Texas

A discussion of the better things in life, including music, the arts, wine, beer, cigars, scotch, gambling the Quatloosian way, travel, sports, and many other topics. [Political and religious discussions and the like should stay off-site.]
JamesVincent
A Councilor of the Kabosh

Texas

Post by JamesVincent »

How are you guys in Texas and Central US managing? Have a couple friends near Dallas who messaged saying they've had some power issues the last few days. You guys staying warm?
Disciple of the cross and champion in suffering
Immerse yourself into the kingdom of redemption
Pardon your mind through the chains of the divine
Make way, the shepherd of fire

Avenged Sevenfold "Shepherd of Fire"
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Re: Texas

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

My daughter is in Arlington, west of Dallas. She has power; but she and her boyfriend are under a boil-water order, because the delivery systems are suffering cold-related problems. Fortunately, she is from Massachusetts; so she knows a thing or two about dealing with cold weather.

She also works in the hotel industry; and after the cold, snow, and ice arrived, the Dallas-area hotels were mobbed by people, frozen out of their homes by burst pipes, lack of heat, and more, searching desperately for a place where they might find heat, hot water, and a place where they can eat.

Most of Texas relies on fossil fuels for energy generation; and the cold is interfering with its delivery because of frozen infrastructure.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

I have heard from one of my friends in the FWD metroplex. He was fortunate and did not lose power, although the cold freezing temperatures were another challenge.

Another friend in Hill Country had a more difficult challenge: he came down with COVID three days ago and is currently in ICU in critical condition. For him, the weather is not a priority on his mind. At least this morning, according to his daughter, his oxygen levels have improved.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
rogfulton
Caveat Venditor
Location: No longer behind the satellite dish, second door along - in fact, not even in the same building.

Post by rogfulton »

Here in Austin, we are also under a boil notice. I just submitted a form from the city's website reporting my water is out and asking if the water is turned off in my neighborhood. I haven't heard back yet. I feel lucky I haven't lost power.
"No man is above the law and no man is below it; nor do we ask any man's permission when we require him to obey it. Obedience to the law is demanded as a right; not asked as a favor."
- President Theodore Roosevelt
eric
Trivial Observer of Great War

Post by eric »

Don't worry, Rudy and Erin are ready to tell you what to do:

Actually you guys have my deepest sympathies. Houses not built to handle the cold, local utilities not constructed to handle it, and state-wide systems with problems. I will have to check back, but I remember reading ten years ago a report on the resilience of the Texas power grid and fuel supply such as natural gas in the case of a state wide disaster and it wasn't pleasant.
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

Monday morning, February 15, the temperature outside on our back porch was 16 degrees Fahrenheit. The electric power went off at 5:20 am. The ground was covered with ice and about an inch and a half of snow. The water also went out around the same time.

The power stayed off for over 19 hours, until 12:15 am Tuesday, when it came back on for only a few seconds. The power was restored at 12:30 am.

The power was off again/on again/off again through Tuesday and Wednesday. The power finally came back on and stayed on Wednesday night about 11:30 pm.

Our last night of freezing weather was Friday night/Saturday morning. As of this afternoon (Sunday), there was still a small amount of ice on the ground in our yard.

The "boil water" advisory was lifted by the City of Houston this afternoon, but my water comes from a municipal utility district, and we have been advised to continue NOT drinking the tap water (unless it's boiled for 2 minutes) until some time Monday.

What a nightmare.

EDIT: Our low temperature Tuesday morning was also 16 degrees. This is an almost unheard of temperature in south Texas. In December of 1989, it did get down to 7 degrees. I think the all-time low record for Houston is 5 degrees (at least, since they started keeping track of this sort of thing).

I had snow on my ground from Monday, Feb 15 to Saturday Feb. 20. I am almost 70 years old, and I have never before seen this. I have lived my entire life in south Texas and south Louisiana, except for about 7 months in Oklahoma City.

EDIT #2: It is now shortly after 4:00 pm on Sunday, Feb. 21, and the temperature on my back porch is exactly 70 degrees. A few minutes ago, I saw a girl jogging down the street in shorts and a T-shirt.
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

I am hoping all our TX crew is safe other than slightly chilled. This kind of weather is not fun, even when you are more used to it.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.