"Canadian" Pharmacies

A discussion of the better things in life, including music, the arts, wine, beer, cigars, scotch, gambling the Quatloosian way, travel, sports, and many other topics. [Political and religious discussions and the like should stay off-site.]
Green Lantern

"Canadian" Pharmacies

Post by Green Lantern »

Well---claiming a Canadian address at least.

What is the status on Americans being able to order drugs from Canada these days? There are sites like this: http://pillsmedsdrugstoredirect.net/pages/how-to-order/ stating, inter alia, that one doesn't even need a prescription to order drugs. My uncle sent me the link and says he gets his drugs there, asks if it's OK. I need to take allopurinol, but don't want any problems w/feds or phony drugs either.

Sorry---I know this probably doesn't fit in "the good life" (maybe just better life?). :thinking:
fortinbras
Princeps Wooloosia

Re: "Canadian" Pharmacies

Post by fortinbras »

Before my retirement insurance program kicked in with its discount meds by mail, I was getting my meds from a Canadian pharmacy. Excellent service, very good prices, and if I had any questions there was a toll-free number to Winnepeg with a very helpful young lady (such a nice country, wish I had learned the language). Now, the service I dealt with did want to see the prescriptions and didn't deal with anything that wasn't genuine medicine; consider any variance from that a warning sign.

One thing to remember (contrary to some of the ignorant accusations being made at the time), the medicines are almost invariably manufactured in the United States, shipped to Canada already bottled and sealed, and the Canadian pharmacy simply ships the individual bottles back - at Canadian socialized medicine prices (no, I don't understand how they get them cheaper) - the pills having never been touched by non-US personnel.
Doktor Avalanche
Asst Secretary, the Dept of Jesters

Post by Doktor Avalanche »

Wouldn't it be nice if you could get those drugs here at Canadian prices?

Just sayin...
The laissez-faire argument relies on the same tacit appeal to perfection as does communism. - George Soros
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

Doktor Avalanche wrote:Wouldn't it be nice if you could get those drugs here at Canadian prices?

Just sayin...

Canada requires drug companies to sell them to their pharmacies at incremental cost plus a per pill profit (measured in cents), so they don't contribute anything towards development of the drug you're taking, much less anything towards new research. It's a great system if you have a cure for everything already figured out and don't ever need to make new drugs or implrove any existing ones. It would serve them right if the US drug companies quit selling to them, but as it is, the costs just get passed on to US patients adding yet another reason why our health care costs are higher...
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

...but as it is, the costs just get passed on to US patients adding yet another reason why our health care costs are higher...
Exactly. This is one of those little-known facts that never enter into the discussion of national health care. Proponents who condemn our system and keep asking why can't we have a system like Canada's don't realize that we have been subsidizing Canadian's prescriptions. And US pharmaceuticals are never going to turn down an opportunity to sell more drugs to Canada, because even a little bit of money from Canada still means a profit for them.

What should happen is a tarriff levied on exported pharmaceuticals from the US. Wonder how long it would take before Canadians started badmouthing their healthcare?
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

The Observer wrote:
...but as it is, the costs just get passed on to US patients adding yet another reason why our health care costs are higher...
Exactly. This is one of those little-known facts that never enter into the discussion of national health care. Proponents who condemn our system and keep asking why can't we have a system like Canada's don't realize that we have been subsidizing Canadian's prescriptions. And US pharmaceuticals are never going to turn down an opportunity to sell more drugs to Canada, because even a little bit of money from Canada still means a profit for them.

What should happen is a tarriff levied on exported pharmaceuticals from the US. Wonder how long it would take before Canadians started badmouthing their healthcare?

And I thought i was gonna get hammered for saying that. Canada's policy on this is not a whole lot different than extortion. And yeah, maybe we need a policy charging a recovery fee on drugs exported that have been developed using government funds (that about covers all of them, BTW)
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.