Philly

A discussion of the better things in life, including music, the arts, wine, beer, cigars, scotch, gambling the Quatloosian way, travel, sports, and many other topics. [Political and religious discussions and the like should stay off-site.]
jcolvin2
Grand Master Consul of Quatloosia

Philly

Post by jcolvin2 »

After a week of college touring with my 16 year old daughter in New England, Montreal, and NYC, I have ended up in Philly. My flight leaves early Sunday morning. Any suggestions for how to amuse myself (and said daughter) for the next 36 hours? My hotel is in the Rittenhouse Square area.
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Re: Philly

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

I can't help much about Philly; but being a New Englander, and having spent a lot of time in Montreal, I'm wondering which schools your daughter is considering....
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
Kestrel
Endangerer of Stupid Species

Post by Kestrel »

Independence National Historic Park comes to mind. Take her to see Independence Hall, the Liberty Bell, and the originals (I think) of the Declaration and the US Constitution.

http://www.nps.gov/inde/index.htm

Edit: My bad. The original documents are in Washington DC now, but you'll find plenty of history about them in the buildings where they were drafted. And one of the surviving original copies of the Declaration is at INHP.
Last edited by Kestrel on Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." - Robert Heinlein
Parvati
Demigoddess of Volatile Benevolence

Post by Parvati »

Definitely visit the Mutter Museum.

http://www.collphyphil.org/site/mutter_museum.html

South Street is a nice walk from your area, and 16 is the perfect age to appreciate the ambiance (and the shopping). Mineralistic is worth a look-in.
"The risk in becoming very intimate with a moldie Parvati is that she may unexpectedly become a Kali and take your head."--Rudy Rucker, Freeware
“Most men would kill the truth if truth would kill their religion.”--Lemuel K. Washburn.
jcolvin2
Grand Master Consul of Quatloosia

Post by jcolvin2 »

Pottapaug1938 wrote:I can't help much about Philly; but being a New Englander, and having spent a lot of time in Montreal, I'm wondering which schools your daughter is considering....
Boston: Boston University, Boston College, Tufts
Providence: Brown
Burlington: UVM
Montreal: McGill
NYC: Columbia, NYU
Philadephia: UPenn, Swarthmore, Haverford

So far, my daughter favors BC and Tufts, both of which exceeded expectations
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

jcolvin2 wrote:
Pottapaug1938 wrote:I can't help much about Philly; but being a New Englander, and having spent a lot of time in Montreal, I'm wondering which schools your daughter is considering....
Boston: Boston University, Boston College, Tufts
Providence: Brown
Burlington: UVM
Montreal: McGill
NYC: Columbia, NYU
Philadephia: UPenn, Swarthmore, Haverford

So far, my daughter favors BC and Tufts, both of which exceeded expectations
I was born and raised in Newton, so I know the BC area well. Good school, good area.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Post by Imalawman »

I was going to offer my suggestions, but realized they all involved alcohol and/or fine dining. Philly is a fun town, but perhaps not my favorite US City. Spent the first 6 years of my life there, so it always feels a little bit like home to me.

The only non-obvious thing I would suggest is to go to the Philly zoo - it's great. It would be a really fun time. Otherwise, try to do all the historical stuff you can, it's all fun.
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown