Indonesia

A discussion of the better things in life, including music, the arts, wine, beer, cigars, scotch, gambling the Quatloosian way, travel, sports, and many other topics. [Political and religious discussions and the like should stay off-site.]
Doktor Avalanche
Asst Secretary, the Dept of Jesters

Indonesia

Post by Doktor Avalanche »

I'm headed to Indonesia Monday. I'll be back on May 2.
The laissez-faire argument relies on the same tacit appeal to perfection as does communism. - George Soros
Mr. Mephistopheles
Faustus Quatlus

Re: Indonesia

Post by Mr. Mephistopheles »

Have a good trip!
Cathulhu
Order of the Quatloos, Brevet First Class

Post by Cathulhu »

Hey, it's a short trip at least. But always be a moving target, ok?
Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to. T. Pratchett
Always be a moving target. L.M. Bujold
Doktor Avalanche

Mr. Mephistopheles wrote:Have a good trip!
Thank you, I shall.
Cathulhu wrote:Hey, it's a short trip at least. But always be a moving target, ok?
I'll be ok, Cathulhu. Thank you.
The laissez-faire argument relies on the same tacit appeal to perfection as does communism. - George Soros
Doktor Avalanche

Greetings from Singapore - specifically, Changi Airport.

The rumors are true: Singaporean food rocks.

I'm just sitting here waiting for my next flight which will be onward to Jakarta. It leaves in four hours.
Doktor Avalanche

CaptainKickback wrote:
Doktor Avalanche wrote:I'm just sitting here waiting for my next flight which will be onward to Jakarta. It leaves in four hours.
Time enough to hit a boom-boom room for some short-time. :twisted:
After a 19 hour flight the only thing I hit is a serious bottle of booze and a nap. :wink:

Anyway, greets from Indonesia - I have, at last, arrived.

First let me start off by saying this as often and as loudly as possible:

Jakarta sucks.

I'm not talking about any two-bit suckiness here, folks. Oh no, this is major Hooverism with a capital S. So much so that a 19 hour bus ride to my eventual destination was preferable to staying one more minute in that city.

The city of Jakarta has about 10 million people in it, all of whom seem to want to drive down its streets all at the same time on any given day - driving in this town is nigh impossible if not just downright suicidal.

Walking across the street here is quite hazardous to your health.

I've just been informed that Jakarta's nickname is "The Big Durian", much like New York is often referred to as "The Big Apple". I find this nickname for Jakarta to be quite appropriate.

Case in point:

This, ladies and gentlemen, is a durian fruit. Yes, this fruit is butt ugly but what's more it also smells like rancid petroleum. I know petroleum doesn't exactly go rancid but if it did it would smell very much like a durian fruit.

I'm glad to have put that city behind me. Now to the matter at hand:

I'm currently in the sleepy little hamlet of Sragen. The weather is hot and humid but the scenery is lovely, the people are very nice, the food is excellent (put down two bowls of bakso this afternoon) and the pace is very slow.

In other words, it's not Jakarta.

Just letting everyone know I'm alive and doing well. I shall, in the fullness of time, divine the reason as to why I am in Indonesia.

To make this interesting, I suggest you all get a pool going as to what my announcement is going to be. :whistle:
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

Bringing the news of NESARA to the Indonesians?
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
Cathulhu
Order of the Quatloos, Brevet First Class

Post by Cathulhu »

Something to do with the job "that can't be that important"?
Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to. T. Pratchett
Always be a moving target. L.M. Bujold
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Post by Demosthenes »

I'll put 25 Quatloos on a wedding.
Demo.
Green Lantern

Post by Green Lantern »

Demosthenes wrote:I'll put 25 Quatloos on a wedding.
I, too. Neither love of money nor country could explain this strange journey. But a woman? Yes, yes.
Doktor Avalanche

Demosthenes wrote:I'll put 25 Quatloos on a wedding.
That's only because you have a distinctly unfair advantage over the rest of Quatloos - you have access to my Facebook page. :lol:

Oh, hell...well, I was gonna save this but since Demo decided to throw salt in my game I may as well spill it - yes, I am getting married to a very lovely woman here in Indonesia whom I have been seeing for the last year since my divorce was finalized.

I have a whole discussion thread on marrying in this country should any of you, or anyone you know decide they'd like to get married in Bali. The process is quite enlightening and not for the faint of heart.
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

That's great. Mazel tov.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

Congratulations!!
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

Congratulations, Doc!

Have you told your bride-to-be about the odd company that you keep on a certain anti-fraud/anti-scam web site?
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
texino
Grand Debunker of Medical Quackery

Post by texino »

Best of luck and happiness. ( Also, please don't take part in any hi jinks punishable by caning.)
ҨTexino₪
Siga el dinero
El camino continúa por siempre, pero el partido nunca termina
texino@gmail.com
Doktor Avalanche

texino wrote:Best of luck and happiness. ( Also, please don't take part in any hi jinks punishable by caning.)
How dare they threaten me with a good time. :twisted:
Pottapaug1938 wrote:Congratulations, Doc!

Have you told your bride-to-be about the odd company that you keep on a certain anti-fraud/anti-scam web site?
Yes, she knows all about Quatloos - she's also familiar with the bullsh*t that is MLM.
CaptainKickback wrote: I was close with mail order bride. It was not that difficult to puzzle out. Exotic locale, plus sailor boy, equals marriage. It is an ancient tradition.

Don't forget the pre-nup.

And yes, congratulations on the impending nuptials.
Yeah, you were pretty close Skipper.

I gotta tell you - as exotic locations go, Indonesia does not disappoint; even if it is fiercely Islamic.

Way ahead of you on the pre-nup. I already got rooked once in a divorce, I'm not doing that again.
notorial dissent wrote:Congratulations!!
wserra wrote:That's great. Mazel tov.
Thanks guys. Pictures will be posted shortly.
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Post by Imalawman »

Congrats!!
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown
Doktor Avalanche

Here's something cool for y'all:

The (impending) Mrs. Avalanche took me to a village today where her aunt and uncle live and work a large tract of land growing rice, corn, peanuts, papayas, what have you and as I walking around the village I noticed something that I've been noticing ever since I got here and finally got up the gumption to ask:

I've noticed that when walking around this part of Java people tend to stare at me with the same amount of trepidation, hesitation and curiosity one might have if seeing for the first time an intelligent alien step out of a UFO.

So I asked:

"Do you get any buleh (white men) around here?"

The answer - no. In fact, her uncle went on to tell me that in all the years (centuries?) the village has been there I am, in fact, the first white man they have ever encountered.

You read it right, folks: I was the first white man to set foot in that village - ever.

Cool, huh?
Imalawman wrote:Congrats!!
Thank you, sir!
Mr. Mephistopheles
Faustus Quatlus

Post by Mr. Mephistopheles »

Congratulations Dok! I have a good friend who visited a Pacific Island where no white people had been for several decades. He's rather tall, white pale, and very hairy, even by white standards. Given this stark difference in appearance from the native residents, he was quite a novelty for the children who liked to come up and feel the hair on his arms.

It sounds like you're having a fine adventure!
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

Congrats, Dok!
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie