All Good Things...

A discussion of the better things in life, including music, the arts, wine, beer, cigars, scotch, gambling the Quatloosian way, travel, sports, and many other topics. [Political and religious discussions and the like should stay off-site.]
Doktor Avalanche
Asst Secretary, the Dept of Jesters

All Good Things...

Post by Doktor Avalanche »

My enlistment contract with the US Navy ended Sunday after eight years of service.

I'm back to being a civilian again. Think I'll grow my hair out.

Maybe fire up a doob... :lol:
The laissez-faire argument relies on the same tacit appeal to perfection as does communism. - George Soros
nikki2

Re: All Good Things...

Post by nikki2 »

Thank you for the eight years you put in for us.
Doktor Avalanche

CaptainKickback wrote:
Doktor Avalanche wrote:My enlistment contract with the US Navy ended Sunday after eight years of service.

And complain how "it wasn't like that when you were in the Navy." :lol:

Besides, I would have figured you want something from the rum family........
You figured correctly. I would like a bottle of Bacardi 151.
The laissez-faire argument relies on the same tacit appeal to perfection as does communism. - George Soros
Doktor Avalanche

nikki2 wrote:Thank you for the eight years you put in for us.
Thank you, Nikki2.

Is that you, Nikki, and what happened to your original account?
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

Doktor Avalanche wrote:
My enlistment contract with the US Navy ended Sunday after eight years of service.

And complain how "it wasn't like that when you were in the Navy." :lol:

Besides, I would have figured you want something from the rum family........[/quote]

You figured correctly. I would like a bottle of Bacardi 151.[/quote]

Don Q and Gosling's also make excellent 151 proof rum... and let me add my thanks, Dok, for your service to us all.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

Pottapaug1938 wrote:let me add my thanks, Dok, for your service to us all.
[aol]Me too.[/aol]
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
Prof
El Pontificator de Porceline Precepts

Post by Prof »

wserra wrote:
Pottapaug1938 wrote:let me add my thanks, Dok, for your service to us all.
[aol]Me too.[/aol]
me too
"My Health is Better in November."
fortinbras
Princeps Wooloosia

Post by fortinbras »

Me three.

PS: Keep a complete file of your military records, especially injuries and illness, sick calls, combat engagements, etc. It will help enormously if you should ever need to make a claim for V.A. benefits.
Cathulhu
Order of the Quatloos, Brevet First Class

Post by Cathulhu »

I'm a fan of Cruzan, when it comes to rum. Since I'm not doing booze these days, please have one for me!
Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to. T. Pratchett
Always be a moving target. L.M. Bujold
Mr. Mephistopheles
Faustus Quatlus

Post by Mr. Mephistopheles »

Congratulations and thank you very much for your service!

(even if reservists never do anything very important) . :wink:
Doktor Avalanche

Mr. Mephistopheles wrote:Congratulations and thank you very much for your service!

Of course we don't do anything important - it's all cake and ice cream in the reserves. Just ask our resident expert -the guy who never served a day in his life. :lol:
Mr. Mephistopheles
Faustus Quatlus

Doktor Avalanche wrote:
Mr. Mephistopheles wrote:Congratulations and thank you very much for your service!

Of course we don't do anything important - it's all cake and ice cream in the reserves. Just ask our resident expert -the guy who never served a day in his life. :lol:
I wonder if Lapdog thinks the five crewman on Extortion 17, the Chinook that was shot down recently, weren't doing anything important? They were all reservists too.
Mr. Mephistopheles
Faustus Quatlus

CaptainKickback wrote:
Mr. Mephistopheles wrote:...

I wonder if Lapdog thinks the five crewman on Extortion 17, the Chinook that was shot down recently, weren't doing anything important? They were all reservists too.

Or this fine fellow, a reservist called back up to active duty in the Korean War. A man who upon careful reflection deemed 6:1 to be the proper ratio of gin to vermouth when making a martini. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archie_Van_Winkle

Also, our previous president was also a reservist, as was his father, as was President Reagan. President Truman served in France in WWI when his Guard unit was called up. Yep. Darn shame reservists never actually do anything, as opposed to lawyers who have recently become presidents, like President Obama and President Clinton. UGa's in good company. :roll: :wink:
You've mentioned Van Winkle in the past but I was never aware of the extent of his service. A true Man's Man. Thanks for the wiki link, I've added another book to my reading list.
Cathulhu
Order of the Quatloos, Brevet First Class

Post by Cathulhu »

And count me for a big thank you also! Dok, I cut all my hair off recently, so please grow yours out, the universe is out of balance until you do. 8)
Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to. T. Pratchett
Always be a moving target. L.M. Bujold
nikki2

Post by nikki2 »

A large number of reservists have been recalled as back-fill for troops who were deployed overseas. Just because they're not fighting doesn't mean they're doing nothing.
Mr. Mephistopheles
Faustus Quatlus

UGA Lawdog wrote:
We've been through this before. The full import of what I said was this...we've been fighting two wars since 9-11. Anyone in the reserves or National Guard who, in the last 8 years, has never been called to active duty, isn't someone terribly important. Those men on the Chinook had been called to active duty.
Be careful not to trip while you're backpedaling. :wink:
And it's not just my opinion. One of my best friends from high school recently completed 20 years of active duty in the Navy and retired. He was also suspicious of anyone not called to active duty in recent years. So many reservists and Guardsmen have done tours in Iraq, Afghanistan, or both.
That's one of the tidiest examples of Argument from Authority I've seen in a long time. Now it's my turn! My authority on the subject is a former roommate who is a Colonel in the Guard/Reserves. He enlisted in the "reserves" about 30 years ago and has served Active Duty Reserve for about the last 25 years. My Authority, who has served in the "reserves", has served active duty longer than your Authority, has had his unit deployed both stateside and in the Middle East, says you're full of shit.
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

UGA Lawdog wrote:...
And it's not just my opinion. One of my best friends from high school recently completed 20 years of active duty in the Navy and retired. He was also suspicious of anyone not called to active duty in recent years. ...
Then he was seriously paranoid and shouldn't be in the service.

And, btw, thanks, Dok!
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
Mr. Mephistopheles
Faustus Quatlus

UGA Lawdog wrote:Did Mephisto, aka Jon Lovitz, post some more blather? This Ignore feature works great. :D
By all means, run away.

I'm curious: if you have me on ignore then why did you respond to my earlier post?
Doktor Avalanche

nikki2 wrote:A large number of reservists have been recalled as back-fill for troops who were deployed overseas. Just because they're not fighting doesn't mean they're doing nothing.
Let's see:

South Korea, Japan, Spain, Greece, Kuwait, Diego Garcia, Qatar, Antarctica, Yemen, Germany, Iceland, Guam and yes Iraq.

All of it active duty. Yeah...that's a whole lot of nothing happening there. 8)
Doktor Avalanche

UGA Lawdog wrote:
Judge Roy Bean wrote:Then he was seriously paranoid and shouldn't be in the service.
You don't even know the guy but think you can diagnose him? :roll:
But we know you. :twisted: