
Cathulhu
Order of the Quatloos, Brevet First Class

Leguin stamp

Post by Cathulhu »

The post office announced a stamp featuring Ursula K. Leguin today. She was amazing.
Burnaby49
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians

Re: Leguin stamp

Post by Burnaby49 »

Never heard of her so I checked her out in Wikipedia and decided to order one of her books from the library.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

Burnaby49 wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:10 amNever heard of her
Heathen.

Right, Cat?
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
Cathulhu

Post by Cathulhu »

Poor, poor creature. He doesn't know The Left Hand of Darkness or Earthsea or The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas. I still treasure the get-well postcard from her alter ego.
Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to. T. Pratchett
Always be a moving target. L.M. Bujold
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

Left Hand of Darkness is the one I've got on reserve. Wikipedia said it was her best.
Poor, poor creature. He doesn't know The Left Hand of Darkness or Earthsea or The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas.
I prefer to think of it this way. I now have, in the depth of my Covid isolation, a purported masterpiece to look experience for the first time.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

If you can wade through her stuff, you will have hours and hours to while away, she lots of very thick books, kind of like Herbert, although in my opinion much better. I find people are generally of two camps regarding her, either hate her writing or love it, doesn't seem to be much middle ground.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Cathulhu

Post by Cathulhu »

"They seem to know where they are going, those ones who walk away" I get shivers over that line to this day. I never read anything of hers that didn't make me think.

And she and Vonda, who I also am grieving, were both most kind to a young sciffy fan in the 70s and subsequent decades. Good people and they are desperately missed.
Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to. T. Pratchett
Always be a moving target. L.M. Bujold