The Good Life in Des Moines

A discussion of the better things in life, including music, the arts, wine, beer, cigars, scotch, gambling the Quatloosian way, travel, sports, and many other topics. [Political and religious discussions and the like should stay off-site.]
Brandybuck

The Good Life in Des Moines

Post by Brandybuck »

Work will be sending me to Iowa soon, Two weeks onsite, two weeks back home, rinse, lather and repeat for several months. I know the old jokes about the lack of culture in the corn belt, but having been raised in a heavily agricultural area, I suspect there's an element of truth there.

So what is there to do in Des Moines or the surrounding area? Anyone have any idea what to see or do on the weekends? Any decent museums, historical sites, sightseeing, etc?
rogfulton
Caveat Venditor
Location: No longer behind the satellite dish, second door along - in fact, not even in the same building.

Re: The Good Life in Des Moines

Post by rogfulton »

It's been a few years since my wife (native Texan) and I went, but the Capitol tour should be well worth the effort.

Most counties have museums of local interest that can give you a feel for the area if you want to get out of Des Moines. As an example, the Wayne County museum in Corydon is about a 2 hour drive south of Des Moines and has a large section devoted to the Mormon Migration as well as an electric car that was developed there in the early '60s.

If you will be there in the spring, Pella (in Marion County) has a spring tulip festival. it's about 1-1/2 hours southeast of Des Moines. Knoxville, the county seat in Marion County, is home to the National Sprint Car Hall of Fame & Museum. The link to the Wikipedia page is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_S ... %26_Museum.
"No man is above the law and no man is below it; nor do we ask any man's permission when we require him to obey it. Obedience to the law is demanded as a right; not asked as a favor."
- President Theodore Roosevelt
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Post by Imalawman »

Uh...you should REALLY PM me. I happen to know Des Moines rather well. It's a really surprisingly fun town - great restaurants, lively downtown living, and great music. Perhaps, not a tourist destination, but it's really fun. In case you don't PM me, here's some fun things to do:

1. Restaurants - Splash!, Baru 66, Court Ave brewing, Lucca, Alba, 801 Chophouse just to name a few.

2. Music - Blues on Grand (well, it just changed names, but its a cool blues venue), Brickhouse, various outdoor festivals, Court Ave (weekend evenings)

3. Arts - The Civic Center always has a lot of great broadway shows come through, comedic events; the convention center usually has something going on, the Des Moines Art Center is a pretty good small city venue.

4. Sports - There's the Iowa Cubs, Barnstormers (arena football), Iowa energy (minor league NBA), the minor league soccer is a must miss.

Well, that's a start.
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown
Kestrel
Endangerer of Stupid Species

Post by Kestrel »

Imalawman wrote:4. Sports - There's the Iowa Cubs, Barnstormers (arena football), Iowa energy (minor league NBA), the minor league soccer is a must miss.
Why does everyone keep omitting the hockey teams? I've had more fun at minor league hockey games than at any arena football or basketball game. Des Moines is home to the USHL Buccaneers. First 2011-2012 home game will be October 1st.
"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." - Robert Heinlein
Cpt Banjo
Fretful leader of the Quat Quartet

Post by Cpt Banjo »

UGA Lawdog wrote:Real American men do not tolerate soccer.
Speak for yourself. Anyone with an appreciation for athletic skills and incredible stamina (you try running up and down a 105 meter pitch for 90 minutes (or 2 hours if the game goes to penalty kicks) with no substitutions or time outs) should tolerate it very nicely. It'll never replace baseball, football, or basketball, but it's a lot better than watching hockey or (yawn) Nascar.
"Run get the pitcher, get the baby some beer." Rev. Gary Davis
Imalawman
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Post by Imalawman »

Kestrel wrote:
Imalawman wrote:4. Sports - There's the Iowa Cubs, Barnstormers (arena football), Iowa energy (minor league NBA), the minor league soccer is a must miss.
Why does everyone keep omitting the hockey teams? I've had more fun at minor league hockey games than at any arena football or basketball game. Des Moines is home to the USHL Buccaneers. First 2011-2012 home game will be October 1st.
HA, a Des Moines Bucs game is a very interesting experience. It's like something out of a movie. Lots of alcohol, cursing, and of course many, many fights.
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

Cpt Banjo wrote:
UGA Lawdog wrote:Real American men do not tolerate soccer.
Speak for yourself. Anyone with an appreciation for athletic skills and incredible stamina (you try running up and down a 105 meter pitch for 90 minutes (or 2 hours if the game goes to penalty kicks) with no substitutions or time outs) should tolerate it very nicely. It'll never replace baseball, football, or basketball, but it's a lot better than watching hockey or (yawn) Nascar.
To me, it's every bit as boring as hockey, NASCAR, tennis or golf. I've heard people go into raptures over the athleticism of a 0-0 tie in soccer; but to me it's marginally better than watching the grass grow.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

Brandybuck wrote:Work will be sending me to Iowa soon, ...
What did you do to deserve that?
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
Brandybuck

Post by Brandybuck »

Judge Roy Bean wrote:
Not sure what I did wrong. Trying to figure it out so I can amend my ways... :?

Seriously, my job has me travel on occasion to clients on-site. This client happens to be in Iowa.
Imalawman

Post by Imalawman »

Judge Roy Bean wrote:
Hey! There is nothing wrong with Iowa. Screw you Judge! :twisted:
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

Imalawman wrote:
Judge Roy Bean wrote:
Hey! There is nothing wrong with Iowa. Screw you Judge! :twisted:
Didn't someone send one of my Igors there?
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
Nikki

Post by Nikki »

Imalawman wrote:Hey! There is nothing wrong with Iowa.
At least when you compare it to Camden, NJ.
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

Nikki wrote:
Imalawman wrote:Hey! There is nothing wrong with Iowa.
At least when you compare it to Camden, NJ.
Even worse -- Elizabeth, NJ. I was there once, In January of 1976; and that's once too many.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

webhick wrote:Didn't someone send one of my Igors there?
You referring to that combine harvester in the Witness Protection Program?
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

The Observer wrote:
webhick wrote:Didn't someone send one of my Igors there?
You referring to that combine harvester in the Witness Protection Program?
Details. He was replaced.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie