Boston to Austin

A discussion of the better things in life, including music, the arts, wine, beer, cigars, scotch, gambling the Quatloosian way, travel, sports, and many other topics. [Political and religious discussions and the like should stay off-site.]
Cathulhu
Order of the Quatloos, Brevet First Class

Re: Boston to Austin

Post by Cathulhu »

Burnaby49 wrote:
Cathulhu wrote:Sorry, I went a different direction this year and have just returned from touring Alaska.

Wearing my great new "I can see Russia from my room!" t-shirt.
Seattle cruise? Or from Vancouver?
Neither. Put together a custom trip to get background for YA novel I've been stuck on. I lost my baby sister last year to cancer, three days before our shared birthday. The only way I could make her immortal was to make her the main protagonist for a book, and she did live to see the first four chapters.

But I could tell I was going wrong, and google earth, while helpful, could only take me so far. So I booked a trip touring the areas I needed for the book, and incidentally had a wonderful time as well. I was supposed to travel with a companion due to my disabilities, and said companion ended up in the hospital with emergency surgery. (I drove her to the hospital, so who's the gimp now?!?) I've picked up a lot of background, seen moose and bear and caribou and learned a great deal about them, and now I'll probably not be commenting too much because I'm locking myself up in Rewrite Hell with the cats for the next month. The spouse is running interference to let me have the time to concentrate.

This one's important to me.

edit to add p.s. If you ever travel the railroad between Anchorage and Fairbanks, it is totally worth it to go with the gold star (first class) service.
Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to. T. Pratchett
Always be a moving target. L.M. Bujold
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Re: Boston to Austin

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

Shoving off for Austin in less than an hour....
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools