Now It Can Be Told

A discussion of the better things in life, including music, the arts, wine, beer, cigars, scotch, gambling the Quatloosian way, travel, sports, and many other topics. [Political and religious discussions and the like should stay off-site.]
fortinbras
Princeps Wooloosia

Re: Now It Can Be Told

Post by fortinbras »

Our prayers go with you for a safe and uneventful tour of duty.
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

I thought I had mentioned this before - but don't see it:

Bring all the right pieces back with you.
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
Mr. Mephistopheles
Faustus Quatlus

Post by Mr. Mephistopheles »

Be safe my friend, and don't forget to check in once in awhile.
bmielke

Post by bmielke »

Doktor Avalanche wrote:T minus five days and counting...

Thank you, everyone.
Keep your head down and be safe.

ETA: You may also want to get a pair of ruby slippers and when in trouble click them three times while saying "There's no place like a carrier battle group, There's no place like a carrier battle group, There's no place like a carrier battle group," ...

Just a thought.
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

We all look forward to your safe and healthy return, Doktor. Please keep in touch, if you can....
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
Doktor Avalanche
Asst Secretary, the Dept of Jesters

Post by Doktor Avalanche »

webhick wrote: You know, there's still time to run naked through the streets with a rabid raccoon on your head. I don't believe the military would be too keen on keeping you when you've got "unexplained" claw marks on your stomach and thighs.
:?

No...I don't think so.
The laissez-faire argument relies on the same tacit appeal to perfection as does communism. - George Soros
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

May you have warm words on a cold evening,
A full moon on a dark night,
And the road downhill on the way back to your door.

- Irish blessing.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
bmielke

Post by bmielke »

Doktor Avalanche wrote:
Dok that's what I am going to miss about you, you always find the strangest pictures, although that is not a raccoon, when you get back you should start building an army of stuffed squirrels in case this ever happens again... Just like the Janitor on Scrubs.
Doktor Avalanche

:shock:

You're one sick puppy, bmielke.
The laissez-faire argument relies on the same tacit appeal to perfection as does communism. - George Soros
gottago
Victim of Incarcerated Criminal

Post by gottago »

Stay low Doktor Avalanche and come back home safe and sound.

Thank you for your service.

Gottago
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

gottago wrote:Stay low Doktor Avalanche and come back home safe and sound.

Thank you for your service.

Gottago
Add a big "hell, YEAH!" to that from me!
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Post by Imalawman »

Take care of yourself and be safe!

Thank you.
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

The Illuminati appreciates your service. So, kick ass, take names, and come back with additional installed appendages. Your wife wants to be able to tell everyone that you're "all hands."
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
Doktor Avalanche

It's Over Before It Began

Well, there I was on active duty with all my requirements out of the way and everything was looking green across the board until...

I got the results of my cholesterol count back today - 289, which means with less than two hours before I was scheduled to get on a plane to begin training for the mission the Navy says I'm not physically qualified for mobilization.

They pulled my orders back. I'm not going now and it's doubtful I'll be eligible to go later.

I really don't know how to feel about this right now. For the last three months I've been in a meat grinder over this deployment, the least of which is the level of stress it has put my friends and family under.

I wonder what happened to the good ol' days if you were breathing and had all your shots you were deployable.
fortinbras
Princeps Wooloosia

Post by fortinbras »

You sound unhappy that you're not going. Hell, I bet the news of your disqualification will inspire scores of soldiers to eat a dozen eggs a day and cook everything in pure lard.

WE are glad that you're not going.
Prof
El Pontificator de Porceline Precepts

Post by Prof »

Fortinbras is correct; we're glad you are not going. Good luch with the statins, by the way.
"My Health is Better in November."
bmielke

Post by bmielke »

Hey Dok, bad news about the cholestorol, but at least you are safe, and we get to have you around.
Mr. Mephistopheles
Faustus Quatlus

Re: It's Over Before It Began

Post by Mr. Mephistopheles »

Doktor Avalanche wrote:... I wonder what happened to the good ol' days if you were breathing and had all your shots you were deployable.
Don't forget "flat feet". :wink:

Glad to hear you're not going to be deployed, but that's gotta be some emotional rollercoaster. I'm sure Mrs. A is happy too, for the obvious reason that you won't be in a war zone, but she won't be having her daughter and husband thousands of miles away.
Doktor Avalanche

Mr. Mephistopheles wrote: Glad to hear you're not going to be deployed, but that's gotta be some emotional rollercoaster. I'm sure Mrs. A is happy too, for the obvious reason that you won't be in a war zone, but she won't be having her daughter and husband thousands of miles away.
Actually, Mrs. A is quite upset about it. She was looking forward to all the benefits I was supposed to get when I got home.

I think what she's most upset about is the timing. You see, I got laid off last month when they decided outsource my department - so now I gotta find a new gig. It wouldn't have been a problem if I was deployed - I'd have gainful employment, at least for 15 months.

Now...well, now I gotta scramble and get a job. Shouldn't be too hard, and if need be I can always fall back on hospital security as my card and my hospital cred is good for another year or so.

And you're right, it is an emotional rollercoaster. I've been getting my ass hammered for three months over this deployment, mentally preparing myself for the worst that god-awful place could throw at me and now...now they tell me I'm not going.

I'm drained, M. Right now I am mentally, physically and emotionally exhausted.
Doktor Avalanche

CaptainKickback wrote:
See, didn't cousin Eddie tell you to give up eatin' squirrels like he did, 'cause he found out they were high in cholesterol?
He did and that's why I switched up to possum.

Possum - the other OTHER white meat.