All Good Things...

A discussion of the better things in life, including music, the arts, wine, beer, cigars, scotch, gambling the Quatloosian way, travel, sports, and many other topics. [Political and religious discussions and the like should stay off-site.]
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Re: All Good Things...

Post by Imalawman »

Thanks, Doc, you can finally enjoy civility...uh I mean, civilian life.
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown
Doktor Avalanche
Asst Secretary, the Dept of Jesters

Post by Doktor Avalanche »

So I'll take back what I said about you.

God knows I wouldn't want to be accused of saying something false or untrue.

Thanks for clarifying.

And by the way - I seem to recall you were moved to write me a PM thanking me for saying that in public about you.
The laissez-faire argument relies on the same tacit appeal to perfection as does communism. - George Soros
JamesVincent
A Councilor of the Kabosh

Post by JamesVincent »

Thanks Doc, always good to see a fellow get out alive.

As far as Reserves not serving in a full time status, or "doing anything" as you put it, also remember that the Guard in particular is kinda the President's police force, including Force Protection roles. How many airports were guarded by National Guard members after 9-11. Or, something I did, went to LA after Katrina to guard Pharmacies and Banks from looters until more permanent solutions were enacted? Alot of the bases were guarded by National Guard until most of them went to private security contractors. I for one served during both Gulf Wars and never went overseas. The first one we were scheduled to ship as a replacement unit and the ground war was over so fast we werent needed. The second one I re-enlisted and volunteered for deployment but ended up destroying my knee in a training exercise and spent 3 years here until I finally medical-ed out. Then again, a friend of mine has done 5 tours in Afghanistan and 6 in Iraq as a Guard member. Hes getting ready to retire in the next year at 41 years old with 22 years in.

So the importance of what any reservist does is all relative and if you never served you really dont have a clue.
Disciple of the cross and champion in suffering
Immerse yourself into the kingdom of redemption
Pardon your mind through the chains of the divine
Make way, the shepherd of fire

Avenged Sevenfold "Shepherd of Fire"
Lambkin
Warder of the Quatloosian Gibbet

Post by Lambkin »

Doktor Avalanche wrote:
nikki2 wrote:A large number of reservists have been recalled as back-fill for troops who were deployed overseas. Just because they're not fighting doesn't mean they're doing nothing.
Let's see:

South Korea, Japan, Spain, Greece, Kuwait, Diego Garcia, Qatar, Antarctica, Yemen, Germany, Iceland, Guam and yes Iraq.

All of it active duty. Yeah...that's a whole lot of nothing happening there. 8)
Hey, you can always pile sand bags. With global warming there will be plenty of demand.
Doktor Avalanche

UGA Lawdog wrote:It's too late for any retractions, boychik.
No it isn't. If you want to retract any notion that you're a good lawyer (and you have), I'm certainly willing to oblige you.
The laissez-faire argument relies on the same tacit appeal to perfection as does communism. - George Soros
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

CaptainKickback wrote:
UGA Lawdog wrote:It's too late for any retractions, boychik.

You've already been hoisted by your own petard.
Don't you have to pay extra for that? It's what I've heard.......
Yeah, but if the lady is an expert, it's worth it. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
Doktor Avalanche

UGA Lawdog wrote:My record speaks for itself.
It used to, until you took it down. :lol:

http://lawyers.law.cornell.edu/lawyer/h ... am-1481620

I especially liked the part about the phone call.
Parvati
Demigoddess of Volatile Benevolence

Post by Parvati »

CaptainKickback wrote:Whoever is in that picture really has weak chin-fuzz fu. Either shave it off, or sport a full on many moustache and goatee (a la Mark McGwire). What is in the photo is something a hipster-douche, poser, wannabe would wear, along with his Diesel jeans and Ed Hardy shirt - just like Mark Gosselin - only paler.

Also, whoever is in that picture should get a proper measuring for their shirt, especially the neck. As a thick necked individual, getting measured properly and getting a shirt that fits well in the neck is a joy - plus it keeps you cooler and avoids unsightly neck-fat rollover in the back.

And snappy, well maintained and well polished shoes - because people notice when shoes are bad/ugly/in poor shape.

I am very lucky in that my job does not require the wearing of a tie, but every once in a while I do go to events that require it, and when I roll up, the shirt is pressed and clean and properly sized. The neck tie is looking good, and the shoes are ship shape and in Bristol trim.

Word of warning though - for out on the town, snake skin shoes can be tricky as they can freak out some people, either because they don't like snakes, or because they have some compunction against snake skin accessories. Frankly, if you are going to buy snake skin, you might as well buy alligator.
I LOL'd. (Based on your shirt-collar opinions alone, I think you would get a kick out of Paul Fussell's Class.)
"The risk in becoming very intimate with a moldie Parvati is that she may unexpectedly become a Kali and take your head."--Rudy Rucker, Freeware
“Most men would kill the truth if truth would kill their religion.”--Lemuel K. Washburn.
Dezcad
Khedive Ismail Quatoosia

Post by Dezcad »

CaptainKickback wrote:Whoever is in that picture really has weak chin-fuzz fu. Either shave it off, or sport a full on many moustache and goatee (a la Mark McGwire). What is in the photo is something a hipster-douche, poser, wannabe would wear, along with his Diesel jeans and Ed Hardy shirt - just like Mark Gosselin - only paler.

Also, whoever is in that picture should get a proper measuring for their shirt, especially the neck. As a thick necked individual, getting measured properly and getting a shirt that fits well in the neck is a joy - plus it keeps you cooler and avoids unsightly neck-fat rollover in the back.

And snappy, well maintained and well polished shoes - because people notice when shoes are bad/ugly/in poor shape.

I am very lucky in that my job does not require the wearing of a tie, but every once in a while I do go to events that require it, and when I roll up, the shirt is pressed and clean and properly sized. The neck tie is looking good, and the shoes are ship shape and in Bristol trim.

Word of warning though - for out on the town, snake skin shoes can be tricky as they can freak out some people, either because they don't like snakes, or because they have some compunction against snake skin accessories. Frankly, if you are going to buy snake skin, you might as well buy alligator.
Hopefully, this post will lead to a UGALawdog v CKB cage match. Keep hope alive!
Parvati
Demigoddess of Volatile Benevolence

Post by Parvati »

CaptainKickback wrote:Parvati, I try to write what I know about, and having a 19" neck, I do know about the difference, fit and feel of shirt collars that are a tad too snug.

I did not mention that if the person in the photo really wanted to "put on the dog" as it were, he should make sure his slacks and suit pants have the necessary buttons for suspenders.
When it comes to business attire, the clothes really do make the man, don't they?

My DH is a 6-footer and wears suits on a weekly basis. I helped him with the collar fit issue shortly after we met. (Off-the-rack collars weren't cutting it for him--they were either cutting off his air supply or displaying what Fussell terms a "prole gap" in the back.)

I also added button-on suspenders to the package, and had a tailor add the buttons to his existing suit pants. I don't care if you're built like Cap'n Jack Harkness or Robbie Coltrane--if you need suspenders, the classic Y-shaped variety are far, far more flattering than the clip-on X type. Those just scream Old Farmer.

(When I met the guy, he had spent most of his life wearing nothing that wasn't black so he wouldn't have to worry about matching things. I kid you not. But then, he *is* an engineer....)
"The risk in becoming very intimate with a moldie Parvati is that she may unexpectedly become a Kali and take your head."--Rudy Rucker, Freeware
“Most men would kill the truth if truth would kill their religion.”--Lemuel K. Washburn.
Doktor Avalanche

UGA Lawdog wrote: In any event, I was thinking more along the lines of 304 Ga. App. 563, 697 S.E.2d 253. Eat s**t and die. :twisted:
Ok...
304 Ga. App. 563, 697 S.E.2d 253 wrote:In this case involving a permanent protective order prohibiting Jonathan Huggins from stalking Karen Boyd, Huggins appeals the trial court's denial of his motion to set aside the order, arguing that the trial court had no personal jurisdiction over him. Because it is undisputed that Huggins (a South Carolina resident) engaged in the stalking conduct only outside Georgia, and because it is further undisputed that Huggins engaged in no other conduct (persistent or otherwise) in Georgia, we must reverse.
http://webservices.lexisnexis.com/lx1/c ... 1loc=FCLOW

So you got a restraining order reversed on appeal because Mr.Huggins (admittedly a stalker) didn't commit said stalking in the state of Georgia?

This was a simple matter of jurisdiction. The security guard could have argued this before the appellate court in Georgia and I'd have gotten the exact same results.

Yeah...somehow this doesn't rise to the level of Brown v. Board of Education but good on you for getting a stalker off on a technicality. :roll:

So this is it, huh? This is what I'm supposed to bask in the gloriousness that is you over, is it? This is what I'm supposed to "eat sh*t and die" about?

Pardon me while I laugh my ass off on this one. :lol:
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Post by Imalawman »

Alright, move along or this is going to flame wars. Enough already.
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown