Boston to Austin

A discussion of the better things in life, including music, the arts, wine, beer, cigars, scotch, gambling the Quatloosian way, travel, sports, and many other topics. [Political and religious discussions and the like should stay off-site.]
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Boston to Austin

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

File under "Preliminary Planning"....

In November of 2012, to celebrate my 60th birthday, my wife and I want to take a two-week road trip down to Austin, Texas to see an old girlfriend (and longtime good friend of both of us) who lives there with her husband. Our route will probably take us through New York to Washington; and from there we may go through Kentucky, Tennessee, northern Alabama and Mississippi, Arkansas, and Louisiana before we reach Dallas and head south for the run down to Austin. The trip is obviously a long way away, and our route is uncertain; but we would appreciate suggestions from anyone as to 1) the route to take and 2) what we should try to see along the way.

In June of 2013, I return the favor by taking my wife up to Quebec City, and then either to Montreal and points north or to the Gaspé Peninsula, depending on our mood....
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
Prof
El Pontificator de Porceline Precepts

Re: Boston to Austin

Post by Prof »

The shortest and perhaps interesting route is to Richmond on 95, Richmond thru Atlanta to I-65 and then on I-65 to Mobile, I-10 to Houston, either over to Austin from Houston US 290 (IIRC) or to San Antonio and North on I-35 to Austin. I would recommend that route because it goes thru New Orleans if you wish and thru Baton Rouge and San Antonio, if you wish.

Avoid going to Dallas if you can; I-35 from Dallas to Austin is like I-95 from New York to DC.

I do not recommend taking 40 across Tennessee. Boring. If you want to take 20 out of Atlanta, you can get off on US 78 and cut across N. Alabama and Miss to either Memphis of cut off and go thru Oxford (U. of MIss.) 78 is a pretty good road and goes thru interesting places. From Memphis or Oxford west, consider the Natchez Trace South and then cut off on 20 across the Miss. at Vicksburg and on to Shreveport toward Dallas,but cut across Texas east of Dallas, at Tyler, on Route 79 (IIRC) to Austin.

I've taken all of these routes and can recommend as the best, most direct, the Richmond to Atlanta to Birmingham to Mobile to Houston to San Antonio or Austin as the best/quickest and reasonably scenic.

There is really nothing to see on 95 south of Richmond, IMHO, until you get to Florida and can go over to US 1.

I-40 does go thru Knoxville, Nashville, Memphis & Little Rock, but is otherwise very boring.

If you don't want to live on 95, cut over to Allentown or Harrisburg and go South to Bristol Tenn thru the Shenandoa (SP?) valley. Great drive most of the way, but at Bristol, you have to decide which way to continue West on one way is I-40.
"My Health is Better in November."
Kestrel
Endangerer of Stupid Species

Post by Kestrel »

I drove from Pittsburgh to San Antonio one year.

First highlight stop along the way was the National Museum of the Air Force at Wright Patterson Air Force Base near Dayton, Ohio. The place is huge. The exhibits there rival the Smithsonian IMO.

Second highlight stop was Mammoth Cave National Park, Kentucky. The Mammoth cave network is officially documented as the longest cave network in the world. On tour you can see an enormous underground river, native American artifacts, and preserved 19th century historical structures built inside the giagantic caverooms. You will also see some of the most beautiful cave formations in the world outside of Shenendoah Valley, VA. (BTW, do plan to drive through Shenendoah Valley on your way. The Blue Ridge Mountain scenery above ground is gorgeous, and the underground caverns are not to be missed. Luray Cavern is home to the Great Stalac-pipe Organ.)

Third highlight stop was Hot Springs National Park, Arkansas, the nation's first national recreation area. Hike the hillside and dip your toes into natural hot springs that are so warm, even in winter, that you have to slowly ease your toes into the pool. Or take a spa treatment and relax in a natural hot bath on Bathhouse Row.

Just down the road, only a few miles from Hot Springs, is Crater of Diamonds State Park. The site is the top of an ancient volcano. Soil gets tilled there on a frequent basis exposing genuine diamonds, and whatever you find you keep. Most diamonds discovered are about 25 points, but every few years some lucky soul finds a really big one.

Happy planning and safe trip.
"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." - Robert Heinlein
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

I would avoid the Dallas-Austin route at all costs.

Also, Texas has a habit of closing off long stretches of highway for no apparent reason other than to store barricades; as your travel date approaches, make yourself aware of where that game is being played. :roll:
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
Nikki

Post by Nikki »

Interstate 95 between New York and Richmond (including the New Jersey Turnpike option) is an excellent route to avoid.

On weekends (which start Friday evening and through Monday morning) -- especially holidays backups can exceed 10 miles at several locations. Also it is SERIOUSLY boring.

Interstates 78, 81, and 75 (will end up in Chattanooga) are a longer, but more scenic and less-travelled alternative.

Another tip -- check when hunting season starts along your route. 1st day of the season also loads up the roads.
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

Nikki wrote:Interstate 95 between New York and Richmond (including the New Jersey Turnpike option) is an excellent route to avoid.
At all costs. And extend that north to Boston.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
Pottapaug1938

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

wserra wrote:
Nikki wrote:Interstate 95 between New York and Richmond (including the New Jersey Turnpike option) is an excellent route to avoid.
At all costs. And extend that north to Boston.
Unfortunately, since Boston is my starting point, I have a choice between taking it, or taking
I-90 (a toll road) to I-84. No other road gets me in the direction I want to go without sacrificing speed and time due to stop lights or (like with the Wilbur Cross and Merritt Parkways) speed. I may well use I-287 and the Garden State Parkway (yes, a toll road; but my wife was raised in Bergen County and her parents are buried there, and we will probably visit the graves at some point) to bypass New York, if our chosen route takes along I-78.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
wserra

Post by wserra »

Pottapaug1938 wrote:taking I-90 (a toll road) to I-84 ... to I-287 and the Garden State Parkway
Yep, that's the route.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
rogfulton
Caveat Venditor
Location: No longer behind the satellite dish, second door along - in fact, not even in the same building.

Post by rogfulton »

US 79 will get you into Round Rock, just north of Austin and is a reasonably scenic trip. US 290 from Houston to Austin brings you in the north side of Austin. Both intersect with Toll 130 which is a nearly empty alternative to 35 if you are headed to points farther south once you get here.

If you are heading south of the Colorado, consider staying on 10 to Columbus and taking Texas 71. The traffic is relatively light for most of the trip to Austin, building up as you approach Bastrop (worth the time to investigate) but is divided two lanes both directions (usually 65-70 speed limit, traffic flow 75-80). Bonus is driving through Lost Pines. Once you are past the airport, there is a bit of congestion for about two miles but after that, the freeway starts and traffic clears up substantially.

That's the route we take to my mother-in-law's house in Fort Bend County, just south of Houston. It typically takes about 2 1/2 hours for the 145 mile trip, about a third of which is two lane blacktop.

Do your best to avoid 35. If you do decide to come through San Antonio, take 281 North, then 290 E into southwest Austin. It's farther but much quicker, and considerably less congested. And Loop 1 is adequate for north-south commuting.
"No man is above the law and no man is below it; nor do we ask any man's permission when we require him to obey it. Obedience to the law is demanded as a right; not asked as a favor."
- President Theodore Roosevelt
Pottapaug1938

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

Pottapaug1938 wrote:Interstate 95 between New York and Richmond (including the New Jersey Turnpike option) is an excellent route to avoid.
At all costs. And extend that north to Boston.[/quote]

Unfortunately, since Boston is my starting point, I have a choice between taking it, or taking
I-90 (a toll road) to I-84. No other road gets me in the direction I want to go without sacrificing speed and time due to stop lights or (like with the Wilbur Cross and Merritt Parkways) speed. I may well use I-287 and the Garden State Parkway (yes, a toll road; but my wife was raised in Bergen County and her parents are buried there, and we will probably visit the graves at some point) to bypass New York, if our chosen route takes along I-78.[/quote]

We also want to stop in Washington, D.C., if only for a day, because I want to visit the house where my father was born and raised, and visit the graves of my aunt, grandmother and several other relatives. Depending on how much time we spend elsewhere on the trip, we may squeeze in a second day there. That may well mean that we'll stop in on the way back....
Pottapaug1938

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

CaptainKickback wrote:Wild thought, check the route you are going to take and see if there is a really wild, over the top, super-boss truck stop you can check out.

Is there time for Dollywood?
That depends on how much time we spend in Austin, and elsewhere; but if our route happens to take us into that neighborhood, we can certainly give it some thought. As for the truck stops, Jakki and I do like to check them out if we are on the road and one is available.
Nikki

Post by Nikki »

Washington, DC, for a day.

If at all possible, do it on a weekend. You'll still have to contend with tourists, but otherwise, the city shuts down.

If you're actually going INTO the city, I recommend any suburban motel near a Metro station (or with shuttle service to one) and using the train. Washington is probably second only to Boston in terms of confusing streets plus parking is at a premium even on weekends. However, Metro is doing loads of maintenance on the weekends, shutting down parts of lines and delaying others. Check out WMATA.com for status.

If at all possible, drive toward Washington using Interstate 66. If you come in via I-95 (especially from the South) you will be forced to take the infamous Beltway (so named because Hell was already taken). In the Washington area, tune the radio to WTOP -- 103.5 FM -- to get traffic updates every 10 minutes.

Finally, if you're using a GPS, get a map update before you leave. They keep moving roads around down here.
Pottapaug1938

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

Nikki wrote:Washington, DC, for a day.

If at all possible, do it on a weekend. You'll still have to contend with tourists, but otherwise, the city shuts down.

If you're actually going INTO the city, I recommend any suburban motel near a Metro station (or with shuttle service to one) and using the train. Washington is probably second only to Boston in terms of confusing streets plus parking is at a premium even on weekends. However, Metro is doing loads of maintenance on the weekends, shutting down parts of lines and delaying others. Check out WMATA.com for status.

If at all possible, drive toward Washington using Interstate 66. If you come in via I-95 (especially from the South) you will be forced to take the infamous Beltway (so named because Hell was already taken). In the Washington area, tune the radio to WTOP -- 103.5 FM -- to get traffic updates every 10 minutes.

Finally, if you're using a GPS, get a map update before you leave. They keep moving roads around down here.
Back in (I believe) 1999, my family and I were returning from a week in Williamsburg, and we decided t drive through downtown Washington before resuming our trip. All went well until I got cut off by an SUV near the Lincoln Memorial and I abandoned my plan to head north through the city. Instead, I tool the GW Parkway to I-495. BIG MISTAKE. We spent much too much time in Beltway Hell before breaking loose at I-95.
Kestrel
Endangerer of Stupid Species

Post by Kestrel »

Saw this: Mammoth Cave tours reveal subterranean wonders

Thought about you and your trip plans. I really do recommend stopping here for a few hours if you can. It's a great place to stretch your legs and shake off travel fatigue.
"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." - Robert Heinlein
Pottapaug1938

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

Latest update....

My wife and I will leave very early on the morning of Saturday, November 3 (if we don't leave after work, on the 2nd, and get about two hours' driving under our belt). We'll bypass all of the cities, and belly up in western Virginia. From there, we head along the western part of the state, and then go through Tennessee, end to end, with Memhis and Nashville the only likely stops. From there, we go to Dallas, mainly because I want to see the Scouting Museum in Irving. Then, on the 7th (my birthday), we take a short drive to Austin.

We'll have 3 or 4 days in and around Austin; and then we head for home, planning to arrive on the Saturday, the 17th. We're not sure if we want to head there via the southern route (LA, MA, AL, GA, SC, NC, VA ) or the northern route (AR, TN, KY, WV); but we do want to stop in D.C. to see a few sights (historical and family). Then, it's homeward bound, with a stopover in northeastern NJ so that my wife can visit her parents'graves and her old neighborhood.

Does anyone have any up-to-date suggestions?
Pottapaug1938

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

I should also add that, after my wife and I retire in a few years, we plan to take a slower and much more interesting version of this drive, plus amny other drives to many other destinations. This drive is sort of a dress rehearsal for those, with the burden of limited time keeping us (unfortunately) on the Interstates for much of the time.
Prof
El Pontificator de Porceline Precepts

Post by Prof »

If you're going to be in Austin that long, you should ride down to San Antonio and see the Alamo. It's a short drive (75 miles) but -- as your Austin contacts will tell you -- the traffic in and out of Austing on I-35 can be miserable. Still, that close, you should see the Alamo, and, if time allows, the Mission Trail. Mission San Jose has been restored to the mission/fort/village of Indian converts that it originally was, and is an excellent introduction to the world of the Colonial Spanish.

If I have the time, I'll be happy to act as a tour guide.

As to the trip back, when I used to go regularly to see family, I always went the Southern Route -- I-10 to Alabama, North to Atlanta; I-85 to I-95 in Richmond. It is shorter, and, except for Houston and Atlanta, the traffic is light until the merger w/I-95.
"My Health is Better in November."
Pottapaug1938

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

Pottapaug1938 wrote:I should also add that, after my wife and I retire in a few years, we plan to take a slower and much more interesting version of this drive, plus many other drives to many other destinations. This drive is sort of a dress rehearsal for those, with the burden of limited time keeping us (unfortunately) on the Interstates for much of the time.
Cathulhu
Order of the Quatloos, Brevet First Class

Post by Cathulhu »

Sorry, I went a different direction this year and have just returned from touring Alaska.

Wearing my great new "I can see Russia from my room!" t-shirt.
Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to. T. Pratchett
Always be a moving target. L.M. Bujold
Burnaby49
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians

Post by Burnaby49 »

Cathulhu wrote:Sorry, I went a different direction this year and have just returned from touring Alaska.

Wearing my great new "I can see Russia from my room!" t-shirt.
Seattle cruise? Or from Vancouver?
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs