Back From the Carolinas

A discussion of the better things in life, including music, the arts, wine, beer, cigars, scotch, gambling the Quatloosian way, travel, sports, and many other topics. [Political and religious discussions and the like should stay off-site.]
Nikki

Back From the Carolinas

Post by Nikki »

A bit late but:

Well, we toured through both NC and SC, looking at possible retirement homes.

It's mind-boggling how many "active adult" communities there are in just those two states.

To make a long and arduous story short, this poor slave to the oppressive government is (or will be in October) the proud co-owner of a 3 BR (one in the loft) + office + great room + 3 1/2 bath + sun room + 2-1/2 car garage home plus almost every possible option and upgrade (except for the fire place and tray ceilings) in Sun City Hilton Head.

It's really tough being a slave to the system to the point that I can only own $1,200,000 worth of real estate in two separate homes.

It's a real shame that I'm going to have to actually work for two more years (perhaps one) until I can retire, sell the home in the North, and move away from winters, lawn work, and house maintenance. Not that the climate there's perfect. Some of the residents told me that there were actually a couple of weeks this past winter when they could only play golf three days in a week.

I wish I could have done better, but I guess that I'm just not as succsssful as David Merrill with his $20,000,000 coming in any day now or as the NESARAns anxiously awaiting their packies or even as Pete family:BlowHard.

Additional details will be available at the Pirate Party, depending on how many ounces of corn squeezings people pour into me.
Cathulhu
Order of the Quatloos, Brevet First Class

Re: Back From the Carolinas

Post by Cathulhu »

Congratulations and hosannas! I retired from serving our shapeshifting alien masters two years ago, and it's paradise. Now if I could get back into comedy writing, which I always intended to go back to after making my pile; part of doing what you like to do.

There's something very soul-satisfying to tossing out the alarm clocks. Ok, I recycled them. Much like when I took a pair of aluminum crutches I was heartily sick of to the recycling center and asked them to please make beer cans out of them.
Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to. T. Pratchett
Always be a moving target. L.M. Bujold
Thule
Tragedian of Sovereign Mythology

Post by Thule »

Cathulhu wrote:Congratulations and hosannas! I retired from serving our shapeshifting alien masters two years ago, and it's paradise.
I have many years left before the masters will grant me such a boon. Actually checked my retirement plan today. Should I choose to retire this year, I will be "Recycled for parts".
Survivor of the Dark Agenda Whistleblower Award, August 2012.
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Post by Demosthenes »

In my mom's Sun City home, the half car garage is for the golf cart.
Demo.
Nikki

Post by Nikki »

The golf cart will share the 1/2 car space with the table saw, workbench, etc.

Also, I was sternly corrected recently. The proper term is "golf car." One drags a cart, but rides in a car.
Mr. Mephistopheles
Faustus Quatlus

Post by Mr. Mephistopheles »

Nikki wrote:The golf cart will share the 1/2 car space with the table saw, workbench, etc.

Also, I was sternly corrected recently. The proper term is "golf car." One drags a cart, but rides in a car.
With or without A/C on the golf car?
Nikki

Post by Nikki »

Without. But with radio and mini-refrigerator.
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

Retirement is an out-dated concept.
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
Mr. Mephistopheles
Faustus Quatlus

Post by Mr. Mephistopheles »

Nikki wrote:Without. But with radio and mini-refrigerator.
Lack of A/C is fine as long you have the mini-fridge. Be sure to watch out for crashing airplanes when you're down on the beach.
Prof
El Pontificator de Porceline Precepts

Post by Prof »

Welcome to SC. As I have pointed out before, "South Carolina, too small for a country, too large for an asylum."
"My Health is Better in November."